PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Elephant Goes to Work - Animated Short

spuddith
10-04-2008, 07:40 PM
hey everyone, i've been reading CG talk for a while but i've never posted anything, just content with admiring all the amazing work i've seen here. anyway, here's my first, and probably last, short film, which i finished about a year and a half ago at Sheridan College. i've never posted it online because i was sending it to festivals (rather unsuccessfully), but finally after a year of not doing anything with it, here it is.

hope you all like it. comments are always welcome, even though it's done and i'm never gonna touch this thing again, or ever make another film :cool:.

i don't have anywhere to host a hi-res version, so here's a youtube link:

Mr. Elephant Goes to Work - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-yrioE3blc)

nickomc
10-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Great work! i loved it!
You should make more!! You really jave skills... godd modelling, good animation... And the illumination was cool too!

ragdoll
10-05-2008, 12:10 AM
lmaonade at the door opening part. :D i think you could've done a bit more with it, the repetitiveness made the gag really old really fast. imho, the first 3 or 2 times is enough to set it up for other things to happen...like the door opening part. just my thoughts. i loled anyway. gj

andrewmartin
10-05-2008, 01:42 AM
I actually enjoyed it, but you have made a fundamental filmmaking mistake, which is probably why it was unsuccessful at festivals, and that is a lack of motive for the character.

Why does the elephant need to get through the door? If it's just to go to work, who cares? If it's because it's a magical door where all creatures in this world you have created find true love - then it would be more interesting. It could be ANYTHING but there MUST be a reason the elephant needs to get through the door that engages the audience and has us empathise with his failure.

Visually, I LOVE IT! The character design is great and the animation works well - you have a distinct style that works, and I think that's what kept me interested.

Don't give up on yourself though, I think if you studied animation and film as a story telling medium you would be able to produce something amazing. Set ups and payoffs, character arcs, turning points, etc.

Good job!

ivanisavich
10-05-2008, 02:43 AM
Hehe, well I don't think you should give up filmmaking! There are some clear reasons why this is unsuccessful at the festivals:

1) The joke gets old reeeeal fast. Due to the nature of the joke, it also makes the short very predictable.
2) Because the joke gets so old so fast, having the short come in at just over 4 minutes makes it waaaaaay too long. I mean, it really shouldn't be over 1-1.5 minutes, considering the film is based around only one particular action.
3) Had the door-opening gag only played as a sidekick to some larger story or larger gag, that would have really tied all the loose ends together (as Andrew was alluding to)

Otherwise, the animation is fairly nice (I would have liked to see a bit more squash and stretch, especially since most of the larger moves contain the elephant being hit with hard surfaces) and the rendering style is clear and pleasing.

Anyways, use this film as a tool to learn for your future projects, not as an excuse to give up!! :D

spuddith
10-05-2008, 07:08 AM
thanks for the comments, guys!

yeah, the repetitiveness is my fault :D. i wanted to see how many times i could get away with hitting mr. elephant with the door. i just wanted to make a really simple film about nothing except an elephant who really really wants to go to work. i focused my limited time on the animation, hence the "story" and the simple visual style of the film.

i think one factor, which i noticed a lot from when it was screened in front of an audience versus times when i showed it to only one person, is that the film's a whole lot funnier when it's shown in front of a large audience. the general response is also a lot more enthusiastic after a big screening. i suppose laughter's contagious, and people sort of forgot they just saw 4 minutes of the same thing.

and i'm not really giving up, haha. i made the film for school, and after making this film, the filmmaking bug just hasn't bit me. i'm content with being an animator, at least for now. maybe "never" is too strong a word. :)

x70
10-06-2008, 03:27 PM
host it on vimeo. Youtube = noobs

From what I saw it looked good.

jeremystewart
10-07-2008, 06:09 AM
I don't normally post on here but this short made me laugh. Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2008, 06:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.