PDA

View Full Version : Cinematic Game Icon: Character: SEL

SEL
06-08-2003, 11:16 AM
Hey all!

Could'nt resist entering this time around. Im strictly to art this time since I got a new wacom tablet! :thumbsup: . Im currently working on my 2d portfolio and this category fits with what I like to draw, so might as well kill 2 birds with one stone! Lets have some fun!

Theme:

My game is going to be called "the Devels CRY", the characters im going to portray in the scene is the main character sphynx, and one of the devils soldiers. Going to try to depict a choice, whether to run, or turn around and fight. The game if ever created would be like the movie running man, except for the fact that with all the running comes fighting and vengence to restore order. Would be lovelly to see a game like this created with the Unreal engine!

Objective:
Im hoping the final outcome will be a fully colored comicbook type cover page related to online gaming! :)

SEL

http://www.selart.com/other/gameface2.jpg
http://www.selart.com/other/gameface1.jpg

This is a early mornings worth of work. Couldnt sleep! I think im turning into an insomniac and have no clue how to change it! GASP!!:shrug:

mtmckinley
06-08-2003, 11:40 AM
wow! very cool!

Virtuoso
06-08-2003, 01:17 PM
First of all.............:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: .......On the past challenge......CONGRATS............

Wonderful start on this one too.......:thumbsup:

Yes you got to love those Wacom's,you will have lots of fun now. 2 Birds with one stone is my theory too,when you can do it.

Nice to see you in Sel...........:beer:

Rey
06-08-2003, 05:16 PM
WOW. This is going to be an amazing picture.
One question.
Do you use reference photos for the figure or do you draw from scratch?

Cant wait to see the next update:airguitar

SEL
06-08-2003, 05:29 PM
mtmckinley - tnx! glad you like...

Virtuoso - :), always a pleasure! The wacom is coming out of the box once I finish the pencil sketch! Big thanks for your support! As I said before, always a plus having a virtuoso on the boards!
:beer:

Rey - Hey there Rey, Most of the time Ill draw with just a pencil and my sketchbook on hand and use my imagination. But if its something that is a paid job or something I want to really look correct, Ill use tons of different references to make sure the form of the body or scene fits. I think what normally takes me the longest is finding a great pose. I sometimes spend a whole day sketching until I find a pose and angle I like. Then go directly to the face. I hope I answered your question.
:thumbsup:

Alright all! Plan on me finishing the pencil sketch either tonight or tomarrow as im busy this month. The Coloring though since it will be my first time using a wacom will most likely take me the rest of the challenge, who knows, maybe sooner. Look for an update by tonight

SEL

Gamoron
06-08-2003, 06:17 PM
Nice Start SEL. Great Rendering! Looking forward to the final coloured piece.

sad
06-08-2003, 07:40 PM
sexy and nasty!

Spookadilly
06-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Another great concept from you:thumbsup: I especially like the details you've got going on in the hand. No crits for now...just anxious to see how it will develop.

cleptocat
06-09-2003, 05:48 AM
very nice...right knee cap(her left) is a bit odd. Overall Id say that youve got something really special going on. Sweet!

SEL
06-09-2003, 08:45 AM
Thanks guys for the C & C! :beer: :buttrock: :eek: :thumbsup: :wavey:

Heres the update I promised. Im working on the environment now and hopefully will have that done ASAP.

SEL

http://www.selart.com/other/gameface4.jpg

Gamoron
06-10-2003, 05:00 AM
Insane detailing SEL! Your pencilling skills are fantastic man. I think you'd be best to put this in the Half Life 2 Engine. Whatever they are using.

Virtuoso
06-10-2003, 10:59 PM
Very sleek,smooth,stylish..............What more can be said...............Well give us more you stylish artist you.:thumbsup: :beer:

digital_rhino
06-11-2003, 02:06 AM
Beautiful SEL!:bounce:

Only thing looks funny to me is her neck...seems a little long.

But all in all....it's great!:thumbsup:

SEL
06-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Gamoron- hey thanks man! Never leave home without em! Pencils that is :rolleyes: , im still waiting to see your next big update..

Virtuoso- :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nuff Said!

digital_rhino- thanks, I see what your saying about the neck, but its always been my style to elongate, or exagerate form :shrug: , if I was going for future realistic though I would see that crit very valuable and follow form precise. Tnx for the C & C none the less, theres always room for improvement! :thumbsup:

Alright all, I finished the final pencils and hopefully will get to coloring it within the week... Finals will be taking most my time, so we'll see...

SEL

http://www.selart.com/other/finished_sphynx.jpg

Gamoron
06-11-2003, 11:15 PM
I'm in love.....

digital_rhino
06-12-2003, 01:03 AM
Well SEL..if thats what your going for, then you nailed it. Its beautiful man!:buttrock:

SEL
06-14-2003, 01:05 AM
Hey thanks guys!

Means a lot, sniff* :) :beer: , alright now with the problem im having. I just opened up my Wacom Intuos 2 , 9X12 inch tablet. It had that glow to it when I took it out of the box for the first time. Thus I then spent the next 4 hours doing those damn tutorials on how to use it and how to setup everything in the control panel, then started to use it in photoshop. Well, im basically stumped and I know someone in this art challenge has to have an answer to my question. When I sketch, I will aplly the same pressure, and then as im drawing one of the lines then goes really dark, and when I sketch I sketch light. HRMMMMM.....:shrug: . So then I draw even lighter the next time hoping to not get that 100% pressure, and then everything is cool, and then BAMB!! it does it again, its damn frustrating. Its like drawing with a number 2 pencil and then all of a sudden BAMB!! the next line is as dark as a ball point pen. Its really starting to annoy me, I thought it may be the tilt, so I tried a zillion different settings, then messed with the tip pressure , soft then all the way hard, and basically found my only solution was to have my other hand handy on the undo button when the dark lines appear. I mean SHI!@$T, I spend almost $400 dollars on a tablet, and im having to undo every 4 seconds and then make another line. I mean a tablet is suppose to be presure sensative and im suppose to get those dark lines when I press really hard. If anyone has any suggestions, or the correct settings, etc. to place, It would mean a lot for I really dont think im ready to throw my new tablet off my balcony! :buttrock: . Ill wait for some suggestions..

