PDA

View Full Version : School Help

swoods
10-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Hello everyone!

Before I go into the true reason of this posting, I'd just like to introduce myself since I believe this is my first posting here...so HI!

Anyways...so, I've been an artist all my life. When I went to college I decided that I'd leave art as my hobby so it wouldn't get tainted by mixing it in with the word "work", and I decided to go into the health field. As I took courses in this, always studying, I realized that I had no time for my work anymore and how much I missed my art, which got me to think that I probably would have no time for my art later on in life if I didn't do something with it now...so I switched majors.

Now...it feels weird. I don't really have a direction for my work. I don't feel like the word I used to do reflects who I am today. I love art, but I don't have any passion for it since all science classes and intense studying kind of wore me down. I felt a lot better once I switched majors...like this is what I'm supposed to do, but if you don't have enough life left in you to have passion for you, how can you make good work?

Has anyone else that's been through art school felt similarly, or does anyone have advice to help perhaps give my work direction again and reinspire me? Thanks...

Kanga
03-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Yes I had that once, but not from school, from freelancing. It's a kind of burnout I guess. Just do a bit each day without pressure and the zing will come back.

Good luck man.

tempelaars24
03-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I have the same problem at the moment. I am doing a bachelor in Visual Imaging, its not quite what I as after but it was the closes thing in town to be able to learn how to do animation, specifically modeling.

the other classes leave me quite angry sometimes as the Academic way of doing things seems to contradict what I have seen and learnt from my own personal research of the business. So what I did is i set asside 1 day where I just do what I want to do in the way I want to do it. Without following the rules just doing what I want. It kinda helps alot, and I tend to feel the love of what I do come back (even though Im just starting out lol). It also helps cause im still practicing my skills and what not, and do on occasion find that what im being taught can in some small way apply to some of the things that im doing.

I hope that helps some, give it a try you never know.

Rebeccak
03-27-2009, 06:27 AM
You might consider medical illustration?

I don't think it's realistic to deny oneself in totality the things that we love. Just take some classes in things that you enjoy - it's something you should do throughout your life. :) We're human, not machines, afterall, and you should be happy that you have a passion to pursue. Pursue it! Even if it's "just" for enjoyment.

If you're feeling worn down, I would suggest taking a break. There's nothing that will make you more appreciate school than working. ;) I'm quite serious actually. Working might re-whet your appetite for the love of learning.

Also, burn out is a serious concern. I faced this after school and it's a state conducive to depression. I think its important to take time out and time off when feeling burnt out or stressed - or at least to switch tracks, slow down, or otherwise rejuvenate oneself as a person. The bottom line is, you have to take care of yourself.

Kanga
03-27-2009, 08:53 PM
BTW. forgot to welcome you to the education section and cgtalk since I didn't see it was your first post!

You can slap me later,... right nowI have uvs to do :)

Cheers Chris

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2009, 08:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.