PDA

View Full Version : My First Painting

erwin1978
10-05-2008, 04:02 AM
http://members.cox.net/cb_gem/ebay/evga.jpg

This is my very first experience in doing a serious full digital painting. I used a Wacom Bamboo. It's great. I truly surprised myself that I did something decent painting for 10 hours straight considering I've no experience in painting. What do you think I could work on?

CybrGfx
10-05-2008, 04:52 AM
For your first concentrated effort at a full digital painting, this is good!

You are the first person I've met with a Bamboo (I have an Intuos and an Intuos 2). Do you find the Bamboo to be responsive enough for you? Any problems or irritations when you use it?

The results you've posted here are quite nice.
You need to work on your anatomy (who doesn't?) and your perspective foreshortening, but this is a more than adequate result for your first piece.

Good job!
~C

erwin1978
10-05-2008, 05:55 AM
I like the bamboo, especially the eraser on the pen which my previous tablet(Calcomp Creation Station) didn't have. I also like the round touchpad which acts as a zoom in/out. Having not tried out tablets capable of pressure higher than 512 levels I can say I'm satisfied with the bamboo. I pretty much get the same results from my old tablet. However, the Bamboo lacks the pen tilt detection that my old tablet had. Not a big deal. I believe airbrushes are the only brushes that take the pen tilt into consideration.

As my painting clearly shows brush strokes are readily evident. How do other painters make their painting so smooth?

CybrGfx
10-05-2008, 06:17 AM
There are a few different ways you can do it.

1. You can use the smudge tool, with the spacing box unchecked
2. You can use the lasso tool to select the area you want to smooth, and then go to Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur, and blur to taste. Then deselect. Once you have your blur level set, you can then make another selection, and hit Ctrl+F to apply the blur filter at the same settings.
3. This gives you a smoother texture: Use a "speckled" brush, at a reduced opacity (between 40 - 60% opacity), and lay down strokes of color. This allows you to also add in other tones to your skin, or fabric (depending on the color, you may want to reduce the opacity to as low as 5-8%)

Make a duplicate of your image for each of these, and experiment to see what works best for your needs.

~C

RicoD
10-05-2008, 09:06 AM
I like the dynamic feel to this piece!

Did you perhaps use a small image for that box in the middle and upscaled it? The edges of the beveled round shape in the middle (the cut out portions) look rather jaggy when compared to the rest of your painting. Right now it's distracting, so be sure to fully paint over it. When using photo's or 3D renders you should always integrate them as much as possible.

I hope you can find references to study, but I think it'll be quite a challenge with an extreme pose like this. But you could find different ones for specific areas.

Keep it up! The road is long and hard, but there's definitely something there!

erwin1978
10-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Yah I scaled the box up. It does look 3D rather than painted.

How long do you find the Nibs for your pen last? I wish my Bamboo came with extras. Wacom sells a pack of 5 for $5. That's expensive. I wonder whether the white one lasts longer than the black.

RicoD
10-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I guess it depends on how much and how hard you press. But never let money be the reason why you won't do hard presses! We're artists! We're supposed to be starving! ;)

erwin1978
10-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Does the tablet surface also wear out eventually?

CybrGfx
10-05-2008, 10:56 PM
It depends on how hard you abuse your tablet.

People don't realize that you are not given 512, or 1024 levels of SENSITIVITY, just so you can gouge out the plastic overlay pressing so damn hard...

It's called SENSITIVITY for a good reason...
Did you know that with most wacoms, you do not even need to touch the stylus to the tablet AT ALL? You can, with most models, hold your stylus up to 1/2" ABOVE the tablet, and STILL draw...

So NO. Do NOT press into your tablet. You merely wear out your stylus as well as your overlay that much faster...Same with the "crutch" advice of drawing on a piece of paper, to give you that "realistic" drawing feel. HOGWASH!

PRACTICE and LEARN to "glide" your stylus across the tablet. I ALWAYS tap the Pressure setting buttons in the upper RH corner (a Bamboo may not offer them) for the LIGHTEST pressure needed, to fully utilize ALL 1024 levels of SENSITIVITY.

This means that if I press JUST SLIGHTLY harder, I get a darker, thicker, stroke.

It is just that sensitivity that is part of the reason a WACOM costs so much more than the competitors, and is the tablet of choice among professionals. Part of your technical skill as an artist is learning to have a delicate touch, and not grind your stylus into the overlay...

The nibs DO wear down, and DO wear out the overlay. ANYTHING will wear down if you rub it enough...think rock that shows depressions where people have rubbed it for many years...

You should wipe off your tablet once in awhile, and even break down and wipe it with water (drying it with a soft cloth), to wash off dust and oils, occasionally.

~C

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2008, 10:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.