PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the definitive character texturing/shading tutorial

ArjunM
10-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Does anyone know of good character texturing tutorials out there? Or has anyone written any? I'm a little clueless about this aspect, and I want to do something a lot more realistic and deeper than the famous Joan of Arc model. I've tried many places- 3dTotal, HighEnd3d, 3dTutorials and places like Tutorialized and Good-Tutorials, but while modelling tutorials are easy to find, texturing tutorials are not found so easily. I'm also looking for a tutorial on how to 'complete' a character model, such as adding and colouring clothes, accessories and hair.

lhitch
10-16-2008, 11:04 PM
I just recently finished Paul Fedor's photorealistic texturing workshop for the female head, offered by CGSociety. $500, but worth every penny. That was his 2nd offering of the workshop, I'm sure there will be another.

It's based on the notion that only photographic resource material will produce photorealistic textures, you can't paint them. I agree. The process uses projection mapping to accurately map the texture to the mesh; it's a bit complicated and tedious, but the results are incredible.

It's the same process from the "Essence: The Face" book by Ballistic Publishing. The book shows the result of this process, but doesn't really go into how to do it. I know, cuz I bought the book, and didn't get it at all. After I took the workshop, I went back and re-read the book, and am still conviced that it doesn't make much sense unless you already understand the process.

Worth the investment in time and money.

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2008, 11:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.