PDA

View Full Version : Cinematic Game Icons - Character / Environment - Speaky

Speaky
06-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Hello folks,

This will be my first entry into such a challenge. I've been inspired to dig out my Wacom and give it a go.

I'm currently imagining a crashed spacecraft and a lone survivor who has managed to crawl to their freedom, and is gathering his energy to move on. Maybe he's an escaped convict? Maybe he's on an important mission? Maybe I should plan the story first?

Whatever, I like to get stuck in and develop the pic as it goes. I'll post some WIP shots as I go, and come up with a nice cheesy storyline as it emerges.

Bye

Speaky
06-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Ok, just blocking the main elements in layers

Speaky
06-08-2003, 02:30 PM
I've added a gradient backdrop, which will form the basis for the sky. Also, something has just exploded on the ship, which I've placed behind a bit of damage for contrast.

Speaky
06-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Okay, blocking in some shading very roughly... I always work extremely roughly at first so that it's easy to guage the composition of the piece.

Speaky
06-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Ok, am adding more depth to the shading, trying to picture where the explosion will be be reflected off of the wreckage etc. Look closely, and you'll see I've started to define the character's features with a very subtle colour which might be coming from behind and to the left of the POV ... a moon of some sort I would imagine, since the sun is setting off to the left somewhere.

Speaky
06-08-2003, 04:27 PM
I've defined the explosion and the already billowing smoke a bit better, and started to put a bit more detail onto the spacecraft wreckage. It does look like a space blob at the moment, but it'll become clearer as I work on it. I've added some manacles to the character, which will have little lights and readouts on them eventually. He also has eyepieces which will glow and illuminate his features a bit. Must resist doing too much detail too early, though.

Maybe these implants serve to handicap him, if he's a dangerous criminal. Hmmmmm.

Gamoron
06-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Lotta progress pics. Good job. Coming along nicely. Looking forward to the detail work.

Speaky
06-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Here I am trying to resolve the crashed spaceship a bit better, with a mangled wing strut type thing going on. Added stronger highlights onto the figure, and just couldn't resist giving him some tacky green glowing eyepieces.

Oh, and the ground. Looks a little like a sea of mud when I want it to look like a dry, barren rocky soil. Must rework.

Speaky
06-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Hey Gamoron,

:bounce: Thanks for that!

schmu_20mol
06-08-2003, 06:44 PM
this one's coming along nicely ....keep it up :thumbsup:

Spookadilly
06-09-2003, 05:34 AM
You have an interesting coloring method:wip: It's coming along nicely...though I think you should really try to push the depth between the figure and the vehicle a lot more. You were probably going to anyways,though:D:arteest:

Speaky
06-09-2003, 11:31 AM
I've changed the ground, looks a lot less like thick wet mud. The sky I'm still experimenting with and will probably change again.

Spookadilly : thanks for posting! I've added a low opacity flat colour layer in between the figure and the spaceship to simulate a tiny bit of atmospheric haze. My 'interesting colouring method' comes from a lack of patience ... it sometimes works, it sometimes lets me down....

Schmu_20mol : Danke viel mal! Thanks for the supportive comments.

Speaky
06-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Well, it's getting redder by the minute. I've decided to make a move to brighten the scene a little, so that the character is lit on one side, which brings out his features better. I'm probably going to have to rework his shadow a bit later.

The whole left hand side looks like it needs something to balance the picture. I'm thinking maybe a big classic SF planet maybe, and a few rocks too...

art7sayan
06-09-2003, 05:01 PM
Cool progress!

I agree with you,mybe that's too red now...what about a colder light (blue or violet or another one...) comin' from the left of the pic'...it could be interestin' to make a contrast between the planet and the crash. Just my lil' suggestion :rolleyes:

keep it goin'!

Gamoron
06-09-2003, 06:22 PM
I hate when the server is to busy and the reply gets lost!:annoyed: Anyways. It is a little red, but it doesn't hurt it. Maybe more green in the shadows? And as for balance, maybe you could widen the image out or crop it up?

:beer:

edit: looking again looks like there is plenty of green in there so you can scratch my first suggestion. :D

Speaky
06-10-2003, 12:48 PM
I've tried to reduce the redness a bit here. I wanted to increase the perceived distance from the character and the wreck, and have put a rocky ledge under the character to give the impression that he's climbing away from the ship.

I'm trying to balance out the pic at the moment, so I have the outcrop of rock to the lower left, and the hazy planet hanging in the sky upper left.

art7sayan : I tried a few colder light effects, but opted for a slight hue adjustment and some lower saturation in the planet surface. I will probably revise this towards the end in the final composition stage, though. Thanks for the ideas!

