PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a CG/Gaming LCD monitor?

Agent D
06-09-2003, 10:29 AM
I'm looking to buy a nice (preferably 19" or larger, possibly a widescreen 20"-24") flat panel display, but I need to get some advice first. I have only used CRT monitors up to this point, so my experience is limited.

I have done some research, and it seems most of the larger monitors have a good resolution/color/contrast, so that won't be much of a problem for graphics. However, I am also a gamer (and ocassional DVD-watcher), and I need a monitor that doesn't have any problems with trailing.

Is the response time/refresh rate the only specification that influences effects like trailing at high speeds?

Will two monitors with the same refresh rate be identical in that respect?

Is 25ms acceptable, or should I get a 16ms? (Something harder to find on large monitors)

Basically, if anyone can give me advice on picking one out, or can recommend one based on personal experience, it would be a great help. :cool:

MattClary
06-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Try doing some searches on Google for "LCD + reviews". If you dig around a little, you should be able to find "What to look for" articles. Response time is the key factor. Not sure how 25ms compares to the average for LCDs. You don't neccesarily need the FASTEST, you just want to stay away from the high end of response times.

stephen2002
06-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Anything under 30ms is generally unoticable in the ghosting department. That is about average from what I have seen.

lukx
06-09-2003, 10:48 PM
heard that Neovo has really nice LCD's.

raz-0
06-09-2003, 11:46 PM
part of the problem is that what is "noticable" ghosting to one person doesn't bother another person. You picked a hard one for cut and dry advice.

PlanetMongo
06-10-2003, 12:01 AM
I've heard lots of good things about Dell's 2000FP (and 1900FP) series LCD's, but they're somewhat pricey. You gotta catch the "specials" (see www.bensbargains.net ) and they go from $999 (actually, I think they raised this to 1099 now) to around $600-650 with various discounts/coupons.

dragonz
06-10-2003, 12:53 AM
Dell's Monitors look really nice to me, but they are pricey as well. here is an 18 in one i found that sounds pretty good. I as well, and mot too familiar w/ LCD's and would like to get one one of these days. here is the link Verwsonic 18 in (http://www.pcnation.com/asp/details.asp?affid=303&item=684560)
Does Viewsonic Make good lcd's?

Agent D
06-10-2003, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the responses so far, guys. I still haven't chosen one, but I think I'm at least a little bit closer. I'll probably end up going with a 25ms response time moniter, maybe larger than 19".

One of my problems is that it's hard to find one source which lists most brands/ products, and is also easy to search through based on screen size, etc. :hmm: I'll look into some of your suggestions.

Agent D
06-10-2003, 02:59 AM
Quick update: Anyone have any opinions on Hitachi monitors? This one looks pretty good. (http://www.pcnation.com/asp/details.asp?item=597292)

lukx
06-10-2003, 08:27 AM
one most important thing...make sure there is Fujitsu matrix MVA-Premium. It's the best for cad and 3d graphic. Also don't forget about the biggest defect of LCD's : dead pixels. This is wy I said something about NOevo I've heard that they sell almoust 100% LCD without dead pixels.

LeeTN
06-10-2003, 05:35 PM
If you're willing to spend the money (@$1400 each), the Formac Gallery 2010 Platinum series are great monitors. I have two of them and they are awesome: guaranteed color accuracy, 600:1 contrast, ~25ms response time, Fujitsu MVA matrix, and best of all a two dead pixel policy for three years.

lukx
06-10-2003, 05:59 PM
wow and this was what I was looking for... "two dead pixel policy for three years" awesome!!!

epatnor
06-11-2003, 11:56 PM
I just recently bought a HP L1925 19" LCD monitor. I was totally nervous about two things before i got it:

* Ghosting (the spec said >20ms but I had no experience with LCD monitors)

* Dead/lit pixels.

Also image quality, contrast, color and so on was a concern, especially for CG/video editing work.

But BOY! I'm smiling even now in front of it, got 2 days ago. What a buy! :drool:

I mean - look through all of the above points, and I can tell you that my response to the performance of each point of this screen is that it is absolutely awesome! :thumbsup:

And regarding my biggest concern about pixel fault - not a single faulty pixel on this screen! *phew!*

And really slim edges too... perfect for multimonitoring. And nice looking!

NO I am not a sales rep for HP :), but I just want to recommend this monitor - perfect.

GregHess
06-12-2003, 02:56 AM
I recently sold my viewsonic VG191B and purchased a second 191T Samsung. Newegg has a 8 dead pixel return policy.

There is a single dead sub pixel on the display. Only shows up on a 100% black background. Its a dark red color.

Finding the dead pixel on a 1280x1024 resolution is extremely difficult. These things are more fine then trinitron lines. You really have to look for them. Unless one or two of the dead pixels are dead center in the screen, you'd never notice them.

Most companies will also take returns if its an extremely annoying dead pixel (even if their policy states 8). (Aka white pixel dead center).

I wouldn't worry too much about dead pixels.

3Dfx_Sage
06-12-2003, 03:04 AM
for price / performance I really like Albatron. The problem is they don't even have a 19 inch out yet. Still, they are a steal and look really good. we're talking 360 USD for a 500-600 dollar monitor.

Agent D
06-12-2003, 03:17 AM
I'm starting to lean towards the Samsung 210T.

Does anyone here own/use one? They have a 21.3" display, 1600x1200 max resolution, 500:1 contrast, 25ms response time, picture in picture options, a remote control...

I did read something odd about them in one review though. They were saying that 1600x1200 wasn't a supported resolution in DVI mode, only in Analog, but who knows. :shrug:

lukx
06-12-2003, 05:10 PM
It's hard to belive but on my CRT monitor Smasung 959NF I got one dead pixel... yep it's true.

ages
06-12-2003, 05:21 PM
formac have great lcd's with 2 pixels dead warranty (http://www.formac.com)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.