PDA

View Full Version : 1,000 Cash Prize Announced for New DX Studio Games Competition

bobsterling
09-30-2008, 02:23 PM
In line with the recent release of DX Studio Version 3, we have just launched a competition for the best game demo made using the DX Studio platform. With a deadline of midnight (GMT) 20th December it only gives entrants 80 days to get from scratch to a complete game.

The prize for 1st place will be 1,000 cash, a Commercial Pro DX Studio license (worth 375) and a limited edition DX Studio Polo Shirt and USB key. Runners up will receive a Non-commercial Pro DX Studio license, Polo Shirt and USB key. Winners will be announced on 22nd December and the best games will be made available to play on the DX Studio website.

Full details of the competition can be found at www.dxstudio.com (http://www.dxstudio.com/).

CHRiTTeR
09-30-2008, 08:27 PM
and what about the game? will it be published? If so, then 1000 is peanuts

I wish i could hire a game-dev team for 80 days and only pay 1000, lol

Let alone a whole bunch of teams and only needing to pay the one i like most

R10k
10-01-2008, 03:08 AM
...it only gives entrants 80 days to get from scratch to a complete game.

That's a huge amount of time, especially considering DX Studio is supposed to make game dev faster.

Galo
10-01-2008, 07:18 AM
What about the ppl having to cope with the free version, does it contain as much functionality as the full version, that wouldn't be fair now would it... ;)

bobsterling
10-01-2008, 08:31 AM
@ ChriTTeR - All entrants keep ownership of the games they create, we will just show a demo of it on the website (and give it a bit of extra publicity if they wish). I know the cash prize is not massive but you don't need a whole dev team to create a game - most of our entrants will probably be individuals using existing models from our library.

@ R10k - Yes, you can make a decent game in a few days, but we have given it plenty of time as a lot of our users are hobbyists with full time jobs and not a great deal of free time.

@ Galo - The freeware version just puts up watermark if the mesh limitation is exceeded and we won't take that into account when judging. The only thing you can't do with the freeware is a networking.

R10k
10-01-2008, 08:45 AM
...but we have given it plenty of time as a lot of our users are hobbyists with full time jobs and not a great deal of free time.

That's still a lot of time :) I recently entered a competition with someone else and finished a full game during 'after work hours' over two weeks. It was hard work, sure, but that's part of what made it a successful competition. If you give people too much time, how can you demonstrate rapid application development using DX Studio? Just a thought for next time ;)

Galo
10-01-2008, 11:13 AM
That's still a lot of time :) I recently entered a competition with someone else and finished a full game during 'after work hours' over two weeks. It was hard work, sure, but that's part of what made it a successful competition. If you give people too much time, how can you demonstrate rapid application development using DX Studio? Just a thought for next time ;)

well you wouldn't be able to do that in 2 weeks not knowing quadelidoo about game development now do you, so users who downloaded and work with dx for the first time need to also learn the complete package at hand.

So i say cheers for that much time...

DeVangiel
10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm excited, and being new to the program myself, it seems pretty straightforward and easy to use. Good luck to all!

CHRiTTeR
10-01-2008, 07:21 PM
@ ChriTTeR - All entrants keep ownership of the games they create, we will just show a demo of it on the website (and give it a bit of extra publicity if they wish). I know the cash prize is not massive but you don't need a whole dev team to create a game - most of our entrants will probably be individuals using existing models from our library.

Sounds cool then!

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2008, 07:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.