PDA

View Full Version : [plugin] PaintOnSurface: new features preview

bellaLugosi
10-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi,

im about to finish some new features for the next update of my PaintOnSurface plugin,
and wanted to get some feedback from the community.
Maybe there's some cool suggestions for improvements ;-)

EDIT: polyPaint video was updated with most recent version

1: paintRows
http://www.dns-plugins.de/video/preview/paintRows.mov
Define a straight Row by clicking two points, and clones will get distributed along it automatically. Clones can be adjusted afterwards as usual.
Row start and end points can be adjusted afterwards.

2: paintPolys
http://www.dns-plugins.de/video/preview/polyPaint_head.mov
create polygons on surfaces by dragging edges.
Polys can be painted from any edge.
painted points can be tweaked on the surface after they are painted.
Points can be merged by dragging them close to one another.

3. when painting splines, the offset slider can be used now to offset spline points in normal direction from the surface.

4. combine stacking and collision prevention.
its possible now to combine these two switches, so that when stacking clones, they are only painted if they dont intersect anything.

5. speed improvements when painting on high-res meshes

Hope ya'll like it ;-)

thanks,
Daniel

http://www.dns-plugins.de
(http://www.dns-plugins.de/)

lllab
10-03-2008, 11:50 AM
very very nice daniel!

cant wait to get this update:-)
cheers
stefan

bellaLugosi
10-03-2008, 11:53 AM
thanks ;-)

im gonna add some more features to these two new modes, and will probably release the update in about two weeks.

cheers,
Daniel

bellaLugosi
10-03-2008, 12:44 PM
ah looks like the post was moved in to the coding sub-forum.

Might i ask the mod why that is?
Can i only post plugin releases in the main forum, and preview's / calls for suggestions belong in this sub-forum ?

or is there no straight rule to go by, and im dependant on the mercy of the forum mods ? ;-)

thanks,
Daniel

Srek
10-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Sorry Daniel, you are right, it wasn't realy matching the subforums intention.
Cheers
Bjrn

bellaLugosi
10-03-2008, 01:48 PM
no problem, thanks for checking it out again.
i'll also try not to unneccessarily bump it after this post ;-)

Gre,
Daniel

51M0N
10-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm very glad to see this. I'm specifically interested in polypaint, finally a retopology tool for c4d. When is it coming out? Any plans on selling it separately?

Another great thing to have, is to be able to select multiple objects and move them on a surface. Something like group snap. I don't know if it's doable, I just assume with all the work you've done with projecting on surface, just throwing another idea.
Along with the polypaint it'll make a couple of powerful retopology tools.

Great job.

ooo
10-03-2008, 03:09 PM
You just keep impressing me! Wow, another great update in the works! :thumbsup:

odo

Mike Abbott
10-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Looking forward to this - it looks great :)

ZoZ
10-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi Daniel,

Great new features! Can't wait for it!!!

sincerely Zoltan

boxy
10-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Superb, I love this plugin!
boxy

bellaLugosi
10-03-2008, 03:47 PM
thanks ya'll, always nice to get positive feedback :)

i'd like to mention though that the update wont be free this time.

update pricing for existing customers will be 10.
I'll probably also raise the plugin price for new customers.

If you dont own the plugin and buy it now at the current price, you will probably hit the grace period and get the update for free.

I'm very glad to see this. I'm specifically interested in polypaint, finally a retopology tool for c4d. When is it coming out? Any plans on selling it separately?

not atm, but if there are many requests, i might consider that.

Another great thing to have, is to be able to select multiple objects and move them on a surface. Something like group snap. I don't know if it's doable, I just assume with all the work you've done with projecting on surface, just throwing another idea.
Along with the polypaint it'll make a couple of powerful retopology tools.
Great job.
Ill think about that, thanks for the hint. :)

rickei
10-03-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm fairly new to C4d, and I had no idea your product existed!
this is wonderful.
I have one question: How does this effect processing and memory? I would like to use this for Archiviz, and landscaping, I see some landscape images in your gallery, but I would like to paint thousands of plants, that could have a few thousand poly each. I would also like to be able to populate a terrain with trees, like eco-paint in Vue. is this a reasonable use of your plugin, or would it create a scene that was too big to work with?

