PDA

View Full Version : ++3dsMax Bird Wing Rig loop problem

visualasylum
06-09-2003, 12:12 PM
I rigged a bird mesh, with the splineIKsolver, and made 2 sliders to control each of the wings. Then I animated 30 frames(1 cycle) of the wings, then went in trackview, selected OUT OF RANGES, and selected LOOP. The problem is that After the 30 frames, only one wing will animate, the other doesn't move.

I'm banging against the wall here. any help is greatly appreciated.
I must also say, that I have tried with one slider, and didn't work either. What am I missing?

Here's a preview: http://www.visualasylum.net/incoming/bird-rig.jpg

Thanks in advance,

G

StefanA
06-09-2003, 12:27 PM
I don't use max but I did a similar this in XSI a while ago. Since it is a cycle you are doing and don't need individual animation on the wings you can probably do this technuiqe.

What I did was to control the second wing with expressions.

If you name your control objects a1, a2, a3, a4, a5 etc. and then on the other side the second control objects inherit the values but with negitive numbers on in the axis that you want to be mirrored.

(in XSI 'Y' is up, 'Z' is depth))

ex:
a1: X=10, Y=10, Z=10

will become on the other side

b1: X=-10, Y=10, Z=10

In this case the "X" axis is what does the 'spread' of the wings. Y,Z will follow up and depth with the same values.
So in XSI the expression would be on the X-axis with this parameter:

a1.kine.posx = a1.kine.posx * -1

I'm sure you can duplicate this fairly simple in MAX (and this way you only animate one wing).

Works with cycles at least.

best of luck.

.stefan andersson

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.