PDA

View Full Version : Game Icons - Vehicle / character - DaveMcD

davemcd
06-10-2003, 10:07 AM
this fell out of my head today and onto paper.... Looks like i'll have to bend to the will of my brain and actually build this thing..... oh gosh will i actually submit a challenge? :surprised

Once i finished drawing it i thought perhaps the feet might be a bit too Buzz lightyear (not sure how that happened) so i may change them by the time i get to modelling it.

DaveMcD

http://blinkworks.com.au/images/challenge/pacifier4000.jpg

Oh yeah.. the concept... Well action adventure shooter game with puzzle elemets.... Joker (thats the kid) has escaped from an EVIL laboratory where they were preforming genetic experiments on babies to turn them into the ultimate killing machines. Now he's on a one baby mission to free all the other little munchkins and rid the world of the EVIL DOCTOR SPATZOID! Join him on his explosive adventures across 16 sprawling levels of Burparific mayhem

:)

Dhin
06-10-2003, 11:01 AM
I love the bottel/flame thrower on the arm there. Nice style, very unique. :applause:

Good Luck

davemcd
06-10-2003, 04:28 PM
cheers Dhin, you can thank my inability to be able to draw a decent gatling gun, for the bottle flame thrower. Ideally as a final game concept you'd be able to replace the arm weoponry with other items as you pick them up..... Now to just come up with other baby related armaments that dont involve sticky brown smelly mess.

DaveMcD

davemcd
06-11-2003, 07:14 AM
http://blinkworks.com.au/images/challenge/p4000_blocking.jpg

heres an update. Basic blocking at this stage, the tri count sits around the 1500 mark so plenty to play with at this point. I used a geosphere as the base for the cabin so i could get a much better shape for the poly budget.... all the rest is pretty rough at this point and i have not concentrated on gettting the tris right there yet.

comments and crits appreciated.

DaveMcD

okse
06-11-2003, 12:00 PM
That coming together nicely, nice concept too. Looking forward to seeing the end results.

Okse

My Game Icon submission. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67207)

MY SITE (http://www.okse.co.uk)

SpaceJASE
06-11-2003, 09:26 PM
That's coming along nicely!

I think it may be a challenge to get the whole baby in addition to the robot within the 4K limit. But it sur ewould be cool! I'd like to see the baby pop out of his seat when he gets hit. Hope you don't have to cut off his lower half cuz of polys... :)

The flame-thrower-baby-bottle rocks!

Stygian
06-11-2003, 11:40 PM
man I love the character concept and the Full Metal Jacket reference :wip:

davemcd
06-12-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by SpaceJASE
That's coming along nicely!

I think it may be a challenge to get the whole baby in addition to the robot within the 4K limit. But it sur ewould be cool! I'd like to see the baby pop out of his seat when he gets hit. Hope you don't have to cut off his lower half cuz of polys... :)

The flame-thrower-baby-bottle rocks!

well i'll have to double checkbut my early questions on the rules indicated that the mech is the vehicle and the baby is the character... so they should be allowed to be up to 4K each (though i doubt i'll use that much) . The vehicle will pretty much be my submission for judging though i will build the baby as well if i dont run out of time.

The baby would be able to get out (the arms lift him in and out ) and wander around to solve puzzles / open doors / get into places the mech cant. I think the baby would also be able to carry weapons and have a range of attacks as well.

When the robot runs (very comically mind you) the baby would bounce about inside like he's barely in control.

Cheers for all the comments and suggestions all.

Stygian: yeah i couldnt resist it once i'd drawn a helmet on plus the whole 'born' pun was irrestible :)

DaveMcD

mtmckinley
06-12-2003, 03:47 AM
I would think that in this case, the baby/robot would be considered one character, as in the "game" would the baby every leave the cockpit? (voluntarily, anyway).

I think that's what they mean. Mods, feel free to verify or correct.

Very cool concept and work so far!

davemcd
06-12-2003, 12:58 PM
yeah the idea would be for the baby to be able to get in and out of the mech at will..... the tops flips back and the arm yanks the baby out of the seat and dumps him on the ground, and yanks him back off the ground when he wants to put him back in again....

I've asked a Q in the challenge issues thread and see what the mods come back with.... whatever the ruling i'll just work within that constraint..no biggie. (but its always nice to have more poly to play with), if worst comes to worst i might alter the design to be less rounded, most of the polys are in the cockpit area...

DaveMcD

CANIM8
06-18-2003, 04:31 PM
That is one freaking hilarious concept...."killer baby". Born to kill...hahahahah I can't stop laughing about that. Too funny!

Nice modeling as well. Good luck.

canim8

davemcd
06-19-2003, 02:55 AM
Cheers CANIM8.

I'm trying to find time in my day to get back to do some modelling. I was meant to be relatively free for the last 2 days while waiting for client approval on a job i'm doing but somehow i've still been flat out. Man running your own business makes you sooo busy....

DaveMcD

davemcd
06-20-2003, 10:52 AM
update....
Not much but a little more modelled... currently sitting at about 2800 tris.... hmmm that can be lower for the detail you currently see i'm sure....

I'll probably change the feet..i think its crying out for two really big toes on it...

http://blinkworks.com.au/images/challenge/p4000_blocking2.jpg

DaveMcD

CANIM8
06-21-2003, 04:46 AM
How about incorporating "Diaper Genie" into the design somehow? Maybe a weapon of some sort......just popped into my head...What a great concept..so many hilarious ideas for this one..

canim8

davemcd
06-21-2003, 07:35 AM
hehe... well i was thinking of a weapon that used diapers as parachutes for cluster bombs.... you'd shoot a heap of them high out over the enemy and they'd slowly fall to the ground and explode all around them....

DaveMcD

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.