PDA

View Full Version : New Blizzard Starcraft opening cinematic teaser

Syndicate
10-12-2008, 02:41 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41396.html

Congrats to Fausto and his amazing team of artists. This is looking absolutely amazing.

:cool:

CaptCook
10-12-2008, 04:55 AM
Amazing! This is simply amazing. GIVE US MORE BLIZZARD!

ragdoll
10-12-2008, 06:11 AM
i hate scenes that are in the dark...anything that hides detail is a waste imho...tho this clip was nothing short of blizzards cool cut scenes cg-wise, it doesn't seem to stack up with the previous SC clip...maybe if they showed kerrigan in full body...:shrug:i still think they should make a feature film...are you listening? hey! yea i'm talking to you. :D

Hooch
10-12-2008, 06:41 AM
hmmm... I don't know about this one... I was expecting something more... Blizzard!? :hmm:

depleteD
10-12-2008, 07:02 AM
That was amazing

HeavenHen
10-12-2008, 08:40 AM
yea.... about the darkness, about kerrigan... wish everything could be abit more. No doubt it is great but imho not fantastic enough. Maybe everyone have too high expectation of blizzard.. or maybe we had just watched warhammer cine which feels more epic. But well i do kind of agree the darkness and not showing kerrigan in full gives us the mood and makes it more mysterious and more anticipation.

igorfx
10-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Great Work Blizzard

lo
10-12-2008, 09:23 AM
can't say anything bad about this, it's really done perfectly. Nothing wrong with a little darkness :)

3mm
10-12-2008, 09:39 AM
well done cinematic like the rest of their cinematics:)

kmest
10-12-2008, 10:12 AM
wooowwwyahayuuuwwooowww....its great.....loved it and i think not showing them enough,makes it more exiting and more real....cant wait to take my hands on the actual game itself.....

Laa-Yosh
10-12-2008, 10:37 AM
maybe if they showed kerrigan in full body...

They will - this was only the first half of the intro.

Also, there's a recording of another part of the CG presentation from Blizzcon (whish there was more) showing another cinematic - Kerrigan's flashback to the battle in SC1 where she was abandoned to the zerg. It's only an animated storyboard with voice, but it's still pretty cool.
I think it's here:
http://www.starcraft.org/videos.php?bcpid=1847328933&bclid=1847307830&bctid=1849018013

ThomasMahler
10-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Well, that was pretty doggone fantastic!

PavelPetrenko
10-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Yahooo! Amazing work Blizzard, always!

P_T
10-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Why don't they just make a friggin CG film based on Starcraft and get it over with. That's 9.5 million tickets and DVDs sold guarranteed. Don't worry about expanding the team, keep it as it is and release it "when it's done". :D

Anyway, that's pretty cool though the fighting scene looks like it's being filmed by some amateur cameraman with most of the action out of the frame after around 1:35 and the slo-mo catch is cheesy. :shrug:

Syndicate
10-12-2008, 12:37 PM
For those of you wondering why its seems short... its because it is... its only 1min from the 4 min intro that will be in the game.

:)

I think its awesome to see the hydralisks and holy crap some of the camera angles are awesome!

CHRiTTeR
10-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Hmm, while it was looking great and all like all things from blizzard I feel like something was missing... i wasnt pulled into the spectacle as much as with other of their videos.. i think it was the music who let me down a bit on this one...

Aha! But after seeing a 2nd time i realized the audio is recorde live, thats undoubtebly the reason it sounded bit dull. Cant wait for the non-live version including the second half!

Spin99
10-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Wow that was really incredible the revamped Starcraft cinematics and first born battle :)
So let's see the Zul'Naga are here? Was that Kerrigan?
Also want to see the rest of her ;)

Laa-Yosh
10-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Kerrigan with pet (http://galeria.starcraft2.hu/albums/screenshot/blizzcon/normal_Kerriganprerendered.jpg)

Happy now? :)

DDS
10-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Looks good! Can't wait to see the whole thing!! :buttrock:

ThomasMahler
10-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Kerrigan with pet (http://galeria.starcraft2.hu/albums/screenshot/blizzcon/normal_Kerriganprerendered.jpg)

Gee, now I wanna see the rest of her animated!

:D

ragdoll
10-12-2008, 04:23 PM

Also, there's a recording of another part of the CG presentation from Blizzcon (whish there was more) showing another cinematic - Kerrigan's flashback to the battle in SC1 where she was abandoned to the zerg. It's only an animated storyboard with voice, but it's still pretty cool.
I think it's here:
http://www.starcraft.org/videos.php?bcpid=1847328933&bclid=1847307830&bctid=1849018013

hey thanks! behind the scenes is where it's at! :D

Boone
10-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I personally never saw what was so fabulous about the first one. Although I did enjoy playing it I do get a bit worried when crowds start shitting their pants at the mere mention of the game...:surprised

Blizzard's cinematics are always of top standard and this one was bloody good. That Protos warrior looked real. The lighting, shading - or whatever they had done just looked pretty real. As if they had done proper prosthetics and model shots. Of course, the scene drops a tad when he starts his chuck norris antics on the Zerg and Kerrigan looked a bit CGI-Angelina Jolie-esque. But in all its cinematics like these that makes the PC seem cool once again.

As far as I know StarCraft2 might be out in time for Christmas, but I want to know if its going to be playable on a laptop. If so I will definitely be up for it, even though it seems to be the same game with a makeover. But I always thought Kerrigan was a cool villianess so this wont be a hard choice come Christmas time.

