PDA

View Full Version : Anti-aliasing problem...

Goatfuzz
06-07-2003, 10:21 PM
I was working on a picture and using the line tool with anti-aliasing on, but the lines are still somewhat jagged. I blurred the image later, but the lines are now just blurry rather than solid and smooth. My question: can you set your own preferances for the anti-aliasing (I'm using Photoshop 6)? :curious:
Before the blur:
http://www.geocities.com/mentalrabbitus/tri_copy1.jpg.txt

After the blur (I'm not happy with the effect):
http://www.geocities.com/mentalrabbitus/tri_copy2.jpg.txt

Ian Jones
06-08-2003, 03:11 AM
Unfortuately, I don't think you can. the solution is to draw everything at a much larger size, then downscale to the intended output. this way you can sneak in extra details and hide the aliasing. Adobe really should offer a customizable level of AA and not to mention a few other features aswell in their future releases.

singularity2006
06-08-2003, 06:38 AM
yah, for something like that the only easy way to go is Illustrator... Photoshop doesn't work well with vectors.

theGuest
06-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Yup, work at a higher res.

The lines are jaggy because PS is a Raster app. Best i can explain that so it's easy to understand is, your paint strokes are made up of pixels, and pixels are square.

Blurring won't solve anything in this situation.

As mentioned too... a Vector program would be best if quality is a real issue.

Goatfuzz
06-08-2003, 07:02 PM
What if I did a guasan (sp?) blur and then sharpened the image with the sharpening tool?

singularity2006
06-08-2003, 08:14 PM
try doing the gaussian and then using levels, adjust ur white and black balance... i think that will be able to clear the blur lines.

Lucidium
06-08-2003, 08:29 PM
Anti-aliasing isn't a blur, it's faking more detail than there is, by making it look as if the image is at a higher resolution.

The computer can't make up more detail on it's own, so there's no quick way of anti-aliasing a raster image.

I'd have to agree with what everyone's been saying, the best way of doing anti-aliasing is to work a couple times larger than you need to, then resize down. That way the detail's there in the first place.

Goatfuzz
06-08-2003, 08:38 PM
I know all about pixels and anti-aliasing, but I guess I'll have to hope that the next Photoshop has a customizable anti-aliasing option. I'll try out the scaling of the image plan. Thanks for the help everyone! :)

theGuest
06-08-2003, 11:23 PM
Just to put a 'period' on this...

gBlurring and resharpening is not an option. It won't work for this kind of thing.

And using the ol' levels trick will only work if you've drawn your lines on the background layer -- so the black is then embedded into the white (ala a channel or layer mask).

Higher res image is the way to go.

:bounce:

singularity2006
06-09-2003, 12:29 AM
really? I've had pretty good results with the lines embedded.

theGuest
06-09-2003, 03:20 AM
And using the ol' levels trick will only work if you've drawn your lines on the background layer -- so the black is then embedded into the white (ala a channel or layer mask).

Ya... that's what i said. ;)

dg
06-09-2003, 09:37 PM
Just some stupid questions

- Why do you need this type of drawing done in PS?

- Can't you use something like Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDraw, Expression, etc...?

- What is the resolution of your file?

- Could someone mention a 2D soft that uses customizable level of AA?

That's all, see you all later,
Bye! :beer:

Goatfuzz
06-10-2003, 01:30 AM
-diogo girondi-
-Because I don't have Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDraw, or Expression. I was just doodling anyways and got to wondering why Photoshop doesn't have an option for adjusting the anti-aliasing. :)

theGuest
06-10-2003, 02:34 AM
I believe MM Fireworks has that "adjustable AA" ability.
PSP might too... as might Ulead PhotoImpact.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.