Gamoron : I've kind of settled on a 'widescreen' view to respond to the cinematic aspect of the competition. I may have to expand the image off to the right slightly I agree. I'm still not there on the balance, though I feel it's better now. I often forget to use complementary colours in the shadows ... good advice.

Speaky
06-10-2003, 06:22 PM
I wasn't too happy with the wreckage, I felt that it needed something more to define it as a spaceship. I added a wing structure which works nicely against the explosion, and some kind of smaller fin too. I want the ship to look as if it had ploughed into the earth - a controlled yet terminal landing.

I've added some dusty haze in between the foreground elements and those in middle distance. I figured that the spacecraft would have kicked up a lot of the powdery topsoil which is slowly drifting down again. It helps to add distance in the picture.

The distant planet - had to dim it down a bit because it was too bright and a bit tacky. I couldn't find the tackiness slider in Photoshop anywhere.

Gamoron
06-11-2003, 05:29 AM
Man I'm loving this. Reminds me a lot of classic Sci-Fi. Do you ever quit? Or atleast break?:beer:

Rey
06-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Wow this is looking good:beer:
I love the updates of the progress as you work.

Speaky
06-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Hello people,

Well, this update represents the greatest amount of work, and the least perceptible change from the last post. Basically, a lot of fine detail work .... defining the landscape and moon, working on the character etc. I'm going to post a higher res version on the cgchallenge site, because this sub 20k pic is down to a quality 25 jpeg so a lot is getting lost.

I decided to take art7sayan's advice (thanks!) and go for a cooler colour in the sky area ... I think it sets off the explosion nicely.

Gamoron : Glad you like it. I've always been a huge fan of classic SF artists like Syd Mead, Chris Foss, Jim Burns, Frazetta, Simon Bisley (not really classic era). Their influences are everywhere. Yeah, I do take a break sometimes. I'm a struggling freelance graphic designer, so it means I have no money and a lot of time on my hands. Lucky for me I've got a very supportive girlfriend, Debbie, who sees value in what I do. Just very little financial value yet!

Rey : Thanks for that ... I thought I might be overdoing the updates, but I work quick, and it was changing quick! I always learn when someone does a good WIP sequence, so I thought I'd lay bare my process.

Speaky
06-22-2003, 12:24 PM
This is probably my final pictorial update as I'll be away from my PC for 3 weeks as of tomorrow evening.... coming back a few days after the cgchallenge deadline :sad:

But hey! I've enjoyed watching all the entries develop, and I'll be checking regularly while I'm away, and will also post a storyline and setting for my entry too.

This update : redid the explosion, much happier with it now. More detail on the smoke cloud, spaceship, ground, man.... worked on just about everything really. I'd really want to push the detail even more, but there we go.

Thanks everyone who has replied, and good luck to everyone!

:bounce:

Speaky
06-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Just wondering why the attached pics in my thread aren't displaying? Did I bust some kind of attachment limit or something? :surprised

Hellwolve
06-22-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Speaky
Just wondering why the attached pics in my thread aren't displaying? Did I bust some kind of attachment limit or something? :surprised

No, you didn't. Aperently, the moderators/administrators/the guys that run the site changed the settings. From what I heard if it, they did this to decrease bandwith usage.

Speaky
07-12-2003, 11:45 PM
Hello all,

Wow there are a lot of great entries now. I've been checking in now and then while I've been away, and I like what I see!

There's one thing missing from my entry - a story / explanation behind the picture, so here goes....

Game type : Shooter / platformer / puzzler

Perspective : First person

The character is called 'Rone' and is a mysterious political prisoner in the faction led war which has been raging in another solar system since the year 2103. Rone is a genetically enhanced human being with cybernetic implants, and has been drugged and interrogated so much that his memory is falling apart.

The device on his left wrist is a diagnostic biosensor device which looks after Rone's health and gives access to a range of temporary drug enhancements like stamina, jumping ability etc.

The device on his right wrist is a programmable multifunction communications device which taps into any available networks, radio links, computers or machinery.

Rone's eyepieces give him extended optical abilities like nightvision, infrared, digital overlays and so forth.

The Game

It seems that Rone is the lone survivor of the crash which frees him on the outpost planet of Banot III, but the exact details are deliberately hazy. As the game progresses, it becomes clear that Rone is being deliberately tracked and hindered by someone with similar capabilities, which seems odd if the crash was an accident.

The player must guide Rone through various perils and planetary dangers to the sole spaceport which he homes in on using his comms implant, and from there on to further adventure and intrigue. Finally, he manages to piece together enough information and his true purpose and history are revealed before the final reckoning.

Ok folks that's all, good luck!

Jesse

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.