PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Nemo

mental
06-07-2003, 01:17 AM
Apparently, water treatment workers have been finding a lot more pieces of fish in the systems in the last week. :thumbsdow
Kids be warned: Flushing your pet fish down the drain will not send it safely into the ocean as depicted in the movie "Finding Nemo."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/06/05/state2022EDT0148.DTL

A company that manufactures equipment used to process sewage issued a press release Thursday warning that drain pipes do lead to the ocean -- eventually -- but first the fluid goes through powerful machines that "shred solids into tiny particles."

"In truth, no one would ever find Nemo and the movie would be called 'Grinding Nemo,"' wrote the JWC Environmental company, which makes the trademarked "Muffin Monster" shredding pumps.

In the unlikely event Nemo survived the deadly machines, the company added, he would probably be killed by the chlorine disinfection.ugh.

-mental :surprised

Leonard
06-07-2003, 01:35 AM
That's absolutely horrific. Geez aren't parents looking out for their kids doing stupid things like this?

L.

Agent D
06-07-2003, 02:11 AM
That's... kinda funny (but still sad) :surprised

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'll keep that in mind when I do. LOL

bentllama
06-07-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Leonard
That's absolutely horrific. Geez aren't parents looking out for their kids doing stupid things like this?

L.

I remember a girl that put her cat in the microwave and said she saw it in Gremlins... :eek:

KOBALT_KORE
06-07-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Leonard

L.

The tv is the main parent for most kids these days...:sad:

E.Z. Schwartz
06-07-2003, 04:47 AM
Horrific? We are talking about fish right? That was my biggest beaf with the movie, I don't care about fish :(
Kids trying to set their fish free is kind of funny though :)

dbclemons
06-07-2003, 05:30 AM
Setting your live pet fish free... IN THE TOILET? :eek:

"Bye, Nemo. I want you to swim free, so I dropping you into this place where I pee-pee, since I'm too lazy to drop you in the street runoff drain, or walk to a creek, or any more reasonable large body of water. Look out for that stinky stuff on the way. Sniff."

Flush!

Boone
06-07-2003, 01:24 PM
There is only one way to educate children as to the reality of flushing their pets down the loo...

...watch Alligator!!!:twisted:

Chewey
06-07-2003, 02:29 PM
Brings to mind a new method of "Freeing Willy".
:eek:

yog
06-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by mental
....trademarked "Muffin Monster" shredding pumps.

Are Muffin Monsters related to Muff Divers ?
If so I've seen some Muffin Monsters in my time :thumbsup:

kwshipman
06-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Well the shreder is probably a less painful way for a fish to die than if it actually made it to the ocean. The vast majority of pet fish are freshwater fish. If they make it to the ocean they would slowly die from suffocation of sorts. Kind of like sufficating from inhaling a gas that is not oxogen, would be the closest analogy for a human.

Joril
06-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
I remember a girl that put her cat in the microwave and said she saw it in Gremlins... :eek:

Over here that's an urban legend, with a dog though. "Because they were to lazy/in a hurry to dry him after his bath"
;)

The flushing fish is typical childisch naivity. I even think some less gifted adults think toilets lead straight to the ocean too.. :rolleyes:

griffdrc
06-09-2003, 05:53 AM
u mean my fish isn't swimming in the ocean with his family? i guess i flushed that picture of me down the toliet for nothing? and of course the microwave doesn't dry off animals... thats what the driers for... d'uh

Gentle Fury
06-10-2003, 05:01 PM
the funny thing is, in the movie when he goes down the toilet it leads to a water treatment plant that nearly kills him.......guess the kiddies were more interested in digging in their noses than paying attention to poor lil nemo's peril and near demise!

what a great movie that was :)

NanoGator
06-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by bentllama

Funny, that scene in Gremlins clearly showed the Gremlin dying. Assuming that story's not an urban legend, the girl knew exactly what'd happen.

heavyness
06-10-2003, 10:13 PM
i think this company said this because the back when the live action 101 Dalmations came out, TONS of kids wanted Dalmations. but, like any fad, they slowly lost interest and found out Dalmations aren't the greatest w/ kids and were taken back to the pet shelter.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.