PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Cycle

Mojo Rizen
10-15-2008, 06:20 PM
We use 4D for our animations and don't get every upgrade. I would estimate we do about every other major upgrade. There is that evil budget word that we have to contend with and animation is only part of what we do.

That being said I was wondering, on average how often do you or your company upgrade 4D.

If you post a response please include if your upgrade is related to work or personal.

Thank you for any and all responses.

dann_stubbs
10-15-2008, 06:42 PM
We use 4D for our animations and don't get every upgrade. I would estimate we do about every other major upgrade. There is that evil budget word that we have to contend with and animation is only part of what we do.

That being said I was wondering, on average how often do you or your company upgrade 4D.

If you post a response please include if your upgrade is related to work or personal.

Thank you for any and all responses.

unfortunately with maxon you pay the same in the end - so it is better to just upgrade every cycle and at least stay current.

also the bundles are the best value - the Studio bundle being the best and in the end worth the greater initial cost

both apply to individual and corporate purchase - but with individual it mostly matters if you can justify the expense to upgrade at all

dann

DaveD
10-16-2008, 02:31 PM
At work we average about every other upgrade. Sometimes it has to do with budgets and when the money is available, sometimes it has to do with whether or not the latest version has anything that we absolutely need that will make our lives easier.

We have some sort of upgrade subscription deal through Adobe where we automatically get all the updates whenever one comes out. This kind of winds of being a necessity when sharing files with printers and such. In the end it works out great since it's always a consistent line item in the budget we can plan for. It would be great if there was something similar for Cinema.

Srek
10-16-2008, 02:44 PM
It would be great if there was something similar for Cinema.

http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/cinema4d/service_e.php

Cheers
Björn

Shane W
10-16-2008, 06:37 PM
http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/cinema4d/service_e.php

Cheers
Björn

Hey Srek, I called Maxon US and they told me this will not be offered in the states??

-Shane

DaveD
10-16-2008, 08:01 PM
I hope it's offered in the states since that's exactly what I was hoping for and I've already passed the info along to our purchasing dept.

Srek
10-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Hey Srek, I called Maxon US and they told me this will not be offered in the states??
I'm not involved with MAXON US sales so i can't comment.
Cheers
Björn

3DKiwi
10-17-2008, 06:28 AM
If the service agreement is not worldwide then shouldn't the page say so? I didn't see any mention of it being restricted by country and the drop down box lists most countries ironically with the USA as first entry.

Nigel / 3DKiwi

helluvapixel
10-17-2008, 09:13 AM
I talked to Steve at Maxon US, the service agreement is a no-go because Tech Support is free for US/North America and they'd like to keep it that way so no service agreement since it would mean charging for support.

DaveD
10-17-2008, 11:04 AM
How does that make any sense? Tech support should have no bearing on that agreement as the software would still be purchased. That sounds a little like a line I'd expect to hear from a used car salesman.

imashination
10-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Its a bit odd yes. In my experience, companies want service contracts mostly to keep the accounts team happy. If you have to pay for each and every upgrade one at a time, that usually means writing up a report for the wallet holders on why this upgrade is needed, how itll save the company money etc.

If these companies can have a signed contract, then they just get the latest version whatever and whenever it may be dumped on their doorstep without jumping through the hoops with their accounts department.

Saying "if we offered this product, we would have to charge everyone else for support" is a bit ummm.... Did he really say that?

basilisk
10-17-2008, 11:33 AM
I get the upgrades when there is a job to pay for them, and there is a new feature that will make a real difference in the result or workflow.
The new GI renderer is a case in point - faster and much better quality for animation - justified pretty much straight away (I guess if I had shelled out on VRay, the upgrade would have been more difficult to justify)

3dj
10-17-2008, 12:58 PM
AAAhhhhaaaa, now it makes sense why I never heard from anyone at Maxon when I filled this form out weeks ago. (Sigragh week I believe) Bad business practice. Atleast let me know what's going on, I have been putting off upgrading until I heard what the deal was.

-Jim

helluvapixel
10-17-2008, 03:59 PM
How does that make any sense? Tech support should have no bearing on that agreement as the software would still be purchased. That sounds a little like a line I'd expect to hear from a used car salesman.

I hope Steve doesn't mind me quoting:

My Query:
Is Maxon going to be offering a maintenance type subscription fee? I thought I saw something about that, and having a guaranteed maintenance makes it easier to budget and approve.

Steve's Response:
Maxon is offering this in Europe only. In the states, we decided not to, because part of the maintenance package was upgraded tech support. In the US, we already had free tech support and didin't feel the need to start charging for it.

I understand where he's coming from, as many companies use this model to cover technical support and software upgrades. I guess there's a balance how things are done in the North American market versus the Euro/UK/Overseas. Of course I have no way to comment as I don't know any specifics.

However, all that written could there not be a software only subscription?

rickei
10-17-2008, 04:07 PM
so why not just offer it for cheaper in the states, without the "upgraded tech support" option?

DaveD
10-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the info Jason although It'd be helpful if Maxon could officially weigh in here with their reasons.

To me the primary purpose of this sort of contract is spelled out very concisely in Maxon's own words: "The MAXON Service Agreement is ideal for companies working with fixed budgets - no more surprises when planning next year's expenses." To this end, tech support is not an issue and shouldn't disqualify anyone from taking advantage of the deal.

Erik Heyninck
10-17-2008, 05:36 PM
To return temporarily to the original questions:

- That being said I was wondering, on average how often do you or your company upgrade 4D.

I upgraded and updated every time from 6 up to 10.111. 10.5 was not really my liking and the upgrade fee to 11 is too high for what it offers me. I know the consequences, so this is the end of the line for me.
I'm not whining or complaining as the modeling tools got plenty of attention in earlier upgrades and it was high time to get a better renderer (where are the days when writing this was considered a kind of blasphemy...) and expand the animation dept (NLA). But as modeling is my kind of game, and UV-ing is easier and the renderer is also very good for an in-built one, Modo was the better choice for me. Seen the fact that I live in Europe, it was financially about as expensive as the upgrade of what I have, and it offers me more what I really use.
It was not exactly an easy decision, but I do feel I made the right choice.
Which does not mean that I dump my 10.111, and if a new and interesting plug-in pops up...

- If you post a response please include if your upgrade is related to work or personal.

It's a personal choice, I don't work for a company and I don't have to make a living from 3D.

Mojo Rizen
10-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback and the other commentary on this thread. It sound like we are similar to others that may not upgrade every time and have to compare benefits of upgrades to budgets.

We are currently back on 9.5.07 and our workload has been light, but I’m hopping we can swing an upgrade and get some more projects to explore all the new options, some of which aren’t even new anymore.

CGTalk Moderation
10-17-2008, 08:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.