PDA

View Full Version : Game Icons - Character - Ionanism

ionanism
06-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Iíve noticed the just about every one who has an entry in the challenge has there own thread about their entry, so I figured I might as well have one too, so here we go.

I just entered in my character today even though I have been working on it for a while. I do have some concept drawing on my character but since I have no scanner I canít post them. But I was thinking of barrowing my dads digital camera and taking pictures of them.

So if any one is interested in seeing them for entertainment or for reasons that pertain to the contest (I read that you need to show your drawings somewhere) just ask to see them, or if you are a moderator tell me to show them, and I will.

Lee3dee
06-10-2003, 02:27 PM
i would like to see them :). U know, u could go down to your local kinko's and scan it. It may be a couple of bucks, but u'd have a digital copy to show. just a suggestion:)

ionanism
06-10-2003, 10:47 PM
Wow I didnít think I would get any sort of reply what-so-ever, but it looks like I just did.

I mentioned that I have sketches, and since Hirigashi has asked to see them and being a man of my words, here they are:

This is the back of the guy, with some other drawings of how I wanted the muscles to work.

Just on a little personal note: I hate Kinkos, but thanks for the suggestion.

ionanism
06-10-2003, 10:52 PM
here is a drawing of the front view with a really bad head drawing that I dont like at all.

ionanism
06-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Here are my first drawings of the creature.

Right now I am working on some head designs. Iíll post those as soon as I have enough to show. At the moment I only have 3 designs and only one is halfway decent, but I will probably include the bad ones too just for the fun of it.

baaah888
06-11-2003, 12:53 AM
Looking good so far, :thumbsup: I could imagine a character like that in Diablo 2 or something, The concept work is coming along nicely.

ionanism
06-12-2003, 06:51 AM
Like I said I will post my head designs so here they are.
These are some of the head designs that I came up with one day, most of them are crap but I think one is good enough to use.

ionanism
06-12-2003, 07:23 AM
Here is the head model, shown at numerous angles, you can probably tell which design I chose if you look at my drawings. It came out surprisingly low on the poly count. I thought it would have been "heavier"

ionanism
06-23-2003, 07:36 AM
Here is some of the story behind my character:

The game is a 3rd person action game Based in the modern day I suppose there will be some serious use of heavy weaponry involved in the gamplay. The character I have created is the lead Alien in an invasion of earth; he has released legions of his creation onto the earth to capture the people of earth for slaves and for torture. You may find that he looks a bit like the devil, which is no coincidence. All of the legions and descriptions of the devil are based on this guyís last visit to earth thousands of years ago. His supply of human torture victims has since run out and he is back for more.
He looks different because he has mad a few enhancements to himself over the years. 4 extra scorpion like arms for shooting disabling venom and stabbing victims, Gone is his one pointy tail, he now has 4 that are used like an octopuses tentacles used to capture victims with, by stabbing them and pulling them in. You play as the hero trying to defeat him and rescue people from the creatures that he has unleashed. Iím thinking it would be cool if you had to fight him numerous times throughout the game, every time you defeat him he just flees back to the mother ship till you finally corner him in a epic battle with the dark lord himself back in the mother ship, where you defeat him, and while he is regenerating himself you plat a nuke to blow up the ship and flee using some trained horse like beast that can fly you away out of harms wayÖor use some sort of teleportation device. Defeating him and saving the worldÖ THE END.

Stygian
06-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Kinda sounds like the stargate plot or it could just be that its 5 am keep up the good work

ionanism
06-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Now that you mention it, I suppose it is kinda like Stargate, maybe the way you defeat him should be in a different way, the way I posted is way too much like the movie. Also, He is taking people more for his sadistic pleasure of torturing them (images of hell, his ship being hell) rather than for slave labor, which I guess is similar but different. But the whole part about Satan being based on an evil alien visitor from long ago is nothing like Stargate.

ionanism
06-23-2003, 11:41 PM
Just another addition to the game play and story, Part of the game will revolve around you trying to find the mothership, which is hidden beneath the earth somewhere, maybe in a volcano, or crater, some place hell like.

ionanism
06-28-2003, 10:58 AM
I just wanted to make a quick post on my progress before I go off on a weekís vacation.

This is were I am at with the textures on my devil creature, Iím still not done with it and I won't be able to work on it for a whole week, itís like some sick torture. I hope I can get it done in time.

ionanism
07-10-2003, 02:54 AM
I just got back from a little vacation on Monday looking forward to working on my guy again. The dead line is coming up fast, hope I get it done in time

I wasnít able to post yesterday for some reason, the server must have been messed up cus every time I tried to post it gave me errors saying that it was unable to create thumb nail

ionanism
07-11-2003, 07:40 AM
Well time is just about up and this projects deadline is coming up fast. I think I am done with the devil alien finally. I posted my character sheet today, and donít think I will be making anymore changes between now and the deadline, but you never know, I am kinda anal-retentive, so I might still be tweaking it up to the deadline.

