PDA

View Full Version : basketball dribble

d_jnaneswar
06-09-2003, 09:58 PM
hi guys.

i have a humanoid character and i set up its rig. i want him to dribble a basketball. now how do i go about doing that? do have to keyframe the ball seperately? since i want him to slamdunk it, wont it be too tedious to keyframe the ball to stick to his hand as he jumps and slams?

any related tut will be of great help.

please enlighten.

thanks.

stzaske
06-09-2003, 10:18 PM
We'll I'm no expert here, but I'll explain one scene I animated with a bouncing basketball.

I point constrained the ball to a locator, and then point constrained that locator to three other locators. One in each hand (if you plan on doing any crossover moves) and one one a locator I called "BB_Landing". Then you only need to animate the "BB_Landing" location and then what hand its bouncing back to. I used a separate rotation contraint to control ball rotation, and I animated that later. I used expressions to squish the ball as it reach 0 on the y axis.

A couple things to keep in mind:

1. Create a character with REALLY long arms. I animated a child character and noticed almost immediated that the large ball to child ratio made it extremely hard to dribble because my character could hardly reach the top/center of the basketball. There just wasn't enough extra arm motion to aim the ball and push downwards. Also, since my character was so small, it was extremely hard NOT to dribble on his toes. So I STRONGLY suggest you build a character with REALLY long arms, or at least large compared to the ball.

2. Video tape yourself dribbling. You'd be amazed how much time you spend palming the ball and how much of the time the ball spends at the top of its arc.

Good luck, -=STZ=-

d_jnaneswar
06-10-2003, 04:39 AM
thanks stzaske,

that was a good idea. i feel it working already.
i will try it out and then post the animation in the wip section.

thanks again.

anthonymcgrath
06-10-2003, 09:29 AM
cant wait to see it!

loked
06-12-2003, 01:18 AM
Hey,

I just landed a contract where we are building a character for a basketball show on TV. It's really coming along nicely and is looking awesome. I cant wait to actually start making him play though. Once it's complete, I'll also post some stuff. Right now though, here is a pic of what the ball looks like.

http://infused.f2o.org/Back2Back/site/images/basketball.jpg

Later:wavey:
Loked

anthonymcgrath
06-12-2003, 09:10 AM
that looks sweet man. Got 4just like it at home hehehe!

modi
06-16-2003, 09:47 AM
Whoah, why is everyone making a film on Basketball, i'm currently working on a basketball fim. I'm not very good at modelling, but i'm having fun with him.

http://www.modianimation.com/newpose.jpg

stzaske , his arms are really long, i mean really long. it almost touches the ground when he is standing upright.

loked - Any tips on texturing the ball or other realted stuff u are working on, some pics would be cool.

Cheers.

GO SPURS!!! :bounce: :buttrock: :beer: :beer:

loked
06-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Hey Modi,

I saw your character somewhere else actually and I really liked it alot. I think it's got a really nice feel to it. The character that I'm working on is not really allowed to be shown as of yet. Once I'm allowed to go public with him, I definitely will put some pics up.

In terms of helping with texturing the ball. I really just used photo's from a ball and painted it in photoshop. I have a bump, spec and color map.

Keep us posted, I really want to see more of your character!!:thumbsup:

later:wavey:
Loked

markbones
06-17-2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by stzaske
A couple things to keep in mind:

1. Create a character with REALLY long arms. I animated a child character and noticed almost immediated that the large ball to child ratio made it extremely hard to dribble because my character could hardly reach the top/center of the basketball. There just wasn't enough extra arm motion to aim the ball and push downwards. Also, since my character was so small, it was extremely hard NOT to dribble on his toes. So I STRONGLY suggest you build a character with REALLY long arms, or at least large compared to the ball.

2. Video tape yourself dribbling. You'd be amazed how much time you spend palming the ball and how much of the time the ball spends at the top of its arc.

stzaske - I agree completely. For my final school project/animation I did a basketball animation, and the arm issue definitely came up - my character's arms were just too short to do crossovers and between the legs, etc. Locators and contraints are a great idea (should have done that too).

stzaske
06-17-2003, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by loked

In terms of helping with texturing the ball. I really just used photo's from a ball and painted it in photoshop. I have a bump, spec and color map.

eh? I found texturing the ball to be one of the TOUGHEST parts of my assignment. How do you keep the poles from pinching your texture?

I posted a message here on cgtalk a long time ago seeing if ANYONE could actually bump map a basketball, and got no takers, so I'm curious to know how you accomplished it. Texturing a perfect sphere is trickier than it seems.