rickei

bellaLugosi
10-03-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm fairly new to C4d, and I had no idea your product existed!
this is wonderful.

thx ;-)

I have one question: How does this effect processing and memory? I would like to use this for Archiviz, and landscaping, I see some landscape images in your gallery, but I would like to paint thousands of plants, that could have a few thousand poly each. I would also like to be able to populate a terrain with trees, like eco-paint in Vue. is this a reasonable use of your plugin, or would it create a scene that was too big to work with?
rickei
concerning the size of the scene / object count , that probably depends mostly on the way cinema 4d handles such scenes.

memory comsumption shouldnt be that bad as you have the option to paint instances, which reduces the amount of memory needed.

about processing power, the only really cpu-taxing features are collicion prevention and stacking. editor performance might get quite choppy if you have lots of objects/polygons, that need to be considered in the computations.

if you plan to use lots of objects in your scene, i reccomend that to paint low poly proxies of your objects as instances, and later replace the instance with the final higher-res version. That should give you the best performance in cinema.

If you want to see how it will work for you, i reccommend to check out the plugin in demo mode. you can download it the plugin from the website.
If you use it with a demoversion of C4D, the plugin will run in demo mode.

hth,
Daniel

tonare
10-03-2008, 07:52 PM
update pricing for existing customers will be 10.

13 bucks(USD) for the paint poly tool alone is well worth it.

Can't wait for this update.:D

Great Job.

Ron

williamsburroughs
10-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Sweetness.

Purchased today. :)

Can't wait for the update. :bowdown:

pepper-boris
10-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Great upgrade Daniel!
mmm.... and keyframe animation?:drool:

bellaLugosi
10-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Great upgrade Daniel!
mmm.... and keyframe animation?:drool:

i'm sorry, this tool is modelling only.. :wise:

mmoir
10-04-2008, 02:33 AM
Hey Daniel,

Looks like lots of progress on this since the last time I looked at it. I haven't been following your progress but I do have a question, the last time you needed a demo copy of C4D to test the Paint on Surface plugin and I guess I wasn't too keen on downloading the demo just to test. Has this changed? Does the demo of Paint on Surface work with the non demo version of C4d, I have C4d 10XL'

Thanks.

bellaLugosi
10-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi.

the last time you needed a demo copy of C4D to test the Paint on Surface plugin and I guess I wasn't too keen on downloading the demo just to test. Has this changed?

its still the same. I did it like that bc it was the fastest way to make a demo for me and also is very safe, bc you cant save ;-)

Your right ofc, its a little tedious to download hundreds of Megabyte just to try out the plugin, if you dont have a c4d demo (any demo >= R9 works btw, R11 demo too).

I'll think about it and maybe change the demo mode, but cant promise anything..

greetings,
Daniel

Psionic Design
10-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Very Nice indeed, the topo stuff will be awesome to create lowpoly meshes from Zbrush models...

Can it project from several models...for instance if my highpoly mesh has several objects, like belts, ammo cases etc can it project onto them...or do I simply connect them all into one mesh??

How does it handle with a mesh of a few million polys??

I recently bought 3D Coat simply because the retopology tools are so cool and easy to use but I'd much prefer never to leave C4D for the task ;-)

edit: 3d coat link:-

http://www.3d-coat.com/retopology.html

bellaLugosi
10-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Can it project from several models...for instance if my highpoly mesh has several objects, like belts, ammo cases etc can it project onto them...or do I simply connect them all into one mesh??

The plugin always works on the currently active object.
If you want to paint on a group of objects, you'd have to connect that into a single object first.

How does it handle with a mesh of a few million polys??

not so good unfortunately.
afaik c4d isnt laid out to handle high res meshes fast, so even w/o the plugin editor display is the not fastest for very high-res meshes.

if you use the plugin there's additional computations to be done for the hit-calculations so performance gets worse , and not better unfortunately ;-)

I recently bought 3D Coat simply because the retopology tools are so cool and easy to use but I'd much prefer never to leave C4D for the task ;-)

When retopologizing very high-res meshes, you'll get much better performance with a software thats specifically designed to do that.

my plugin puts functionality on top of c4d, so performance gets somewhat worse.
ill see if i can optimize my code some, but in my tests, polyPainting its somewhat choppy at meshes with 10k poly's already , and i dont think there's very much i can do about that, as i calculate the hitpositions using c4d internal functions.

