PDA

View Full Version : IK leg problem...

Shaykai
06-09-2003, 11:15 PM
Hello, i'm attempting my first rig and when i made my second IK handle (the first one worked fine) the 'white arrow' is pointed in the wrong direction, making the leg bend in the wrong direction. Does anyone know how to make it point in the right direction? Thanks

Shaykai

http://www.incendiastudios.com/weird.jpg

Matt Leishman
06-09-2003, 11:37 PM
I would suggest that before you put any ik's on the legs, first you should bend your leg at the knee slightly and then go Skeleton > Set Preferred Angle. Then rotate your leg back to its zero state. Then lay out the ik from hip to ankle.

I always draw out my leg joints with a subtle bend in them already so that maya can automatically know how to interpret where the knee should go when translating the ik up in the y axis. Its looks as tho (in your pic) that you have drawn your legs straight, therefore my advice is to bend the knee a little and set its preferred angle. Hope that helps.

pyromania
06-10-2003, 12:17 AM
You might also want to check the local rotation axis for the hip joint. IK handles will tend to align themselves with the Z axis, of the first joint. So select your hip joint, go into component mode, choose Misc. "?" and try rotating the axis for the hip joint, so that Z is forward.

Shaykai
06-10-2003, 12:17 AM
thanks, i'll try that right now.

Shaykai

Shaykai
06-13-2003, 11:21 PM
I tried sith's suggestion and it didn't seem to work (or perhaps i was doing it wrong?). I just need some way to make the white arrow point straight forward. :(:( Please help meeee

Shaykai

pyromania
06-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Well if you are really in a bind, and can't get it to work "ANY OTHER WAY" you can always adjust the twist attribute in your channel box to get it to point the right way.

This is not the correct way to fix this problem. If you hand the model off to an animator they will probally yell at you because twist will have a non zero value. So try and re-rig the leg to do it the right way.

Shaykai
06-14-2003, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the last resort information. I'll try re-rigging it, and if all else fails i'll use your technique. (hehe the animator won't yell at me since i'm the animator) :D

Shaykai

loked
06-15-2003, 09:49 PM
I would seriously recommend re-rigging this leg with the knee slightly bent forward.

You could also create a pole Vector constraint and move the pole vector control in front of the knee. I'm not sure if this is a good idea though. It will give you control to move the IKhandle's vector's to face whichever way you want and then you can delete the control and the constraint and it will stay facing that direction.

Let me know if you dont get what I mean.:thumbsup:

Later!:wavey:
Loked

Shaykai
06-17-2003, 09:18 AM
Ok, so heres what happened. I Just said screw that model and built a model out of spheres and cylinders (ironically, it was ony slightly less complex than my real model which made me realize i need to spend more time modelling :cool: )

I built it with bent knees and bent elbows and all the IK worked out great! I'm really glad there is a forum like this that is so helpful and giving. Thanks to all those that helped me, expect an animation in the next few months :) (and possibly some small test animations sooner, i plan on making front page with this one)

Shaykai

mayanimation
06-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Simple way around it. When you draw your leg skeleton in a straight line, the solver doens`t know where to bend.
take the bone of the lower leg before drawing the IK and rotate it manually in the direction you want it later to be bend by the roteteplane IK solver. now, when it is bend right klick over lowerleg bone choose set preffered angle. now you rotate it back where you startet and draw the ikHandle and the rotateplane solver knows which direction to bend.:rolleyes:

Shaykai
06-22-2003, 12:01 AM
Thanks, i'll be sure to try that on my real model, thanks mayanimation.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.