PDA

View Full Version : Can't save as .psd - error message appears

Cinot
10-16-2008, 11:16 PM
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/3491/psderrortm5.png

Modo 302's help didn't help much. Sometimes this error message doesn't appear and I can find a .psd file, but Photoshop CS3 says it has corrupted end of file.

Modo's help said I have to save project firstly, which obviously I did.

brianod
10-17-2008, 01:22 AM
I saw this option a while back but didn't understand it. To save a SCENE as a psd file would generate a lot of 3d geometry that Photoshop wouldn't understand. To save a TEXTURE as a layered PSD makes sense so that the layers could be individually tweaked outside of PS then imported back in to Modo.

What are you trying to accomplish saving the scene as a psd? I know that PS CS3 can import a 3d model and let you paint on it but that's not a scene, just a model.

I must be missing something here but save scene as PSD is an option so it must do something.

Ignore above. This does work but does not export geometry, just a psd file of layered textures in your scene. When you do get a successful save, a message says that layered files will be flattened and that's true, within each material. However, each separate material will show up as a layer in the psd. Here's what I got using a friend's Modo on a Windows platform. My guess is that you didn't have any layered materials in your scene when you tried to save.

Learn something new every day.

Cinot
10-17-2008, 01:44 AM
I saw this option a while back but didn't understand it. To save a SCENE as a psd file would generate a lot of 3d geometry that Photoshop wouldn't understand. To save a TEXTURE as a layered PSD makes sense so that the layers could be individually tweaked outside of PS then imported back in to Modo.

What are you trying to accomplish saving the scene as a psd? I know that PS CS3 can import a 3d model and let you paint on it but that's not a scene, just a model.

I must be missing something here but save scene as PSD is an option so it must do something.

The main purpose of using Modo is to create 3D sketches of, for example, environments and convert them for 2D for paintover in 2D graphic program (Photoshop or Painter). In that way, I would have a easy way for composing and getting correct extreme perspectives. Thierry Doizon (aka Barontieri) uses this technique. Rainart too.

I though saving 3D model in .psd will give a file containing two layers (or more, depending on that how much layer with 3D objects you have (?)) - first layer is a background, second with 3D objects as 2D on transparent layer, etc.

By the way, since I'm a beginner, I would like to ask few things:

1). Is there a good non-video tutorials, or better quickstart? I'm nearly deaf, so video are no-no ;)

2). How to set camera sitting in one point and moving view angle with mouse - exactly as in shooter games? Let's say we have 3D model of verrry tall building and I want to catch a frame from human eyes looking at building's top.

brianod
10-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Well, I don't think it works that way. Saving a modo scene as a psd only saves materials, and apparently only those materials that have at least one additional modo texture layer.

No geometry appears to be in the file and it shouldn't be because Photoshop wouldn't know what to do with it.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you want to accomplish but it sounds like you need a compositing program like After Effects or Combustion.

You need to just render your models in modo without a background element being rendered, then render the background as a separate file and composite them together in an external program.

Let me try and explain what save scene as psd does. In this first image, I created a sphere in modo and selected 3 different bands of polygon rings, assigning a different LAYERED material to the top (a flower scene), the middle (a wooden slat) and the bottom one (the three stooges). When saved as a PSD scene in modo image 2 is what I get opened in Photoshop, basically each material, in total separated into 3 separate layers within the psd file. There is no geometry, no model in the scene when saved this way.

If this is confusing I think it's because you can't do what you want to do by saving the scene as a psd. It's really for texturing outside of modo and re-importing after editing/painting. I really think compositing is what you need to do to accomplish your task.

Theres only one modo book, dan ablans book which is pretty good. It has videos on a cd with it but you can get most of the info just reading and following the projects along with the book.

http://www.amazon.ca/Official-Luxology-modo-Guide/dp/1598630687

Cinot
10-17-2008, 12:12 PM
That clears things, thanks for putting so much effort, brianod!

Now I will try to explain what I meant :P I will use screenshots from Gnomon screnshots of Barontieri's video tutorial "Character Design Pipeline Production"

Firstly, he uses 3D program to create rough 3D models. After he's done with it, he moves camera to catch the best frame/composition.

http://images.thegnomonworkshop.com/img/screengrabs/thd01/thdd.jpg

Then he moves everything to Photoshop:

http://images.thegnomonworkshop.com/img/screengrabs/thd01/thdf.jpg

And paintover it:

http://images.thegnomonworkshop.com/img/screengrabs/thd01/thdg.jpg

There's example of2D/3D combination I want to learn:

http://images.thegnomonworkshop.com/img/screengrabs/thd01/thde.jpg

Basically, I need to learn how to move camera, build basic models and deformations, create simple light and convert everything to Photoshop.

brianod
10-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Well, yeah, then rendering just the model in modo with the background turned off (so as to not render) and save the render with an alpha mask.

Then compositing a background element.

Actually, you can import your background image within modo as a reference image and then move the model around (the camera around) till you get the right perspective. Then render just the model and composite the original background image with just the model in Photoshop and you should get the effect you want. This is usually referred to as camera matching and is used by architects a lot.

It will help if you make the camera icon visible in your scene when modeling because it's turned off by default.

Good luck!

Cinot
10-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Well, yeah, then rendering just the model in modo with the background turned off (so as to not render) and save the render with an alpha mask.

Then compositing a background element.

Actually, you can import your background image within modo as a reference image and then move the model around (the camera around) till you get the right perspective. Then render just the model and composite the original background image with just the model in Photoshop and you should get the effect you want. This is usually referred to as camera matching and is used by architects a lot.

It will help if you make the camera icon visible in your scene when modeling because it's turned off by default.

Good luck!

I'm slowly learning using the modo's interface. I've managed to make a 3D model with transparent background, save it as .png and open it in Photoshop. Thanks!

But, still, I can't figure out how to enable camera and light points icons - I can transform them, it isn't much intuitive.

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2008, 02:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.