PDA

View Full Version : Screw modeling matters

Gallaghan
10-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Hi all,

since Tuesday, I'm struggling with a screw.
I'm looking for a solution to have the great wire.
Actually, when the smooth is activated, there's a bounce in every corner.
I tried many ways of placing the wire from the middle (kind of plane) to the sphere of the object.
Those corners are making me a little nervous and the final image will be a close up so i can't continue with a bounced modeling.
So it's sound and taste like an easy modeling but you'll see...
Any ideas anyone ?
Thanks for the help.

Dmacb
10-16-2008, 08:01 AM
hi!

Sorry... I initially thought you had just one edge and you're wanting that the smooth didn't messed up with your work... but it's not that... You don't want the round look on the corners, right?

Thykka
10-16-2008, 08:58 AM
you need a few additional cuts

Gallaghan
10-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Nice try Thykka and thanks for the answer but i already try it and the big matter is that if you have 5 edges for one vertex it won't works...

korthuran
10-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Have you tried moving the vertices around a little and adjusting it manually? It doesn't look like a pinch really so I don't know if adding more geometry will really help.

Might also try bringing those edges in closer. It could make it so small it's not even noticable.

johnnymoha
10-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Thats what I was thinking. It looks like if you adjusted the edge loop that you have around the hard edge then you could get what your looking for. It could be allowing a more smoothed edge where the loop is farther away. Not sure If that's what you mean.

SpiralFace
10-16-2008, 05:16 PM
have you tried Chamfering the edges with a VERY low setting to only give it a SLIGHT bevel to it. This should get the edges a bit more under control.

Gallaghan
10-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks a lot everyone.
I tried all your suggestions and i can't have the perfect mesh for a perfect screw.
So i decided to post the original file .max for those you want to try and understand the difficulty of this exercise.
Winter is coming and the weather told us not to go outside so...
Have a nice modeling time.

Guillaume

sundialsvc4
10-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Umm... I guess I fail to see what is "so screwed-up" ;) about that screw.

In the real world, after all, screws are certainly mass-produced and there are slight consequent variations on the surface of every single one. No matter how close you stick the camera up against your model, "it's gonna look like a screw." No one except a CG artist is too-likely to sweat bullets about the presence or the absence of a bevel.

Or is it just me? Am I missing something here?

SpiralFace
10-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Umm... I guess I fail to see what is "so screwed-up" ;) about that screw.

In the real world, after all, screws are certainly mass-produced and there are slight consequent variations on the surface of every single one. No matter how close you stick the camera up against your model, "it's gonna look like a screw." No one except a CG artist is too-likely to sweat bullets about the presence or the absence of a bevel.

Or is it just me? Am I missing something here?

Well, this might be true for the model itself, but too uniformally sharp edges give an unatural sharpness to the shading and rendering. While tihs can be fixed with a smooth on the models durring rendering, if the mesh isn't prepared to recieve a smooth by having some extra geometry around the edges, it won't look all that good.

sathe
10-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Just created a video tutorial on this topic as per request.

http://d.imagehost.org/0157/FlatHead-Header.jpg
http://cgchain.com/Flathead.php

NSF
10-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Sheesh Sathe, you're omnipotent, either that or you just don't sleep.

Glad the tute got to it's intended recipient though, well, if they've logged in and seen it.

I was thinking something though, with what you were mentioning about how many sides the sphere had to have, I see what you mean about the geometry in 2 axis relative to the side but there's a simple bit of maths to solve this...just set the number of sides to be divisible by four. And to be safe, make sure the result of the division is even. So 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48 etc. I guess it could work for when the result is odd, just haven't looked into it. (12, 20, 28, 36, 44 etc)

Oh yeah and why, when 8 sides makes a perfect circle do we need 32 for this?

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2008, 09:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.