PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Lara Croft...Updated!

BDismukes
04-28-2002, 02:00 AM
What a difference a few months makes, it was an intresting experience putting this together a while back, a good break from flying logos and unimaginative producers and I learned a lot. I took another look at it and saw ample room for improvement; hair, skin, etc. So here it is again:

http://www.excelsiorstudios.com/Another-Croft.jpg

And another close up:

http://www.excelsiorstudios.com/Croft-Close-Up.jpg

One of these days I'll try something original, but not today.

Sangotten
04-30-2002, 10:55 PM
She freaks me out!!!!:twisted:

...her eyes, her eyes aaahggrr:insane:

ssava
05-03-2002, 02:21 AM
Hi...
I'm new here...so sorry if this sounds ignorant...
Is this all photoshop?
Or is there some 3D elements?
Nice work so far...
Scott

Blackarts
05-03-2002, 04:59 AM
nice painting job, I really like the sternum area and the skin on the face. Those eyes seem extremely intense....like she suddenly remembered she left the stove on or something....yup they bug me. I think her waist\stomach area is looking a little unnatural too...maybe a bit too much hourglass shape going on.

cheers,
-D

merlin9876
05-03-2002, 05:55 AM
wow... :drool: I wish I could draw like that... I'm just past stick figures. I don't know why drawing always scared the hell out of me! :scream:

jmringuet
05-03-2002, 06:10 AM
Is it a painted model ( a poser model)? It looks like a render with repaint over it. It works. Effective.

Pretty nice, although she's maybe a little too buff for Lara Croft :)

henry
05-03-2002, 11:02 AM
even better than lara herself :)

[msf]
05-03-2002, 11:09 AM
wow!

only crits are maybe make the legs a little more womanly, the calves are huge. Like previously stated her waste is a tidbit small.
But incredible peice overall.

luigi
05-03-2002, 03:44 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

great painting

the only think I could say is you make more dept onn the field on the background It will like more a photography.

In potography is imposible to have a person and a background with the same definition.

with background deph the image will have more profundity.

whatever
05-03-2002, 07:52 PM
BIG MELONS
BIGGGGG BIGGGG CASABAS :buttrock:

heh

BDismukes
05-03-2002, 08:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm new to rendering figures and this is my second attempt at this subject, so I still have a lot to learn. I had an idea to try to render the game character with realistic features while still retaining the game character's proportions. Unfortunately, I got consumed with the details of the image and lost sight of that first idea and whether or not it was working all that well. So that's why the calves and boobs are so large while the waist is so small. Next time...

It started in Poser and was finished in Photoshop. all the clothes and hair are painted as are the shadows and highlights. Thank you adjustment layers. It was a very large file, 62 layers and 47 megs. I used to be a photographer and know the depth of field may seem too wide and the background too clear, but I thought of the amount of light in the scene and the combination of a long lens and small aperture wouldn't blur it very much. I should have played with it more though and gone with what looks best.

Basically, this is the most fun I've had with a graphic since I did this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bdismukes/3-D/48-Hour-Frame.jpg

but that's another story.

Thanks again everyone.

BCSimpson
05-03-2002, 09:43 PM
Hope she doesn't fall over forward - she halls a heavy load! I think she needs a big backpack to balance the weight!

ssava
05-03-2002, 10:04 PM
Hope you don't mind...but it was easier to just make a couple of tweaks to show you a couple of things I think some of us were seeing....
1) There's a sharp shadow on her right cheek...I got rid of that so it doesn't look like a bone sticking out
2) I gave her eyes a bit more lashes and more eyelids so she doesn't look so wide-eyed...
3) I just gave her lips a bit more contrast....

Hope you don't mind....
I really like what you did....great job!
Scott
http://www.bluedreamstudios.com/Laranotes.jpg

shaf140
05-04-2002, 06:53 AM
the face sorta looks masculine. sorta looks like a transexual a little. chin could be a lil more curvy

BDismukes
05-15-2002, 03:24 PM
Scott: I like what you've done with the eyes and I promise you I will remember that for the sultry image I'm sure I'll be doing at some point. I was going for a look of anxiety and I thought the wide eyes would work better. As for the shadow on the cheek, it's actually supposed to be a smudge of dirt that she tried to wipe away, I'll try to make it work better on a future image. Thank you and well done.