It would be cool if Blizzard made enough cash to actually make a CGI movie. They do seem to have a good sense of sci-fi/fantasy movies and WarcraftIII did feel like a game with the coolness of a movie such as Empire Strikes Back, Fire & Ice and LOTR.

Laa-Yosh
10-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Just take a look at the coverage from Blizzcon featuring Starcraft 1 multiplayer matches. The depth of that game is amazing, no two matches are the same, and it's about 10 years old by now. And frankly, it doesn't even look as bad as many other games of such age...

So that's the main reason for excitement, the promise of an even better competitive RTS game. Us wondering about the single player part are actually the minority :)

Marlonnowe
10-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Blizzard does not make movies, cuz that's not what they do. Pure and simple. They make so much revenue on their games and online activities, that for them financially there is absolutely no incentive to produce a movie.

Marlon

CHRiTTeR
10-12-2008, 05:43 PM
but I want to know if its going to be playable on a laptop.

that depends for a big part on what kind of laptop you are talking about off course.

I am wondering the same thing, but i am fairy confident that it will...
Blizzard games always look great without needing the latest hardware or the most powerfull machine out there.

Blizzard does not make movies, cuz that's not what they do. Pure and simple. They make so much revenue on their games and online activities, that for them financially there is absolutely no incentive to produce a movie.

Marlon

Still, they put so much effort and resources on those amazing cinematics.
Also, as someone mentioned earlier, their way of storytelling is verry movie-like
You almost could call their games interactive movies.
And from a business perspective: A good movie would bring even more interest to their games.
I think they would like to make a movie verry much :)
But it not that simple to 'just' make a movie, let allone a full-CG one.

But wasnt there talk about plans for a wow-movie or something?

Spin99
10-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Happy now? :)Thanks it's Kerreeee.
Reminds me of my X btw
Also want to see the rest animated. Blah.

rohand
10-13-2008, 06:00 AM
That was amazing.

Blizzard always manages to make their Cinematics so Movie-like. The sound, the voice over, The voice acting and the camera angles are always top notch. Add to that, that the animation is the best you ever get to see.

I would agree with every one else who says that Blizzard should make a movie now. It's high time they did it. Even a short film , of like 15-20 mins would be a great start. They definitely have the talent and the resources and the money, having produced 3 of the biggest selling games ever , one of which can now officially be called a religion in Korea :) ( or was it singapre, I am not sure.)

But seriously guys make a movie.

On a side note, any Idea what softwares they are using now. I know that they were using 3dsmax for a long time, But they mentioned that they started using renderman now, So does it mean a shift to MAYA. Any info would be great.

with regards
Rohan Dalvi

once again, BLIZZARD ROCKS :)

playmesumch00ns
10-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Maya/PRMan for cinematics now I think. Pretty good stuff. Not life-changing, but very nice indeed.

Pyke
10-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Loved it. Even the cheesy 300 style slow-mo-to-fast-action final blow to the hydralisk. Beautiful animation, and some really nice sound design when the hydra is pinned to the ground and pulling backwards.

I think a live action SC movie would rock. I would love to see the protoss as a DelToro style puppet, augmented with some major CG. For the Zerg...just watch Starship Troopers!

Itsgallus
10-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Whoa , Blizzard Rocks !! Excellent Work
can't wait to see the full game ....

I think it's here:

Thanks for this website man..... i was looking anxious for some updates of Starcraft,( more in-game trailers and behind the scenes material) since the blizzard site and the starcraft site as well, just stopped on videos for a long time.....

and about a Short-film on CGI, this isn't a bad ideia, but actually the problem is with the whole production of a movie. (copyright,director, casting, distribution,etc), it would be better if the blizzard itself take care of the whole thing. the better example of that is the Resident Evil movies, if isn't made by the game productor, it can sound odd and bad for hardcore fans. And of course, the problem of a movie based on a game is the storytelling process, the plot of the movie is to show the parts of the history that explains some parts of the game and vice-versa, if the movie is well-made. But thinking about it, it would be great to see the in-between diablo2 and diablo3 on a CGI short-film.

//cheers

Whitmire
10-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Wow. Brilliant.

kmest
10-13-2008, 08:36 PM

oh yeah..now im exited even more

DuttyFoot
10-14-2008, 02:42 AM
always enjoyed blizzards cinematic trailers. good job :buttrock:

pomru
10-14-2008, 01:22 PM
On a side note, any Idea what softwares they are using now. I know that they were using 3dsmax for a long time, But they mentioned that they started using renderman now, So does it mean a shift to MAYA. Any info would be great.
The Blizzard cinematic team held a panel at the BlizzCon event last weekend in Anaheim, California and discussed their work on the Wrath of the Lich King trailer. For those of us who couldn't attend, there's a report of the panel on the WoWInsider blog. At the panel, ZBrush, Mudbox, Maya, RenderMan, and Nuke were mentioned. Too bad blogger Alex Ziebart couldn't get any pics of the screenshot slides shown at this presentation! For further details, you can read them at http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/10/13/blizzcon-2008-cinematics-panel/

Laa-Yosh
10-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks, I was hoping that someone would at least report something from the panel. Blizzard is still pretty silent about the cinematics stuff, so every bit of info is interesting.

ThomasMahler
10-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah, they talked about slides being shown during the presentation - did any news site actually capture those? I'd love to see em.

Shletten
10-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Wow! Wow! Gosh, I love it! It is magnificient CGI! In my opinion Blizzard is leading in term of cinematic trailers. Unfortunately in the game, it is not all the cutscenes that are going to be like that I think. :(

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2008, 09:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.