PDA

View Full Version : Converting materials to file textures.

Bri_Spencer
06-07-2003, 05:17 AM
How do I convert a material into file a texture? I've tried it and I keep getting errors that tell me to do different things. When I do what the error suggests I get another error.

woopinship
06-14-2003, 05:16 AM
are you talking about baking your lighting to have a texture with the light and material effects? Almost like for a game environment?

or do you want to make a projected texture or 3d texture into a 2d texture without the projection node?

no matter what you want out of these options, you can go to edit > convert to file texture...options in your hypershade.
The options are quite strait forward.

Be sure to select your material then your surface first (or maybe your surface and then your material...i forget...its one or the other)

Hope that helps...

W

Bri_Spencer
06-17-2003, 05:52 PM
I tried that and it only works about half of the time with extremely simple materials, but thank you. Also how do you do that thing you were talking about when you bake lights and shadows into the material. Thanks a lot.

woopinship
06-18-2003, 10:11 PM
you basically check the bake lighting box in the same option window as the bake textures.

at the alias wavefront site they show you how to do it with mental ray...which, i might add, is no different than if you were to use the maya software engine.

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/mentalray/movies/lightmapping2.shtml

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/mentalray/movies/lightmapping.shtml

another thing that i found really helps when you go to "convert to file texture" in the hypershade, is to bake it at the same resolution that the texture was before you baked it. Also, do not use a filter.

Hope those tutorials help.

W

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.