Does anyone know exactly what we are to submit? Iíve noticed there is suppose to be an announcement.

Iím not quite sure if I have good enough shots of the guy on the sheet, I wanted to show the whole character from head to toe, but at that far off you loose detail, and the texture maps loose all the high frequency detail like wrinkles on the character sheet. But what can you do.

ionanism
07-12-2003, 11:11 AM
I just spent all day today optimizing my characters mesh to fall within the poly ďtriĒ limit, re UVW unwrapping and re skinning. Iím surprised I got it all done to in one dayÖwellÖ almost, itís pretty late right now, but who needs sleep.

The whole time I was modeling my guy in the first time I was using 3ds maxís poly object and I was using the face count of the polys as the guide for my polygons, but then I read the guidelines again and they mentioned tris, and every one was using ďtrisĒ to refer to there poly limit, then I was thinking a polygon is square and a tri is a triangleÖ so a polygon, or square would be made of 2 triangles, which left me with double the tris I am suppose to. So I figured Iíd better get my guy down to the limit (which I barely did) Iím just kinda bothered that no one pointed that out to me earlier, but I guess its each man for himself, its my fault for not knowing the difference between a poly and a tri.

I think I should be able to get the shots that are required done in time, not that I have a chance to win, with all the great entries.

baaah888
07-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Hey ionanism i know that feeling, I have posted that in a few threads on other sites but not mentioned it recently,

I always work in Edit Poly, as its alot better for box modeling

but at the end of each session i convert to editable mesh and do a polycount. Before undoing the change to edit mesh and saviving it.

well its a learning process and being stung teach's better. at least when you did it it wasn't for a module on your degree like i did :) i had an all nighter and handed it in 5 mins before the deadline. and i got 71% for it :beer: so it turned out ok.

i like your model so you'll be fine :thumbsup:

frakke
07-12-2003, 03:46 PM
I like the character design. Lot's of stuff going out of it's body :thumbsup: The texture is well done as well.

@baaah888 :
I posted this in another thread also, but here goes again.
With the STL check modyfier on the top of the stack you can get the correct tri count + check the mesh for various stuff that's nice to know, like open edges etc. :)

ionanism
07-13-2003, 12:13 AM
Hey thanks for the words of advice guys, they should come in useful, especially the bit about the STL modifier, I never head of that modifier before, I guess I should use it.

Yeah Itís a learning process, I have never done any of this before, (UVW Unwrap a character, skinning it and make texture sheets for it) so It has been great learning experience for me. I was familiar with most of before but never used it in any sort of practical application other than just playing around with them.

So thanks again, baaah888 and frakke.

Well here is a quick side by side comparison of my new and old mesh.

ionanism
07-13-2003, 02:41 AM
front 3/4

ionanism
07-13-2003, 02:43 AM
Front 3/4 wire

ionanism
07-13-2003, 02:44 AM
Back 3/4

ionanism
07-13-2003, 02:47 AM
Back 3/4 wire

ionanism
07-13-2003, 02:50 AM
Sheet 1

ionanism
07-13-2003, 02:51 AM
Sheet 2

ionanism
07-13-2003, 02:54 AM
close up of head

ionanism
07-15-2003, 06:50 AM
Well that was a very fun experience for me; I thoroughly enjoyed itÖ its nice to have some work to do that is in the creative realm, it made me feel like I had an actual job to do.

Does anyone know when the voting starts and how it works and how long does it take? So we can move on to the next challenge.

Iím getting anxious to do some more work on something, being unemployed in the industry really leaves the creative drive with in me starving to be creative.

I look forward to the next challenge. I hope the next challenge will be something my computer can handle though, it choked up on skinning my low poly model, and I donít think it will fair too well with a high res model, but thatís my prob to deal with.

Rey
07-18-2003, 04:57 AM
Your entry turned out really good.
The head is really cool.
Good luck with the voting.

ionanism
07-18-2003, 07:07 AM
Hey thanks a lot Rey!

Iím just glad I got done with him; I didnít really think I could finish it, but I did. I am really happy with the way he turned out, especially the head, that was the part I thought I would totally mess up, cus I never modeled a head before let alone texture one, but it turned out nicely I was especially surprised with my own texture job on the head.

As for the voting, I am surprised by the number of votes I have, there are currently people that I thought had better work than my own that I currently have more points than, it just comes as a surprise, not that I think I have a chance to win there are defiantly some great entries out there with skills that far surpass my own.

Your entry is looking really cool.
Good luck to you also.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.