PDA

View Full Version : Question: Maya to Unreal

baloothebear
06-10-2003, 06:23 AM
I have been working in UT2003 editor and I was wondering if anyone knew how to get My static mesh to the editor... I am running maya 4.5. I know there is a plugin for the Maya PLE but I don't want to use the learning edition :annoyed:

pyromania
06-10-2003, 06:34 AM
Download the actorX plugin from Epic's site, http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Content/ActorX/

copy it to your C:\Program files\Alias Wavefront\Maya\bin\plug-ins dir. Start maya and load the plugin. Then go to your MEL command line (white box on the bottom left side of maya) and type axmesh. You will get a pop-up window with various options for exporting your mesh.

baloothebear
06-10-2003, 06:59 AM
Thanks for that ok now I have the plugin but how do I bring it into UT2003 editor :banghead: Sorry for sounding stupid.

pyromania
06-10-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by baloothebear
Thanks for that ok now I have the plugin but how do I bring it into UT2003 editor :banghead: Sorry for sounding stupid.

The maya plugin will export a .ase file. Once you are in UnrealED go to your Static Mesh Browser, then goto File>>import open the .ase file.

baloothebear
06-10-2003, 07:11 AM
awsome... I owe you big time...:beer:

Raventengu
06-11-2003, 01:18 PM
Be aware that doing a model in maya and rigging it to one of Unreal skeletons can be easy if you know some basic stuff up front.....The biggest thing is dont for get to rename the weapon and flag hand on a charater....

Normal model meshs go in pretty smoothly just character stuff gets a little tricks;)

baloothebear
06-12-2003, 03:35 AM
I actually was worrying more about static meshes for level design, thanks anyways... but since we are on the subject does anyone know about how can I get my texture to go with my static mesh? I hope that makes sense!

TheBeast
06-12-2003, 10:15 AM
If you've already UV mapped the SM in maya then in the Static Mesh browser, then just go to the Textures browser in UnrealED, File > Import your texture to a new package/whatever texture package you want.

Then, click the texture for your static mesh so it's highlighted, then go back to your SM in the Static Mesh browser. Under the view of your SM, there should be a line that says Materials, click the + next to materials, and then click the + next to [0]. Then click next to where it says Material, and press Use, to load your texture in. Then it should show up on your model. If your SM has more than one texture, then just repeat this texture applying for the other numbers [1], [2], etc.

baloothebear
06-12-2003, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah very cool, thanks for helping me out everyone you all rock :beer: and if anyone can answer me this simple question when I save my testures out of Photoshop as a targa should it be 16bit, 24bit, 32bit?

:bounce: :scream: :beer: :airguitar

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.