PDA

View Full Version : My first Animation, feedback welcome.

DanHaffner
10-02-2008, 02:13 AM
I am currently a student in Computer Animation at a university. In my Fundamentals of Animation class we were given a scene to animate. All the textures, models, anything that is not an actual animated action was not done by me. So please don't tell me how bad the textures or model is, I didn't make them. I simply lit the scene and placed an image in the background. Feed back is welcomed as always, the users here are amazing at this industry so any advice is good advice.

So far at out all my classes, Shading and Lighting, all the modeling classes, character modeling, hard surface modeling, I enjoy animation by far the most and will likely pursue that as a career with a minor in rigging. Any ways, enough with the chatter, onto the show!

http://www.vimeo.com/1863150

Also note, I am very unhappy with the ending on it, he feels too light, he floats around, no squashing to explain how he is getting in the air, but I was pressed for time.

wildtjack
10-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Is that really your first animation? That's pretty darned good for a first timer.
What university are you at?

DanHaffner
10-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Yea, first one I have ever done. I am currently going to Full Sail University down in Orlando. Thanks for the encouragement.

gauravindian
10-02-2008, 08:57 PM
I am very impressed with your work.Keep up the good work mate.

thejudge07
10-06-2008, 07:29 PM
very impressive, Do you happen to know Daniel DelaPenia. He's a buddy of mine that goes there. I myself am pursuing a career in animation. You think you can check out my progress from time to time to spot me? I working on one of my first animations ever for school. I will graduate this December and move on to Animation Mentors..anyways keep in touch, I like your grasp of it.

Animatter
10-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Hey, that is pretty cool for a first try, but obviously you want to go and get better from here, so try doing it again but use as much reference as possible, infact first off, you should try each little part of that whole animation individually. Try tests on things like balancing along a beam, walking stairs, staggering, and so on. Practice walk cycles for a while or even just bouncing balls and all that basic stuff, just to embed a good sense of weight and timing in your mind.

Also take into account that the guy has heavy armor on and a pretty large head and try and make that apparent in his movement. I'm not saying he should drag his head around in a shopping kart or anything but at the end when he pulls that sword, there should be some kind of visible weight to his head. At the moment his flips back an forward as if its made of paper. A good thing to do would be to reign it in a bit. A real head may move back and forwards quite far like that but his is so big that a small movement form his neck means a massive arc on his head. Also like I said before use reference, act it out yourself and think about how you would do it. would you tilt your head right back or would you pull your shoulders up and dig your chin into your chest? theres no right way, just ask these kinds of questions, explore different possibilities and reactions to each situation especialy if you would like ot become a character animator.

One last thing to be getting on with is his feet, they seem to lift off the ground toe first alot of the time or flat, they realy need to look like they are pushin him forward so you would see his heel coming up first with the ball of the foot still flat on the floor, and the heel going down first, one exception to this is when he goes up the stairs, where the toes normally go down first.

sorry I dont mean to lay into it or anying, its very good for a first run, but its quite long so there's alot to pick up on in there, but I hope you can use all of what I said to help you on your way.

Matt

DanHaffner
10-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Wow man, thanks for the awesome feedback, will be sure to take a look into all those points and to watch for it in the future with new animations. Thanks for taking the time to make such an awesome post.

CGTalk Moderation
10-08-2008, 10:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.