On the other hand, performance of the polyPaint feature is not notably worse then the performace of the other features of my plugin. Theay are all mostly identical in that regard.

if you want to paint on sth from a zbrush model, it might be best if you export a lower res version first and paint on that, or maybe just work on a part of a high res model.

When the features are finished, you can download the plugin from my website and try it out in demo-mode, when you install it in a demo version of c4d.

greetings,
Daniel

RickardAx
10-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi Daniel
I like your plugin and i plan to buy it, but i get a little confused when you say that if we buy it now we will "probably" get the new version for free.
Cheers
Rickard

bellaLugosi
10-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi Daniel
I like your plugin and i plan to buy it, but i get a little confused when you say that if we buy it now we will "probably" get the new version for free.
Cheers
Rickard
lol sry bout that.
people who buy the plugin in a 3 weeks time frame before the commercial update will get the update for free. Thing is I cant really tell atm when release will be, as im still adding some stuff, and also have some other work to do.

it might be next week, might be in about 2 weeks.
your chances to hit the grace period are probably best if you buy it around mid of next week ;-)

greetings,
Daniel

bobzilla
10-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Daniel...

Is the latest release (1.21) only for R11, or just had some fixes for R11?

I'm still at 10.5 on Mac.

bellaLugosi
10-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi,

Daniel...
Is the latest release (1.21) only for R11, or just had some fixes for R11?
I'm still at 10.5 on Mac.

just fixes for R11 (and one for all cinema versions).
It still works for all supported cinema versions just as before (9.6+ on mac i think)

cheers,
Daniel

bobzilla
10-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Great! Thanks.

tonare
10-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Good stuff. :D

Thank you!

SilverCity
10-05-2008, 02:05 AM
I haven't tested the latest version, but thanks for fixing the stacking bug. I had a lot of problems with this on my last project.

tomglod
10-05-2008, 06:48 AM
AWESOME PLUGIN.... I THINK YOU"VE GOT ME SOLD....

Peace brother

bellaLugosi
10-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi,

a quick note on performance:
i just tweaked the code and removed some unneccessary stuff, polyPainting works alright now with meshes up to half a mio polys, instead of 10k as stated above ;-)

its starts to get somewhat choppy at around that res though.

cheers,
Daniel

bellaLugosi
10-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi,

i updated the videos on the first post to show some new features i did during the last couple of days:

general:
- major speed improvements when painting on high-res meshes, for all features

paintRows:
- its possible now to tweak the row points after the row is created. just click and drag on start or end point

polyPaint:
- click and drag any existing point to tweak its position on the surface
- shift-click any two points to set a new active edge, from where new polys will be created
- press backspace to delete last poly

The update will be released during the next week.

greetings,
Daniel

shtl
10-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Hey!
Very nice updates!

Looks like surface paint tool could also be useful for retopo!?

Psionic Design
10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info, update looks awesome, I will be purchasing in the next week or so!!

bellaLugosi
10-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi,

here's a quick update witch a complete list of all changes / new features in the upcoming release of PaintOnSurface 1.5 :

--------------------
1: paintRows
http://www.dns-plugins.de/video/preview/paintRows.mov
Define a straight Row by clicking two points, and clones will get distributed along it automatically. Clones can be adjusted afterwards as usual.
Row start and end points can be adjusted afterwards.

2: paintPolys
http://www.dns-plugins.de/video/preview/polyPaint.mov
create polygons on surfaces. first two clicks define the start edge.
After that, each drag defines a new polygon.
Can be offset from surface.
Polys can be painted from any edge.
painted points can be tweaked on the surface after they are painted.

3. when painting splines, the offset slider can be used now to offset spline points in normal direction from the surface.

4. combine stacking and collision prevention.
its possible now to combine these two switches, so that when stacking clones, they are only painted if they dont intersect anything.

