PDA

View Full Version : Animators Are Some of the Happiest Workers in America, Survey Finds

lifeofillusion
10-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Hurray...more on this right here. (http://abtheanimator.blogspot.com/2008/10/animators-are-some-of-happiest-workers.html)

Shady3D
10-17-2008, 08:11 AM
that's nice thing to know :beer:

elektronaut
10-17-2008, 11:36 AM
actually they are right.... i'm feeling happy doing my work :D

Aneks
10-18-2008, 02:11 AM
yeah..... come and do a survey round any production company 11pm on a Sunday night when the client has asked you to go back 4 versions and tweak something that never should have been changed in the first place....... real happy.

yenvalmar
10-18-2008, 03:36 AM
but most jobs are annoying ALL THE TIME. at least sometime we get to do cool stuff~!

sundialsvc4
10-18-2008, 03:50 AM
yeah..... come and do a survey round any production company 11pm on a Sunday night when the client has asked you to go back 4 versions and tweak something that never should have been changed in the first place....... real happy.
I assure you, that is the same in all industries. "If we could only eliminate 'customers' ..." :surprised

jipe
10-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Interesting numbers... but it's important to keep in mind that AnimationMentor has a vested interest in promoting the idea that the animation industry is full of happy, well-paid, extremely content workers. And yes, I know they contracted a third-party to collect/analyze the data, but so do tobacco companies. It doesn't automatically invalidate the results, but a healthy dose of skepticism doesn't hurt. One important question to ask is, "What did they leave out?"

I would have liked to see some comprehensive results for questions about job security, studios' overall attitudes toward their employees, and the reality of unpaid overtime, as well as a more detailed response to the current glut of talent the industry is facing... but I understand why that stuff isn't in there. Why be a negative nancy when the school takes in over 10 million a year (gross revenue) by selling the dream?

Page 17 has some pretty interesting statistics that are easily glossed over:

-- Only about 40% of those surveyed would recommend employment at their company to friends and family

-- Less than 40% thought they would still be a professional animator in 12 months (seriously? wow)

-- Just over 30% thought they were fairly compensated for their work (of course I'm sure most people feel under compensated, it's probably human nature, but still)

Some interesting stuff to chew on. Still, despite the obvious positive slant, it's cool to see someone collecting and sharing data about the industry.

yenvalmar
10-18-2008, 06:00 AM
still it doesnt suprise me at all to hear that animators in general are happier than average with their jobs- after all i dont think anybody got into this just to make money- there is some element of personal enjoyment inherent in pursuing a career in animation in the first place- so if you turn out to succeed professionally- its pretty cool!

of those statistics only #2 seems concerning to me, and that is probably tied to the economy in general if you havent heard the news. i dont want to work with my friends or family either, come on, its not smart. and yes, everyone is underpaid except people who dont take surveys.

as far as i can tell the lame things about animation jobs are far from unique to animation jobs- whereas the benefits (getting to create animation or 3d art for a living) ARE unique- so, i've stuck with it, although i did get really burned out on the unpaid overtime, i have found more creative solutions to that problem than giving up on doing 3d for a living. mainly, working less. which does not mean spending less time making 3d art, just less time doing it for some idiot with money ;)

there are also peoople who have money that ARENT idiots (props to the people for whom i am rendering right this second, you guys rock) and those are the times when i really feel happy to be a PROFESSIONAL animator too.

Stinkfist
10-19-2008, 07:57 PM
I guess this doesnt apply to game animators, there must be jobs far more enjoyable than having the pleasure of tweaking 200 second attack loops over and over again until your brain melts and oozes out of your nostrils. Or cleaning mocap clips, that could turn any man into a drooling idiot.

Seriously, I enjoy unwrapping UV's far more than anything that has to do with animation. No, Im not bitter... not at all..

yenvalmar
10-20-2008, 05:54 AM
i would have rated my job satisfacition much lower if you caugth me when i was working full time doing game loops :)

not to get too far off topic but dont let that ruin animation entirely for you- it did for me for awhile but im glad i got back into animating, i jus dont do game loops anymore.

lifeofillusion
10-20-2008, 07:51 AM
very interesting views...keep them coming guys! cheers!

unchikun
10-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Heh, the research was funded by animation mentor. Thats like RJ Reynolds doing "independent" research on the health benefits of cigarettes ;)

toonafish
10-20-2008, 06:04 PM
aaah, that's that funny feeling I've been having lately....happiness!

:D

depleteD
10-20-2008, 07:41 PM
I was forced into this by my parents.....everyday I wakeup yearning to fullfill my dream ov becoming a firetruck.. :(

Njen
10-22-2008, 09:21 AM
I was wondering if we could get the link straight to the article next time, and not to some blogspam. Last time I checked, this wasn't Digg...

ysvry
10-23-2008, 03:18 AM
off course this is biased, they hope to get new schollars saying working in animation is fun, i'd say its fun but 3d modeling is even funier any body needs some blender lessons ;)

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2008, 03:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.