Shaft140: More curvy chin? From this angle? Please explain.

And in case anyone wants to use this as wallpaper, here is a desktop version for your entertainment.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bdismukes/Lara-Desktop-01.jpg

shaf140
05-15-2002, 05:57 PM
yeah, the chin could be a little more curvy, and something about the eyebrows. too thick and too low maybe? and maybe if you add some more eyelashes into the eyes to make her more feminine. and the hair sorta looks like a fro, so maybe if you thin out the hair a little and not make it so poofy. sorry if i sound so critical.

BDismukes
05-18-2002, 04:20 AM
I'm starting to see what you mean. The chin is a little, uh, bold. This whole thing is a very fine line to walk and I have a lot to learn. But I will persist until every one of you kind folk are absolutely sick of seeing the various iterations of Lara Croft that I'm sure will be coming this way in the future. Heck, I'm working on a revision right now.

Until then, my thanks and gratitude for your feedback.

floatingrunner
05-19-2002, 04:02 AM
....kewl painting....relistic

no offence, kinda look like a guy tho...
maybe it's just me and that rumor that Lara was a he ??!!

Joril
05-19-2002, 12:25 PM
hehe, I've seen this pic before, I can't remember where though.
She looks very caucasian (I hope I spelled it right) while the first Lara had a more exotic look.
Anyway, it looks very good none the less. Looks like she's about to shoot the raptor infront of her :)

ashecorbin
05-23-2002, 07:53 AM
Hey, Brad

I think maybe if you made the jaw less broad it would make her face a little more feminine. It would also lengthen her chin visually, so, it'd be a bit of give and take.

Also - Is she wearing a super-thin girdle or something...?

Anyway, I thought the texture on her left underarm area and collarbone/neck area were top-notch. Were you using a reference? Really good looking detail.

Oh, and I like that you remembered to make her dirty and sweaty... good attention to detail!

cheers

ashecorbin
05-23-2002, 07:55 AM
Oh, and maybe widening her mouth would add a bit of feminism...

the good kind of feminism, that is!

KOryH
05-23-2002, 07:11 PM
I really dig this so far.
maybe play with the BG a little and the lighting. I did a quick paint over to illustrate the point. I also changed the composition a bit.
Keep up the good work!

http://korysdiner.homestead.com/files/FORUM/Lara-Desktop-01kh.jpg

BDismukes
06-04-2002, 06:35 PM
That is amazing KOryH! Coming from the background I did it doesn't occur to me to try something other than photoreal, but now I'm inspired.

And in my own defense, sure the chin is a bit heavy, masculine even, but it's the first time I've tried this (painting a person) and one of the images I referenced was this one by the great Adam Hughes...

http://home.earthlink.net/~bdismukes/AdamHughesLara.jpg

So what does it mean? Well I guess I might be that good one day. Maybe in a fever dream...

Bd.

KOryH
06-04-2002, 07:18 PM
ADAM HUGHES wow now that guy can make a woman look good.
I am glad you found good reference and inspiration!

jeroentje
06-06-2002, 08:12 PM
- Big fat edit -

He Brad,
since you're doing such a great job up here, I've started this new thread: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9948

jeroentje :beer:

Jacko Cohen
06-08-2002, 07:24 PM
that last image reminds me of Yancy Butler - masculine chin and all.

jeroentje
06-08-2002, 08:11 PM
Here's a photograph of Pamela Anderson. Now that is a big chin in this photo. And if she doesn't look feminine, who does? (And don't get me starting on Anna Nicole Smith.)

Why do so many people mind if a girl has a chin? Don't say that you do mind Jacko, put I've read that reply in more threads (including my own, allthough Puddlefish was right in last month's challenge). Take Frank Frazetta 4 instance, he draws big women, and they don't look like men.

jeroentje

btw If someone want to reply it's more the jaw; think Angelina Jolie
(btw2; think Angelina Jolie anyway to make you feel happy ;) )

Joril
06-09-2002, 12:52 PM
That chin doesn't look all that big.
Consider the following image.

jeroentje
06-09-2002, 07:30 PM
LOL
Think she had so much sillicones implanted that they started surching for a way out.

jeroentje
(btw, let's not **** up Brad's thread ;) )

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.