PDA

View Full Version : Eyeballs for Manga Character (huge eyes) - impractical, need advice

JaredTaylor
10-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi!

I'm making a manga style type of character and have run into a problem I knew I'd have to face since the moment the thought entered my head.

The entire soul of this character, it's personality, emotion, EVERYTHING comes from the eyes which is obvious because they are huge and pretty much the only real feature on her face, it is extremely important that I get this right:

http://i33.tinypic.com/2j5lylf.jpg

:arteest: Massive eyeballs won't work, they'll stick out the side of the head and what not.

Note: The head shape isn't finished yet, I know it has problems :argh:

Baothebuff
10-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Can you show what the eyes look like in the head? There might be a way around this.

JaredTaylor
10-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Yes, I'm sure you will understand I can't model around the eye, it's not a realistic character and it's eyes are in the required shape.

Would it be necessary to change the shape of the eyeball itself?

http://i38.tinypic.com/35ib1gh.jpg

Thank you :applause:

franknfurter
10-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Don't use a sphere. Grab the circumference of the eye socket, extrude the edges inwards repeatedly until you have a few caps. Then, after collapsing the innermost circle into one vertice, use soft selection to pull the one vertice and it's surrouding vertices outwards to give it a convex shape, i.e. like an eye. Or you could just model a plane into an eye, if that works better for you. No manga character could conceivably have a round eyeball. That's why they're usually 2D.

JaredTaylor
10-05-2008, 10:44 PM
hey, thanks frank, you're absolutely right but an idea that was suggested to me:

make a massive sphere that actually fits the eye, then cut off the edges (essentially achieving what you just said to do), which sits in place forming the eye white, then make a proper eyeball (pupil, iris, cornea, eye white) but make the eye white 100% transparent so it's invisible and have the pupil/cornea/iris overlap the sphere we cut up, that way the pupil will still move while not having an eyeball cutting through the mesh.

Sound good? :arteest:

secondarymartin
10-07-2008, 08:26 AM
here`s a method that will allow you to still use spheres:

create the sphere for your eye
create an FFD (box) space warp (space warps -> geometric/deformers)
use "bind to space warp" to link your sphere to the ffd, then use the lattice points in teh FFD modifier stack to reshape the eye to fit the socket. (parent the space warp to your head bone when rigging)

the handy thing is that you can now rotate the eyes and they`ll rotate as a sphere would do. the awkward thing is that because you`re stretching gemetry, you may have to "massage" your textures a bit so the eye details are stretched.

good luck!

ansemsnobody
10-08-2008, 03:37 AM
Why not pull the corner of the eye back ? (along z.)

it will still have the same shape from the front, but should go around the sphere...

JaredTaylor
10-08-2008, 03:59 AM
hey, thanks for all the good advice, turns out it was as simple as making a 6x6x6 lattice and dragging the side of the eye back into the head, the eye doesn't need to rotate far enough for it to ever be noticeable.

http://i34.tinypic.com/vqk2th.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
10-08-2008, 03:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.