PDA

View Full Version : xfrog trees to modo 302?

shokan
09-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Can anyone offer some advice about importing Xfrog trees into modo 302? Or, experience with any other tree generator of photo-realistic output and use in modo? For me, it's btween modo and XSI.
Thanks.

Erik Heyninck
09-27-2008, 06:50 AM
If you intend to buy trees from Greenworks: they are sold on dvd's and, I quote their formats: "MAYA, MAX, C4D, LWO, OBJ, VUE D'ESPRIT, BRYCE, 3DS and XFROG. PLUS, a import plugin for XSI 4.2 and higher."

I guess they have examples on their site.

shokan
09-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Would there be problems with a grove of Xfrog trees in modo because of the huge poly count?

Martin Kay
09-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Would there be problems with a grove of Xfrog trees in modo because of the huge poly count?

If you look at some of the recent additions to the Modo gallery there are a few images that have a lot of trees used- mostly as 'instances'. Judging by the 'quality' of the trees in the images they look as if they came from Onyx Tree Pro, which in my opinion is the best tree generator. Xfrog has a library of various trees and you can do a lot of other things with it, but Tree pro is the best tree generator by a long shot. Yes they are memory intensive.

http://www.luxology.com/gallery/image.aspx?id=5243

This image is a good example and is Tree pro I think.

Martin K

shokan
09-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Onyx vs Xfrog...Onyx because of more photorealsim?

Martin Kay
09-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Onyx vs Xfrog...Onyx because of more photorealsim?

Onyx Tree has the most comprehensive collection of accurately constructed/parametrically adjustable trees. The various parts of each tree/bush are seperately grouped to aid texturing- you can texture how and with what you wish when the mesh has finally been imported into the app of your choice.

Martin K

shokan
10-11-2008, 09:15 PM
I still haven't been able to do this. I open a tree that I exported as .obj from Xfrog and open it in modo. It appears as a grey overall monochrome object with mini-planes as leaves. If someone knows how to do this correctly, can you outline the procedure?

Thanks.

Martin Kay
10-12-2008, 10:39 AM
I still haven't been able to do this. I open a tree that I exported as .obj from Xfrog and open it in modo. It appears as a grey overall monochrome object with mini-planes as leaves. If someone knows how to do this correctly, can you outline the procedure?

Thanks.

xFrog supplies a number of 'exporters' for various 3D applications. I don't know if there is one for Modo yet- obviously you need the alpha information for the shape of the leaves which you won't get just by importing an obj. Look on their site.
In fact Greenworks don't support import to Modo. A better bet would be to use Tree Pro.

Martin K

duke
10-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Just use the OBJ's. The materials will be named correctly but you'll probably have to reconstruct them in Modo (which you'd want to do anyway).

e3di
10-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Check out the new Evermotion tree collection, it rocks. The fbx versions import perfectly too. I am using them as I type. Plus instance rocks!! I did a test with at least 100 instances and Modo rendered it fine.

shokan
10-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks.
I want to feature one or two dramatic close-up trees in my scenes and be able to have very high sculpted detail, and in general the ability to edit the original, whatever that source tree might be. Any suggestions for the source model among all that's out there?

e3di
10-29-2008, 08:44 AM
The evermotion ones are great for close up, download the example on and have a play. I am sure you could play around with it in Modo.

shushens
11-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Export a model of your choice to 3DS using the XFrog software.

Open the 3DS in 3D Object Converter (I use 4.2).

Save it out as OBJ.

Import the OBJ from within Modo.

The textures will be in place, but the opacity maps for the leaves will not be properly connected.

Re-establish the connection from the shader-tree.

That's it.

At least that is what worked for me. Same thing for XSI. That plugin does not work on its own for XSI 6 or higher, and for 4 and 5 it is highly crash prone anyway. It requires a library that it does not come with. I could never quite understand what DLL that is, and Greenworks never responded to my e-mail. So that is what I do.

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2008, 04:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.