-=STZ=-

anthonymcgrath
06-17-2003, 09:26 AM
isn't there some clever way using the rectangular to polar co-ordinates plugin on yer texture in plopshop?

modi
06-18-2003, 09:25 AM
Hey Loked, i just happened to check out ur website and in the gallery section i saw some of the pics related to basketball, awesome stuff. As i mentioned earlier i'm working on a basketball film and i was wondering if u could give me any tips on how u made the net for the hoops.Did u model the net or is it a texture with transparency an dare u using dynamics to animate it?? So many questions, would be cool if u could give me some tips.

Here is something i'd done earlier, its just a pose test(still on stepped) and its IKJOE, my new char would be doing tons of things like that and more exaggerated
http://www.modianimation.com/slam.avi
cheers - Modi.

anthonymcgrath
06-18-2003, 09:40 AM
I like this man Loked - he's got it sorted. There are indeed two things that matter - basketball and animation. nuff sed.

loked
06-18-2003, 09:49 AM
Hey Modi,

Thanks for the compliments. The latest job I'm working on is a completely new basketball character and he's a lot hotter than the one's you see there. Once everything is said and done I'll show you it.

I really like your animation :bounce: I think it's awesome!!

In terms of making the net, I dont remember exactly how I did it then, but I would probably go with a cylinder and texture it with a opacity maps and all that. If you going to get really close up to it, then you might want to actually model everything. Either way I'd make it a softbody or use cloth to drive it with Wraps. Which ever one suits you better.

Please feel free to ask any other questions:thumbsup:

Hey anthonymcgrath,

Without a doubt, those are by far the only two things in life that matter. Do you actually play ball ?? I came on a tour to England and played against the national team while playing for the South African national team.

Loked

anthonymcgrath
06-18-2003, 10:13 AM
Yeah Loked, been playin on and off for about 8years now so not really all that long. I was playing for a team not so long back (nothing like the national team mind!!!) but fractured ankle and wrist year or two ago has slowed things down somewhat. Getting better but not like it was. thems the breaks I guess!
got a court over the road from where I live so at least I can keep on top of my 3's if nowt else! :D not easy mind with busted wrist still playin up and of course the absolutely rotten british weather but neither are really an excuse hehehe!

Funny how your from South Africa - I used to live there myself when I were younger (sprog size mind!) and my longterm girlfriend and her family are South African too! If your ever over in Britain again, let us know man wont ya! :)

I'm looking to do a character doing some dribblin tricks in a similar manner to the nike freestyle ad but need new pooter to get started on it.

loked
06-18-2003, 10:24 AM
I've got a lot of family there. My mother is originally from England and all her brothers still live there.

I'll definitely let you know next time I come through!!

I'm busy working on a similar thing, basically using AND1 mixtapes as reference to do some fancy dribbling things. It's going to be used for a basketball TV show here in South Africa.

What part of South Africa did you live in??

loked

anthonymcgrath
06-18-2003, 10:59 AM
I was living in a town called Ermelo in the Transval (transvaal is it?) which wasn't far from Johannesburg I believe. It was pretty quiet then tho from what I remember - things have changed a bit :/
I'd love to see any of the work your doing on this basketball TVshow. Is there anything online? I've been in that field of work myself (tv titles, animation and the like) for the past 6yrs myself so I'm definitely interested in your progress on it. Whats the telly work you get there like then? Have to say - its really quite diluted in the UK - everyones in this field in some way or another.

AND1 - makers of some of the comfiest gear around hehe! they haven't actually had their gear over in the uk all that long (from what I've seen) but its definitely the illest. Am sat in one of their tops right now actually!

loked
06-18-2003, 11:09 AM
AND1 is all I wear :bounce: They dont sell it here, but I was living in the States for a while playing ball, so I got alot of it there.

The character that I'm working on isn't really allowed to be made public yet, so I cant show anything as of yet.

I think it might be a good idea to rather chat over email, cause I doubt people want to listen to us talking about Ball and South Africa the whole time :)

my email address is judd@backtoback.co.za

By the way, where can I check out some of your work??

loked

anthonymcgrath
06-18-2003, 11:21 AM
yeah, good point hehe!

my email is
ant@mere-mortals.com

you should be able to see alot of examples of my work on
the www.mere-mortals.com website. just click on Creative Services, then animation. You can download divx animations off the site.