5. major speed improvements when painting on high-res meshes
----------

Last thing im gonna add now is the possibility to save polyPaint data in the plugin, so that you can resume a polyPaint sessions later.

cheers,
Daniel

prayas
10-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Totally hooked on this.
The retopo tool is awesome. I had a workflow for this set up but this involved some plugins and a lot of clicking. This is perfect.
Will it be 64bit too? I ordered (and received) my version today. Will you charge again for the next update?
Anyway very good plugin. Now I only need some time to play with it.

P..:

bellaLugosi
10-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi,

Will it be 64bit too?

For Windows systems, 64 bit is already included in the download.

Mac 64Bit might be available sometime in November, but it might also not..
I'll make some official statements on that when i can say something more definite.

Will you charge again for the next update?

Release 1.5 is the first update that is not free. Since initial release in mid July, i released quite some free updates introducing new features and fixes.

Once in a while at major releases with bigger additions, i might charge again some money.
This usually depends on the emount of work that i put in.
Bugfixes and smaller additions will remain free as before.

greetings,
Daniel

ooo
10-09-2008, 01:33 PM
For the current update there is no 64bit Mac available like you wrote, but is the 64bit release included in the upgradeprice? Or will this be another paid upgrade?

Thanks!

odo

bellaLugosi
10-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi,

64Bit is in the end just a recompile, so i would'nt charge for that ofc, just like i didnt charge for the win 64Bit version of the plugin when it came out. ;-)

As stated above this is the first non-free update, which is mostly due to the amount of work that went into the new features, but also to somewhat compensate for the time i put into all the free updates (4 or 5) since initial release.

greetings,
Daniel

ooo
10-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks! I'm more than happy to pay for the excellent new features. So no worries! :)
Hopefully a 64bit OSX version will be available too in the coming months!

odo

bellaLugosi
10-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks! I'm more than happy to pay for the excellent new features. So no worries! :)

thanks man, good to know its apprecciated ;-)

I'll keep you posted on any updates regarding mac 64Bit.

cheers,
Daniel

bellaLugosi
10-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Hi,

here's another upadate on the upcoming release of PaintOnSurface 1.5.

I changed some things about the polyPaint feature, above all, i dont use temporary polygons anymore, instead cinema polygons are used all the way, which has the big advantage that you can easily switch between polyPaint and cinema's own modelling tools.
For example you could paint some polys, then make some cuts with the knife tool, or use the bridge tool, then switch back to polyPaint and create some more poly's.

furthermore theres a new switch, 'zig-zag mode'.
if its activated, the direction that you have to drag, to create a poly, is changed with every created polygon, which makes creating polys even faster.

Its also possible now to combine polygons by joining points.
To do this you just drag two points on one another.
These two points must not share a polygon though.
This restriction avoid creation of triangles.

Here's a clip showing the current state of the polyPaint tool:
http://www.dns-plugins.de/video/prev...Paint_head.mov (http://www.dns-plugins.de/video/preview/polyPaint_head.mov)

I hope you like it ;-)

Release of PaintOnSurface v1.5, including the PolyPaint-Tool, will probably be next week.

greetings,
Daniel

daytona
10-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Brilliant, well done, Count me in.

SilverCity
10-16-2008, 09:53 PM
polyPaint looks really good. Very simple and easy to use. How is the performance as the number of polygons increase? Any slowdown at all?

Do you plan on adding other features to PaintOnSurface and if so, have you thought about breaking the plugin up into separate pieces? Maybe someone may want just the paint on surface tool and not the re-topologize tool, or vice versa.

Some people have complained about C4D falling behind other apps in terms of modeling. Maybe you can work on adding in better modeling tools to your plugins. On the other hand, maybe Maxon is currently working on updating modeling in C4D?

prayas
10-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Brilliant stuff. I like to have this please. Fit's in the new workflow i like to do here with Mudbox which i'm going to order in a few weeks.

P..:

tonare
10-16-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm blown away.

Great job.

bellaLugosi
10-17-2008, 09:33 AM
polyPaint looks really good. Very simple and easy to use. How is the performance as the number of polygons increase? Any slowdown at all?

