PDA

View Full Version : Creating the VFX Killer App!

chicolima
06-09-2003, 08:52 AM
Hi guys,

What tools should a VFX solution contain in order for it to become the Killer App?

I started this discussion on another thread. But since I think this is an interesting subject I decided to create a New Thread to see what everyone has to say about this.

Here's Billy the Kid's reply with some interesting feedback on the type of tools that a VFX Killer App should have:

Looking forward to hear what everyone has to say on this.....

------------------------------------------
Billy_the_Kid

Hi Chico,

I think that we should separate movie apps of video/broadcast apps. I have no experience with films, i just can talk about broadcast softwares. I believe that the Killer app needs join agility and interactivity. This way:

1. Compositing and editing tools in the same software (as Avid Digital Studio)
2. A way to create our own effects through scripts (as Shake) or even accept a lot of plugins (as After Effects)
3. A good integration with a 3D software (as Combustion and 3DsMAX)
4. Network rendering,
5. Good price.......

Other comments will be great....

carloseduardo
------------------------------
:)

DominikSusmel
06-09-2003, 01:35 PM
- fast rendering
- RAM frame cycling (like IRIDAS)
- open-air broadcast module (like *frost)
- proxy res for work (like AFX and Shake)
- either node or layer based compositing (both would be great)
- network rendering
- superb antialiasing

andre_alder
06-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Hi chicolima,

Amazing thread:thumbsup:

But, what do you want??? A whislist?

1. fast rendering ou network rendering
2. a good UI
3. scripts
4. nodes based compositing
5. Linux

arvid
06-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Dedicated team with a strong financing that really listens to what the users have to say in terms of workflow and UI. (like softimage)

No platform bias what so ever, ie. available on at least Windows, Linux, Mac, Irix.

Compatibility with all sorts of framebuffer cards for proper monitor previewing.

Open to the user who are interested in doing the nitty-gritty stuff, integrated scripting with multiple conventional programming languages as well as a well documented SDK for compiled plugins with some sort of UI/widget creation tool. (like xsi)

Separated layer/composition/container and 100% node-based workflow within the same app, ie one part/module of the app is like AfterFX and lets you do 'editing' and collect clips as you see fit, and in another module that entire compound of clips is treated as a single input-node to continue work on. (sort of like DS)

As far as actual features go.. combine the best of combustion shake df and rayz and you're pretty close to perfection :)

chicolima
06-11-2003, 05:34 AM
Hi andre,

A wish list is exactly what I would like to see here form the many VFX user's in the forum.

The replies you guys have posted are great!

Thanks alot for sending them.

andre_alder
06-12-2003, 02:08 PM
Hi chicolima,

but.....where are the VFX user's ? Where are the movie guys???

I would like to see more replies...........

AD

chicolima
06-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi Andre!

Exactly! Were are these guys?

I was expecting many replies with alot of interesting info.

Hopefuly they are just thinking about they'll be posting soon.

Regards

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.