PDA

View Full Version : Problem with exporting weightmaps (lightwave to motionbuilder)

milqman
06-08-2003, 07:59 PM
It seems kind of that Lightwave or MotionBuilder isn't exporting / importing (respectively) my weight maps correctly.

The TV frame needs to be completely stuff but when i start messing with the IK, the TV deforms! How might I fix this?

http://milkman.Christianmp3.org/rig.zip

milqman
06-08-2003, 09:15 PM
see, I have a few bones inside his tv frame. Off the top of my head, I have "Hips" which is connected to the leg parent bones, then above that I have "Spine", then "Spine1", and "Head"

Now I don't relaly need spine, spine1, or head, but Kaydara requires them (well, at least spine and head. )

However, it seems that Spine, Spine1, and Head are affecting the mesh when I don't want them to have any effect at all.

And thus is my problem.

milqman
06-09-2003, 03:55 AM
sure wish this board had more people.

:hmm:

*sees 3dDave on the forum, hopes he checks this thread*

Cman
06-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Uhm, I'm only starting to use MB like you...but are you sure the weights are done correctly - set to the one bone you don't use to deform, like the hip or something?

3DDave
06-09-2003, 04:49 AM
You have to assign the weightmaps to the respective bones. If you name the weight map the same as the bone, Layout will automatically assign the map.

Here's your skeleton back with some tweaks to make it characterize. It's nice to see how flexible motion builder can be as long as you have the basic skeleton. Assign your weight maps and your ready to go.

milqman
06-09-2003, 05:05 AM
the weightmaps HAVE been assigned though! Lightwave doesn't show them until you refresh the weightmap menu.

3dDave, I already got it to characterize, its just this darn weightmap problem.

3DDave
06-09-2003, 07:25 AM
Every bone must have a weightmap assigned to it, some of yours do not.

milqman
06-09-2003, 02:58 PM
oh. well, since I don't want some of my bones to affect anything, could i assign them to a weightmap that contains no value (vertices, weight, etc. just a blank weightmap) ?

Crumply
06-09-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by milqman
oh. well, since I don't want some of my bones to affect anything, could i assign them to a weightmap that contains no value (vertices, weight, etc. just a blank weightmap) ?

I think you might need a single weightmap, set to 100%, with all the currently unmapped bones assigned to this new map.

A map with no values (all 0%) will just go away once you load the object back into Modeler or Layout, so that won't work. I think making them 100% makes sense.

3DDave
06-09-2003, 04:03 PM
The bones that are names as "Roll" bones should have the same map as the parent bone. If you want to control the effect of the Roll bones you can in the bones properties panel.

Also you can have a map set to 0%. Also you can set the falloff to a higher invers value to reduce the effect each bone has on each other.

Crumply
06-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by 3DDave
Also you can have a map set to 0%.

Maybe I'm thinking of empty Morph Vmaps. Doh!

milqman
06-09-2003, 06:03 PM
So in order to have the Head, Spine1, and Spine bones to have absolutely no effect on the geometry, i should assign them a weightmap containing no value?

3DDave
06-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by milqman
So in order to have the Head, Spine1, and Spine bones to have absolutely no effect on the geometry, i should assign them a weightmap containing no value?

Yes, and set the bone properties to Weight Map Only.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.