PDA

View Full Version : Silly Fight WIP

KyleHarrison
10-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Alright here goes,

this is "Silly Fight", my first foray into 3D Animation with Maya outside of simple simulations and particle effects.
This is first pass, nothings been refined yet, and the last scene here is obviously unfinished.

http://www.vimeo.com/1893614

i really wanted to finish that last scene there but it just didn't end up happening :(
(ps. the dude at the end is supposed to hit the ground with a somersault, instead he floats like a fish for now haha)

ErikSvensson
10-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Hey man.

A few comments here. You say in the vimeo info "
Again, nothings planned here, this is all straight ahead animation, Improv if you will." and it kind of shows, cause I dont get whats happening in the scene right now.

I begun to watch some Keith Lango VTS courses and I really do recommend it, he is very talented and he explains that you must plan your scene before you go on doing it. That's something I manage to do a lot myself too, just do something and it ends up like "ok, I dont get it, whats suppose to happen in the scene?". I do recommend that you decide what's suppose to happen, how and why, then make it again, lack of planning usually shows off and the audience won't get what's happening on the stage nor what the actors think/want to tell us unless you made it with a purpose and an character objective.

Cheers!
Erik

KyleHarrison
10-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Hey Erik,

completely valid statement and i actually know what your talking about. Usually i do plan my scenes, setup video footage, reference materials, etc.
Though despite what i made it sounds like, this isn't meant for anything serious, just had an itch. I guess what im looking for my posting it up is ways to improve the motions that currently exist, or suggestions to make them better.

sorry it doesn't make much sense, i didn't get everything i wanted to in there which would have at least helped put the pieces together

Also, ill definitely check out those courses, thanks!

ErikSvensson
10-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Hey again.

Sorry I was a bit harsh before but I hope it made sence. :) It's great that you plan your scenes most of the time because if you do, it will most likely make sence to the viewer as well (as long as the characters seem to think before they do something, that is.)

Regarding the animation itself, the biggest issue I can see is in the end, where the camera is so close to the actors and they don't differ in colors or anything, which makes it hard to see whats going on. Also, the first guy when he bow, it seems like he would tip over due to some "over weight", I would put the hips back a bit (actually, search up some martial arts on youtube, you'll find loads that will help out for this specific scene.)

Keep practising the animation, plan your shots and of course have fun while doing it and it'll turn out great!

Cheers!
Erik

KyleHarrison
10-06-2008, 09:04 PM
*slams head into desk repeatedly*
wow... i wont lie, i didn't actually think about the confusion having both characters exactly the same would cause, being the person behind the controls, you just know. Ill make it a point that when i next touch this im changing at the very lest the shader of one of them.

i cant believe i neglected that...

Also, as for the tipping over, your absolutely right, that adjustment is now in my next Todo list, as thats a bigger fix than a simple tweak for a second pass :)

Thanks for the tips again Erik!

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2008, 09:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.