PDA

View Full Version : Mac OSX Mel Problem...

sburgoon
10-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I'm turning to the collective expertise here because I'm stumped, and I don't have a mac to debug this on. I've released a beta of a free rig for maya online, and I've discovered that the scripts (the pose library specifically) do not work on OSX. The error given to the user is too many children for goonPicker. I can confirm this does happen on OSX (a coworker had his powerbook in the office so I quickly tested) but I can't figure out why they heck a script would function differently on the Mac than on Windows. Would any mac-using mel genius mind taking a look and help me figure out where I've gone wrong? You can get the rig and scripts at this url:

http://seanburgoon.com/index.php?s=file_download&id=24

There are windows-centric install instructions, so if you can also tell me the correctly paths to put things in on a mac that would be great so I can add that to the readme (along with appropriate credit/thanks ofcourse). Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. It's really hard to fix something like this without access to the platform it's having a problem on. Thanks!

-Sean Burgoon

volXen
10-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi Sean,
Maya on MacOS X is much more precise concerning window layouts. For example you might have realized that setting the window size doesnīt work properly on Windows ... Maya always uses the size of the window that it had the last time you closed it. The problem is simply that you were using the "setParent.." command too often ... this worked on windows, but it doesnīt on Mac ... and I bet it wouldnīt work on Linux, too.

BMP as the icon format is also a problem on MacOS X and for some reason I couldnīt get it to work on Vista 64 as well. So I converted it to xpm ... works on both platforms :-)

You can get the script in which I commented out the "setParent.."-commands and the xpm
from www.renderwahnsinn.de/goonRig_Update.zip (http://www.renderwahnsinn.de/goonRig_Update.zip) .

MacOS X hides the maya settings in UserFolder/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya .

This script works if you source it, of course you need to apply the same changes to the shelf command as well...

Let me know after you updated your script so I can give it one more try on macOS X to make sure everything works :-)

Thanks for sharing the rig with the community!

Greetings from Germany,
Volker Heisterberg

sburgoon
10-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks, man. This was really helpful. I'll get all that integrated into the next version, the guys trying to use it on the mac will be thrilled. I'll be sure to put a thank you in the readme too :) Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2008, 12:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.