PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Simulations getting a boost.

Ohmanoggin
10-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Hmm...Looks like fluids are getting a boost. This along with ICE and CAT sure make for some interesting stuff in the future.

Softimage Enters Strategic Development Relationship with Exocortex Technologies:
http://www.softimage.com/press/releases/2008/081007_exocortex.aspx

Ohmanoggin

maantas
10-08-2008, 11:38 PM
interesting.... still no comments????
i thought this should be enthusiastically accepted by xsi users, or?
everyone has a license of real flow, so no one cares ????
:)))
i was just wandering about this move from xsi.
i mean we have realflow, which is kind of a king of a hill so to say,
so what do you think xsi plans to do differently?
more control for user sns we have ice?? i have no idea...
any thoughts?
or its enough o have something like realflow inside xsi? so user in not forced to buy extra software..

ThE_JacO
10-08-2008, 11:55 PM
It's something that's been on the grapevine for a while now, and it was already (behind closed doors) hinted about at siggraph, they simply didn't have the nodes ready to demo them.

It's got little to do with realflow, as they are different approaches, but the most exciting thing afaic is that it should be provided as ice nodes, which potentially means being able to provide fluid solving for a number of things, potentially strands and meshes as well.

The solution itself is very well tested and solid, it's been used in frantic for a while and it's been put through some tough productions.

Good times ahead.

JDex
10-09-2008, 02:58 AM
Nice. I didn't realize it was so far along. I can't wait to see what nodes come out.

mocaw
10-09-2008, 05:29 AM
Very impressive- and a much needed/wanted step ahead. Probably one of the most asked for features from those that have migrated from Maya.

Glad to see softimage continuing to think beyond their current needs and seek long term solutions from proven partners. Just another reason to be a happy XSI user!

ubermensch76
10-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Hmm...Looks like fluids are getting a boost. This along with ICE and CAT sure make for some interesting stuff in the future.

Ohmanoggin

Whats up with CAT ?

Ohmanoggin
10-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Q: Whats up with CAT ?

I wasn't really hinting at anything. However, common sense would indicate that Softimage didn't buy CAT so they could become yet another vendor for 3D Studio. They may continue to sell CAT in that market, but obviously they wanted CAT developers and technology for something else.

Ohmanoggin

ThE_JacO
10-10-2008, 01:30 AM
CAT's developer, Phil Taylor, is the person responsible for the near totality of the compounds you use in ICE, some of the uber-cool rigging demos, and I'd be ready to bet money also contributing to the design of the next iteration of ICE utilities (official support of kinematics/group/branch) and translating it into supporting a new way of rigging when those will go live.

I don't know if there are any plans for CAT, but after having seen what Phil contributed to XSI and Softimage in general the way Softimage decided to employ him, I couldn't agree more with their move if I tried, and I hope they will keep not caring about CAT as a boxed port, but rather continue on the path they are beating now and employing Phil to contribute to XSI the way he's done insofar.

liltbrockie
10-10-2008, 09:09 AM
This is excellent and exciting news i am glad!

All thats left now is the simple "90 degree fillet without distorting the geometry" command and we have ourselves an all singing all dancing 3d appliacationi!

bhouston
10-17-2008, 06:50 PM

Softimage Enters Strategic Development Relationship with Exocortex Technologies:
http://www.softimage.com/press/releases/2008/081007_exocortex.aspx

Ohmanoggin

Hi all,

Just joined CG Society to say hi. We're hard at work on creating new fluid simulation capabilities within Softimage, although understandably, we can't release new specifics details nor timelines -- you'll have to get that information from Softimage's official channels. That said, I can assure you that our team is reading this forum and will work to incorporate your feedback, requirements and desires into the software were possible.

Take care,
Ben Houston
Phone: 613.762.4113
Exocortex Technologies, Inc.
http://www.exocortex.com

ubermensch76
10-18-2008, 06:20 PM
bhouston , thats great to hear and welcome to the XSI section on CGTALK.

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2008, 06:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.