PDA

View Full Version : Symmetry

paul k.
06-08-2003, 01:30 AM
Hey all.
I was trying to use symmetry mode and I ran into a snag. I created a box started to model with it. Then I decided symmetry was needed so I added a symmetry map. All woked fine until I added some edges. The original points that existed when I had applied symmetry still work symmetrically, but the new points that were created are not affected symmetrically and I don't know how to conect them to the symmetry map. Am I doing something wrong. It seems weird that every time I add some geometry I would have to link it to the symmetry map? I am new to XSI however, so any help that could be provided would really be appreciated thanks.
Paul

AIX
06-08-2003, 08:47 AM
hi paul.

i know that this is really annoying but you have to reapply the symmetry map everytime you add geometry.
here is a little script i use....so i only have to press one button.

ActivateObjectSelTool

if selection.count = 1 then

DeleteObj selection(0).name & _
"." & selection(0).type & _
".cls.*"

CreateSymmetryMap

LogMessage "Symmetry Map applied"

end if

as an alternative you could of course mirror one half to the other side ..... then you don't have to reapply anything.

> create the half you want to mirror
> clone it
> type a "-" in front of the x value in the scale field

some additional steps you can do are:

> select the original mesh and the clone
> create > Poly.Mesh > merge
> hide the cloned half
> apply some material to the original half and make the object fully transparent
> select the merged mesh and hit + to smooth it
> make the merged mesh unselectable so you don't accidently move point on this mesh but only on the original half

cheers chris

paul k.
06-08-2003, 10:40 AM
Thanks a lot chris, yeah you are right this is quite a pain. I wonder if it will be fixed in 3.5. It seems odd the XSI has such a wonderful tool set and something as simple as this would get by them. Chris did you write the script I havn't tried it yet but I really appreciate the help. Thanks.
Paul

vmpre
06-08-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by paul k.
Thanks a lot chris, yeah you are right this is quite a pain. I wonder if it will be fixed in 3.5. It seems odd the XSI has such a wonderful tool set and something as simple as this would get by them. Chris did you write the script I havn't tried it yet but I really appreciate the help. Thanks.
Paul

New Features for v3.5
http://www.softimage.com/products/Xsi/v3/new_v35/default.asp

Under the modeling section: New symmetrized polygons.

To see it very breifly in action:
http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Video_Gallery/2003/New_in_v35_QT1.htm

Vmpre

Stoehr
06-18-2003, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by AIX
hi paul.

i know that this is really annoying but you have to reapply the symmetry map everytime you add geometry.
here is a little script i use....so i only have to press one button.

ActivateObjectSelTool

if selection.count = 1 then

DeleteObj selection(0).name & _
"." & selection(0).type & _
".cls.*"

CreateSymmetryMap

LogMessage "Symmetry Map applied"

end if

as an alternative you could of course mirror one half to the other side ..... then you don't have to reapply anything.

> create the half you want to mirror
> clone it
> type a "-" in front of the x value in the scale field

some additional steps you can do are:

> select the original mesh and the clone
> create > Poly.Mesh > merge
> hide the cloned half
> apply some material to the original half and make the object fully transparent
> select the merged mesh and hit + to smooth it
> make the merged mesh unselectable so you don't accidently move point on this mesh but only on the original half

cheers chris

Unfortunately, this script doesn't work in the EXP version.
This error pops up.

'ERROR : "2404 - Feature not available in XSI Experience version. - [line 5]"

This is Line 5: DeleteObj selection(0).name & _

oh well, I'll try it some other time.

vmpre
06-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Scripting has been limited in the EXP version.

Most likely thats why it will not run.

Vmpre

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.