SEL

pencil-head
06-14-2003, 01:30 AM
yeah the same thing hapened to me when i recently got the intuos 2 6x8. it seemed to be a RAM problem but it fixed itself when i got the update patch from there website.

BTW your drawings looking awesome:buttrock:

Konic
06-14-2003, 04:59 AM
Really great work,love them,keep going with it,more,and more.:thumbsup:

Gamoron
06-14-2003, 06:10 AM
hmmmm.... To date I have never had any problems with my Wacom or the one at work (which is like yours). I assume that you have the settings set for Photoshop. Maybe you have a jitter set in the flow, cranking it up by accident. I'd check your brush settings in Photoshop. If that doesn't solve it, I'd get the most recent patch. There shouldn't be any problems. At the very least I'd reinstall the drivers, and I wouldn't use any drivers that XP might be using (if you're using that OS.) Sorry man I don't really know what to suggest.

Virtuoso
06-17-2003, 09:13 AM
:drumrock: :drumrock: :drumrock: :drumrock:

Update needed please.:thumbsup: :beer:

shaangfx
06-17-2003, 04:17 PM
she is hot! perfect!

sad
06-17-2003, 04:37 PM
take a look at google groups or the wacom forum. maybe you find a solution...:shrug:

cleptocat
06-17-2003, 04:57 PM
I have a 9x12 that I use at work and sometimes need to take it home for "work" purposes. I have the same problem that your having while Im at work with this shank halfuseless box called a computer but this never happens at home(using my home box which is barely above the level of shank). The biggest difference between my box at home and the one at work is RAM and the video card. Doubt that helps but thought Id share

SEL
06-18-2003, 04:59 AM
Hey all!!

Im really thankful for all the suggestions for the wacom problem, I downloaded the latest drivers and when I finish rendering on my comp, I will do the necessary changes hoping the wacom works properlly. With that said, I cant turn off the comp until the renders finish, thus I got ancy and wanted to color this thing, so I started with one had on the undo switch for now. Either way, I managed to throw up an update for all who are interested. After this week is over, I promise to really spend some time on this thing. Its been busy with finals all. Thanks again for the support and hope you like the update...

SEL :beer:

http://www.selart.com/other/color_sphynx_test1.jpg

shaangfx
06-18-2003, 05:05 AM
nice man!
the only problem or critique i have is with her torso portion kind of too low?? or may be its just me!

anyways..i want to c more colours coming in! cooooooool! :beer: :bounce:

Virtuoso
06-18-2003, 09:32 AM
I love the up-date. I just cannot figure the problem,i am at a loss.I have had none.This loss is not just your's,it's everyones,due to the fact that now there would have been even more quality art to enjoy.

My only quess is the memory issue.But all will be resolved I hope.

Hey good luck with your finals............And then more 2D art.....OK.

Take care.:beer: :beer:

sad
06-18-2003, 04:20 PM
thanks for then update! i really dig the somehow dirty appearance of the colors. can't wait to see the next step.:bounce:

Gamoron
06-18-2003, 05:23 PM
:thumbsup: Looking good SEL. I think it needs more contrast though. But it's a WIP. :beer:

SEL
06-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Thought I would post a reply saying thanks to everyone for the wacom problem help! Its been fixed and im loving the tablet more, each time I use it. I downloaded the latest drivers, and reset the double click to slow. Everything seems fine now! Thanks again, Plan on a color update by this weekend, finals still in the midst!

SEL

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

SEL
07-13-2003, 03:09 AM
AH!

I didnt have the time to finish this thing! too bad though I will finish the colors, and when done, promise to post it up on the finished galleries thread! Another Great challenge everyone. This will probably be my last challenge for awile, its been a fun ride!!......

SEL

:thumbsup:

Virtuoso
07-14-2003, 01:04 AM
I'll be looking for it in the finished gallerys for sure,and give it that 5 star rating it deserves already not even finished.
You really got skillzzzzz.just great work,I wish I could draw like that.Wacom's must love you.;)

Great work once again.See you soon Sel.:applause: :beer:

Quizboy
07-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Hi Sel,

Very impressive work! May I ask, what size paper do you draw on?

SEL
07-16-2003, 01:29 AM
Hey Virtuoso! Glad to know you man! You are a great guy and talented artist, GL with your Novel endevours..

Quizboy: This piece was drawn on a 8x11 in. piece of smooth bristol. I normally though draw on 11x14 which allows me to get more detail and closer shots.

SEL
07-17-2003, 07:08 AM
I had some time tonight to work on it. Heres the latest colors for the piece. Still has lots more work, but its starting to slowly come together. Night!

SELhttp://www.selart.com/other/color_sphynx_test3.jpg

Jake
07-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Wow!!!

I'm glad I checked back here. The color really adds a lot to an already great piece. Keep up the good work, man!

I'm really looking forward to the finished piece.:buttrock:

GrantMan
08-01-2003, 01:13 AM

Awesome work! Makes me want a wacom tablet even more. I love the detail and style. You are an extremely good traditional artist. My only question is in regards to the last image you posted. Is it just me or is there a double-line thing going on? It seems to blur the image quite a bit. It may be intended in which case I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve. Either way, it's a bad-ass image and I can only hope to produce such good work. Looking forward to the finished product...

Cheers,

-Grant

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.