PDA

View Full Version : nice car surfacing (reflection)

thiaml
06-07-2003, 12:16 AM
can anyone give me some advice on surfacing a car. i'm trying to give it a very polish look (studio photograph kind of style). do i need to create objects in the background for the car to reflect on? does the plugin G2 any helpful in this case?

Rei Ayanami
06-07-2003, 12:27 AM
use a HDRI map for the reflection, its how most people do it. should be some in the LW HDRI directory, most on the net will cost a bit though. google is a good place to start.

Nikos
06-07-2003, 12:46 AM
You might also want to add a reflector (white luminous rectangular polygon) above the car to get that characteristic white rim.

You can get pretty good results without G2 as long as you manage to get the fresnel (incidence angle shaders) looking right.

Also it sometimes helps not to rely solely on the reflection. Having a shader that does multiple specular highlights, e.g. Gaffer, G2, BRDF, you can first create a quite matte base specular layer and then add a sharp high glossy specular layer on top.

thiaml
06-07-2003, 01:33 AM
is there a way to create multiple specular without buying a plugin. can i ask what is a brdf plugin?

Triple G
06-07-2003, 02:18 AM
Dude, I hate to say this, but RTFM. It's right there on pages 31.60 - 31.62. :surprised

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.