PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Film School (VFS) programs

eddyg519
10-14-2008, 04:07 PM
good morning,

I'm heavily interested in 3d Modeling & Animation so i've decided to save up and goto school for this. One of the best schools (if not THE best) in Canada is just a province over in BC. I'm talking about VFS of course. Does anyone know of this school? From what I've read and seen (demos etc) this is a pretty fantastic place to enroll for this type of career. I had a few questions about it tho.

I've asked about the program "3D Animation and Visual Effects Program" which is more of what I want to get into but they also have Game Design. I'm wondering if I should enroll in this program because its more of what I want to get into but at the same time I want to be able to cover a large area of the field (I.E special effects for cartoons/movies etc - not just games). Would game design cover that? I'm assuming it covers more then just 3dsm/standard software packages as you would be modeling for consoles as well.

The cost for the program is a staggering $32,000 for one year (which I thought would include a license of max or something but it doesn't). I know it is suppose to be a 4 year course sort of slammed into 1 year but I think its a little bit steep.

The main thing I want to know from the community is if I decide to go thru with this and succeed will there be a job waiting for me at the end? I've always been the type of person to get the best that I possibly can and education is certainly one of them!

Have you heard great things about the school? I know the website makes it all glamourous but I Would rather ask here at a respectable 3d website/forum as you all seem to know whats going on!

cheers and best regards,
Eddy

kees
10-14-2008, 09:57 PM
The main thing I want to know from the community is if I decide to go thru with this and succeed will there be a job waiting for me at the end?

McDonalds is always looking for people, so sure, there is a job waiting for you when you are done. :D OK lame answer, but there is going to be no guarantee you will get a nice CG job.

Nope.

If you are good at art and work really hard at school, you stand a better change of finding a job in your first year after school, but it usually takes a lot of effort outside of finishing your education to move ahead in this industry.

The Vancouver Film school is certainly a better place to give it a try then most CG schools, but that by itself means little for job guarantees.

CG is just not like some other fields where jobs are relatively easy to be found once education is completed. Sometimes you find one quickly, sometimes you never end up with a job you wanted.

Via-Art
10-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Short answer, NO. You can never be guaranteed a job in ANYTHING, nvm art. But the McDonalds joke was dirty my friend haha.

Kirt
10-14-2008, 11:40 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=69427