PDA

View Full Version : Installing on Ubuntu

Xoliul
10-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi all, I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop, very impressive so far. One of the main reasons I wanted to try Linux is so I could run XSI under Linux (I want to try something really drastically different from Max on Vista).
Now I'm a big Linux noob, read a bit on XSI on ubuntu, there's not much to find other than that it's difficult to get it to run. So is there anyone here that can point me in the right direction for getting XSI to work on a fresh Ubuntu install? Doesn't seem like such a crazy idea to me so I hope this is possible.

Noratio
10-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Compatibility for Ubuntu has been asked by many, but actually they narrowed the supported distros to one, the dead old EOL FC5 . There are many other distros than Ubuntu easier to run XSI as beginner. I'm running it currently on Centos 5.2, others are FC7, Gentoo and so on. Some have managed to run it on Xubuntu but the details are unclear. Likely you are going to face problems saving and opening scenes. I suggest doing some searching Working Linux Distros for XSI 7, some of those are listed at xsibase.

Xoliul
10-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Not really XSI related, but are those other distro's as user-friendly and impressive as Ubuntu? I really don't want to be stuck with some strange OS, I like how Ubuntu now is like Windows, yet faster and sleeker.

Noratio
10-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Ubuntu is taken as the most user friendly distro and that has been the goal. Linux users commonly don't like it to be like windows, it'll be impressive in other means. You'll likely get stuck with discomfort and compatibility issues if you are not willing to make the effort and learn some distro known run XSI. Suse, Fedora, Centos, Rhel all are kind of user friendly for those used to run black screens. Installing and finding packages are in many distros all done from UI tools nowadays if that is what you mean. Still, for me it appears you want it easy, so stay windows. There is no gain without some commitment.

Xoliul
10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
It's not that i'm not willing to commit a bit (isn't doing CG all about commitment anyway?), but I can't afford to spend 4 hours each time I'm installing a distro (it's also a bit boring to do).
Anyway, I managed to install Maya in Ubuntu, it seems to work perfectly and was pretty easy to get it working. I would have preferred XSI over Maya, but so be it.

Noratio
10-06-2008, 08:02 PM
That is alright. Installing xsi on Ubuntu would take you ages. Fedora or Centos I'd setup less than an hour and easier for me than windows. First timer it would take longer for sure.

What you see on your desktop is window manager, Ubuntu is gnome based. For other distros you can install multiple window managers, windows look alike gnome included. So you would see gnome on any distro if you choose so. How packages are managed and what hardware is supported varies among distros and versions. Graphics drivers can be installed manually, I do so with no exeptions and will choose driver version among my needs. This means going out the comfort of X desktop, and there you go, soon I realised the UI tools will be a restriction. I would not choose my tool by OS.

stridiggio
11-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I have another question, what is the most friendly or common distro for use Softimage XSI 6.5 on Linux?: Fedora or CentOS, FC5, or is possible on Ubuntu. I'll switching to Linux soon, but before I wish do the better election for learn in the correct OS, thanks for the advice.

Ps: I read than in ILM they worked Softimage and Maya on Linux but I don't know which distro use them.

Noratio
11-02-2008, 04:18 PM
IMO Centos would give you the least problems, Fedora 7 the latest possible packages, Fedora 5 easy way inbetween I think. From these three only Centos is maintained and receiving updates. Myself using centos 5.2 and has been the easiest thing to maintain and run XSI I've had. I don't know if wacom issue is fixed, that required manual configuration for xorg.conf, still rather easy task to do. Yumex in Centos and Fedora is graphical interface for installing and updating packages that gives you the thing considered userfriendlines, among gnome desktop.

CGTalk Moderation
11-02-2008, 04:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.