PDA

View Full Version : Widgets & MELscripting

edwardG
10-08-2008, 10:14 PM
I have a curious question for you MEL experts out there:

Is there a way to disconnect the Rotate X widget (the red circle in the rotate tool) from a specific object and make it affect a different attribute?

More specifically, what I'm trying to do is create a control object for an elbow and have it's rotate X widget control the IK handle's twist attribute instead of rotating the object itself... make sense?

d-brooks
10-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Not in MEL as far as I know.

why don't you create a dummy control object and make a direct connection to the the twist value via the connection editor?

edwardG
10-09-2008, 02:48 PM
I've done that before, but the problem is that I get extra rotation values on the elbow control (what I'm doing is constraining it to the IK elbow with a parentConstraint -skipRotate x, which in theory should work and not give extra rotations but it's not working that way).

I'm trying to create a better elbow setup than the current "no flip" setup or the traditional pole vector setup. Simply put, I want a control that sticks with the elbow and I'll rotate it along X to fix the elbow when the IK handle is positioned. The way that I want to do this is by parent Constraining the Elbow control's group to the elbow joint, then I'll lock every attribute on the elbow control minus rotate X, and I'll use the rotate X widget to twist the elbow.

It's not that I don't know how to setup elbows, I can do several methods. I am just trying to invent a new one. :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2008, 02:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.