The website isn't my work and neither is the company ident which seems intent on using sperm lots, but most of the telly work on the site is mine and has been done in the last 3years. I'm quite a fan of 'Grubbs' which you'll see on there - if you've seen any of Gorillaz vids and liked them, you might like it!

bit peeved too - just noticed my 'room' animation is up on there which is a first project that I never finished as I'm looking to remodel characters.

anyway, I'll let you have a snout - and I'll send you a quick email now to confirm my email address with you :bounce:

markbones
06-18-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by anthonymcgrath
I'm looking to do a character doing some dribblin tricks in a similar manner to the nike freestyle ad but need new pooter to get started on it.
That's exectly what I did for my final animation at school. I don't want to put a disclaimer on my work, but it the first time that I had ever animated anything... here goes:
Windows Media (http://www3.sympatico.ca/markbo/dimension/freestyle.wmv)

Quicktime (http://www3.sympatico.ca/markbo/dimension/freestyle.mov)

:bounce:

anthonymcgrath
06-19-2003, 01:35 PM
heh! that looks ill man!! I love the rim rattle!

loked
06-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I gotta agree that animation is awesome:bounce: I'd really like to see it once it's all done.

Keep it up :thumbsup:

loked

modi
06-19-2003, 06:49 PM
thanx guys, finally some ballers in cg-talk. If u guys ever comedown to SF give me a buzz we should go shoot some hoops. I play ball for my school and i used to play for a club. My short film is kinda about how i feel about basketball. Thanks Loked for the tips on the net. I'll post a few more animations with my new guy doing crossovers et all. Cheers .

anthonymcgrath
06-23-2003, 01:44 PM
hey chaps - thought you might wanna know you can pull down the nike ball advert off the following site:
endless noise homepage (http://www.endlessnoise.com)

click on the reels section and you cant miss it. its not very big but boy is it rotoscopable hahaha!

you might wanna check that link out too Loked!
ant
newcastle
uk
4real

loked
06-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Hey Anthony,

Thanks for the tip:thumbsup: I'll go check it out a bit later.

loked

PauHana
06-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Hey Modi,
What school do you play for? College ball?

Peace,
PauHana

modi
06-30-2003, 05:29 AM
hey PauHana, i play for an art school(Academy of Art), we don't have much of a "team" as such but we are getting it together and we'll be playing a tournament soon. Cheers.

PauHana
06-30-2003, 06:21 AM
Cool! Give me a heads up and I'll come watch! I live in San Francisco too. We usually play ball over at Pixar (friends from different game and film studios) on the weekends and up in Marin (game studio guys) during the week. We used to play at EA...but my buddy ended up leaving for Digital Domain, so we don't have access to that kick ass gym anymore:-( I wouldn't necessarily call us "ballers", but we have fun.

I guest spoke at a game character animation class over at your school a year or so ago. Nice facilities.

Peace,
PauHana

modi
06-30-2003, 06:36 AM
cool, i din't know they had a basketball court at Pixar. Yeah, i'll let u know, we used to play down at the YMCA embarcadero in Spring but the school's not paying for it in the summer. Gotta wait till fall i guess. I usually play down at 30th and Church , just pick up games, lemme know if u wanna go. Cheers.

anthonymcgrath
06-30-2003, 09:32 AM
hey Loked - looks like everyones using this spot to talk ball - hehehe!

we could even set up a website dedicated to all those who got love for ball and cg. Heres some names:

www.White-Men-Cant-CG.com

www.aboveTheNurb.com

www.Cartesian-Space-Jam.com

anyone got any others
hehehehehehehe! pmsl@oj

(peeing myself laffing @ own joke)

loked
07-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Hey Ant,

I just got back from holiday. Was actually at a provincial basketball tourney.

It's cool to see that there are so many baller/cg people out there.

Forget 3d festival, we must hold a 3d baller's festival, where we get together, submit our work and play ball against each other :)

Pixar people ball and have a court?? I gotta come work there ;)

loked

PauHana
07-06-2003, 08:18 PM
Pixar has a small outdoor court. It's nice...with plexiglass backboards.
PDI has a real nice gym. I haven't been there, but if you look at http://www.dreamworks.com...check out the studios link.
EA has an awesome gym with their logo in the middle of the court and electronic score boards...pretty sick stuff. I miss playing there.
It would be great to have a little league of animators that like to play.

Peace,
PauHana

loked
07-06-2003, 10:11 PM
A league would be impossible, but a once a year or once every two years tournament would be awesome. I would definitely come and I live all the way in South Africa :thumbsup:

For now, we'll just have to stick to dreaming about it:)

loked

modi
07-06-2003, 10:16 PM
A league for animators sounds good . Hey Pauhana, u wanna go play sometime next weekend?? Sorry Loked, ur more than welcome to come play.:beer:

loked
07-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I think I'll fly up from S.Africa :)

Just watch out though, I got a whole lot of AND1 moves and I might end up hooking you up :blush:

Tell Pixar to give me a job so I can come ball regularly :thumbsup:

later
loked

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.