PDA

View Full Version : Fashion Victim 2010, Anne Pogoda (2D)

DarkTownArt
10-01-2008, 01:15 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g87/186087/186087_1271549231_medium.jpg

Title: Fashion Victim 2010
Name: Anne Pogoda
Software: Painter, Photoshop

- DO NOT ALTER IT & DO NOT CUT OFF/ STAMP AWAY MY SIGNATURE
- DO NOT USE IT FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSE
- WHEN YOU WANT TO SHARE IT YOU HAVE TO CREDIT ME AND LINK BACK TO MY PROFILE

Update: After 2 years I decided to rework some old pieces of mine. This is one of them.

Old: My, I am excited to finally publish this! It's been months ago since I painted it and at first it seemed like I'd be totally ruining it. It is one of the few private pieces that I painted back then, supposedly showing the mood of happyness combined with a lovely fashion design since I have much fun with these.

Later... Rodrigo (digitalinkrod) decided to get on my nerves each day to finally post my new (private) stuff that I had to promise him to show something here. Blah... sometimes it happens that the stuff I just make for me eventually turns out into my best pieces?!

Hum... this piece is featured in Exotique 4 alongside with some other more or less recent paintings of mine. It will also be seen in the first artbook from "Artsquare" to which I was invited after Exotique 4. I might also add a tutorial to their collection, who knows...

leocda
10-01-2008, 01:46 PM
I think her hair is not so nice as her face and body.

Maybe if you make a more detailed and well positioned hair this piece could be even better.

DarkTownArt
10-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Well, thank you for bringing that up. I think this is the best critique I've ever got, about painting hair, you know... awesome! :D
So next time I paint a piece for myself I'll be wondering what the hair could look like to avoid any offense... Okay now I'm joking. ;)
Cause if you really wanna help me out, why don't we share MSN UINS? Are you good with applying lighting to a figure? I just don't seem to get it right. I also could need help with hands. So if you're good with that we could possibly chat about this and that and you could give me some tips for my future pieces? That would be awesome you know, cause I'm obviously learning nothing from all those "Oh you're so good!" critiques.
Thanks man, you can find my MSN UIN in my profile! :)

Symphonic7
10-01-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm obviously learning nothing from all those "Oh you're so good!" critiques.

...and i was going to compliment you, thinking this piece is one of your more original ones...but now i'm strangely intimidated...heehee. anyways, i'm not very good with critiques, but i just wanted to say i liked it because i get the feeling the character has a history and personality, and for me that has always been far more important than how perfect the lines are (although i have little to pinpoint there as you do perfectly fine =) ) ~ but ye, great piece =)

leocda
10-01-2008, 09:59 PM
I was not trying to tell you how you should make your draw.

I was just trying to give a sincere oppinion for some improving concerning the way I see it. Maybe it can be perfect for other people, I don't know.

I will give my best (very humble) oppinion:

I like your shapes; draw is not a problem for you at all.
I like your lights; you put it in good places.

Maybe you could try to think a little bit different about the way you deal with darker parts. The left side of her face (our right), for example, has less light than the other side. You made it, but in some way you made it blurred and not darker (see the mouth). Do you know what I mean? Sometimes we get confused between light level and focus level. Darker is not blurrer.

Well ... I think lack of focus is the main problem of the hair in this piece. Maybe it was like that on purpose, like some kind of "magic mood". Anyway, it should not affect just the hair, I guess. Some meshes of her hair are there, but there are a big part blurred all around. For example: the top part where hair split in two sides is very blurred (solid color) and it's even in the light side.

I think the good face and body "ask for" a more detailed hair.

About hair position: the top part of her hair is "flying". It could be like that, but just by wind or if she had made a strong moving. By the position I see, I could guess it shoud be a very fast head turning. The problem is: the rest of the piece doesn't show me this moving. She looks like quiet by her body position and by the bottom part of her hair.

I can be totally wrong, but it's just what I see.

I hope I could tell you something useful. If not, just let it go. The intention was good.

Best regards!

DarkTownArt
10-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Symphonic: Seriously, if you want to compliment it, or critique it, it's both just fine!
It's the way you feel, you know? And that's no problem to me at all.
Let's say I don't like how too many people are letting the "negative part" fall apart because they are afraid of whatever. It is nice, but it doesn't help me to improve. If I know what you guys are irritated with this is good, because then I know, concerning others, what works for my art and what not. That's importent when I have to deal with art created for others.

leocda: That's much better. Now I see what you are irritated with. The fact that I did not sharpen everything equally much confuses you. I did that because I wanted the eye to be drawn along certain points.
When I sharpen everything the same it is nice, but your eye will just look at it as one sheer mass. So yes, the hair at the lower right corner is blurred. I tell you why: If I would handle it the same as on the top of her head, your eyes would follow these lines, looking around the face, NOT following the upper strands, the eyes, the bright site of the lips and then her dress, stopping somewhere in the middle.
They would just follow the hair alongside the outer shape of her body and then drop outside the picture. That is one thing I do not want.
If you want to make it "good" make sure to have several focuses that keep the eye on the picture. Have I managed to kept your eyes for longer on this picture than for 2 seconds?
If not, fail, but it's OK. ;)
Another note: You'd also not recognize the strongness of the upper movement as intense as you do now if I sharpened everything the same.
So yeah, I don't think that what I did is "wrong" from my point of view.
And about the light, it is not the softness. The light on my figure is wrong when you take a look at the left site of her body. I just managed to fool your eyes, it seems, sothat you don't recognize it, but I think her left site should be darker, like her cheek is darker, too.
Did not change that cause I do not touch pictures that are just a few months old. That would keep me working forever on one and the same piece.

MarioVeltri
10-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Wow! sexy and glamour!

Goor
10-02-2008, 07:49 PM
very sexy and I like this awesome Hair

conbom
10-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi, i took a look through your portfolio, something is bothering me slightly with the faces, to my eyes the lips are to wide, to the point of being uncanny. Maybe this is because you intentionally enlarge the eyes and then get the lips to follow in "perfect proportion".

Have you heard of a guy called Yoshitaka Amano? My opinion the best character designer on the planet, anyway he drew lips very tiny i`m not suggesting you go to that extent but prehaphs see a little where he is coming from, his characters are allways very beautiful and this seems like somthing you strive for.

Asside from that though your paintings are really nice.

http://www.amanosworld.com/html/work/arslan/arslan3.html

Edit: Especially this one btw

http://azurelle.cgsociety.org/gallery/674948/

DarkTownArt
10-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Thanks guys!

Conbom: This artist seems to be doing great stuff but he is going into a completely different direction than I am. He is more towards... drawing. I am a painter. And I am messy. I wouldn't be able to work as fine as he does. :/
Besides... you are right about the big lips. My own face goes a bit to the direction of the image that you have linked here... guess we all want what we don't have. I don't have that full lips, small nose or big eyes, and so I paint them. :P

SirNeo
10-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Anne;

Great work as always:thumbsup:

phoenix
12-03-2008, 06:02 PM
wow she is lovely and pretty

regards

CGTalk Moderation
12-03-2008, 06:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.