PDA

View Full Version : Round objects, Square Holes, Live Surfaces

korthuran
10-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I came across this thread created by Pgland.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=579070

It's a really awesome model and I had a question about a modeling technique he used. I sent a pm with my question but because he might have better things to do than answer questions from random people and the fact that this might be a useful technique for others I ask the question here.

At this post

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4886989&postcount=7

he discusses using nurbs and live surfaces to create a poly object that is spherical and has square holes. He also says it smooths perfectly.

I've tried to replicate this process and I can get to the point of converting the original sphere into polys cleanly. Where I'm losing it at is somewhere between making a poly version with the original nurbs version and then making it a live surface and snapping the lines to the surface to create the vents. I've tried searching and using the maya help reference but there doesn't seem to be a lot of good information on using live surfaces. At least nothing along the lines of this anyway. Anyway I'm hoping that somebody out there understands the make live tool better than I do and can help me figure out the last piece or two of the puzzle. It seems to be a really great technique that I and others I'm sure could make a lot of use out of. I know of other ways to achieve the result but none seem quite so precise or effecient as this one. Any help is much appreciated.

burtward
10-12-2008, 11:34 AM
seem to be stuck at the same point - can somebody please explain this technique in more detail? (there are a lot of different ways to convert NURBS to Poly for example....)
thanks

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2008, 11:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.