Yes, it does get slower with increasing poly count, simple because you have to do a hit deetction for every polygon in the surface that you paint on.
Atm its ok for me up to half a million polys, a little bit laggy, but still ok.

I'm currently about to implement a selection mode though. So that when activated, you can only paint on selected poyls, and the tool will internally work on a copy of the original surface, that will only consist of the selected polys. That should speed it up some, if your working on really high-res stuff.

Do you plan on adding other features to PaintOnSurface and if so, have you thought about breaking the plugin up into separate pieces? Maybe someone may want just the paint on surface tool and not the re-topologize tool, or vice versa.

Yes I do plan to add more stuff, and I might make polyPaint available seperately at a later date.

Some people have complained about C4D falling behind other apps in terms of modeling. Maybe you can work on adding in better modeling tools to your plugins. On the other hand, maybe Maxon is currently working on updating modeling in C4D?
Actually i like c4d's modelling Tools, but there's always room for improvements ;-)

greetings,
Daniel

Psionic Design
10-17-2008, 10:03 AM
That is just beautiful ;-) Thanks so much for creating this tool, extremely useful for highpoly sculpting > lowpoly modelling and great for detailing, things like adding clothing, straps etc...Awesome!!

Consider me a customer as soon as it's released and keep up the great work!!

tonare
10-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Is there any ETA on this?

I can't wait to get this.

jimzepellin
10-17-2008, 06:52 PM
I was already sold on this plugin but now it's realy taking off.
Love it.

bellaLugosi
10-17-2008, 06:53 PM
There's one more cool thing im working on atm, which is nearly finished :)
After that i have to test it some more for stability and bugs.

The plan is to release during the next 7 days or so.

greetings,
Daniel

JDP
10-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi, just wondering how long it takes to get a serial, just bought it but didn't receive an email, is it automatically generated?

regards,
JDP

bellaLugosi
10-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi,

Hi, just wondering how long it takes to get a serial, just bought it but didn't receive an email, is it automatically generated?

regards,
JDP

you should have received your serial already, maybe it got caught in your spam filter ?
I have this a lot with customers that are behind AT&T servers..

I'll send the serial again from another email account..

JDP
10-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Got it now, thanks. I had already checked my spam box and it wasn't there.

Regards,
JDP

ntcrawler
10-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Wow. Where do I sign up?

chi
10-17-2008, 11:27 PM
this looks like a great tool...will definitely speed up topology work in cinema...its a shame that you still need to use c4ds knife tool though...and chance of that being worked out of the equation?

bellaLugosi
10-17-2008, 11:38 PM
tbh i dont really see anything negative with that, actually i think of it as a feature that you can switch back and forth between polyPaint and all of cinema's modelling tools.
Else i'd have te re-do all of cinema's poly tools in my plugin, which wouldnt really make sense.

You probably mean it would speed up the workflow if you wouldnt have to switch between tools ?

tonare
10-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Any updates?

bellaLugosi
10-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi,

Any updates?

yes, actually im about finished now, only thing left to do is to get the mac release ready.
I updated the website with some current preview videos of the new 1.5 features and also rewrote the Manual to be up-to-date with PaintOnSurface 1.5.
I also included images in the manual now, and added a small howto section for more advanced use ;-)

prayas
10-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Great news. Thanks for the info.
I was thinking about how easy my work would have been this afternoon. The old way with polytools and points and a lot of clicking took some hours. ;)
Make a big loud anouncement when it's finished and up, so i wont miss it.

P..:

georgedrakakis
10-24-2008, 08:40 AM
hi,
that's a lot of improvements!
just a quick question; will owners of PoS get a notify e-mail when the update is released?

bellaLugosi
10-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Hi,

yes ill write a news-mail to all my customers.
Actually the update is available right now from the website ;-)

I'll write the mail shortly and also make another thred about the release here later today.

greetings,
Daniel

prayas
10-24-2008, 10:03 AM
thanks for the mail on grace period for customers who just bought the plugin.

P..:

CGTalk Moderation
10-24-2008, 10:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.