PDA

View Full Version : First realtime character

alaklij
04-27-2002, 06:10 AM
Critiques are welcome. The human is to gain a sense of scale. The creature is 3316 polys.

I'm starting production of an independent game. I hope to have a cinematic type gameplay demo within 6-12 months.

This particular dog demon took about 16 hours to created after making some mistakes I won't make again.

And he is obviously untextured, which is the next step. If you have any weird tips or "things you wish you knew about texturing when you first started" that you would like to tell me; would be nice.

:bounce: I love this bouncy guy!!

alaklij
04-27-2002, 06:11 AM
more pictures...

alaklij
04-27-2002, 06:13 AM
more...

alaklij
04-27-2002, 06:18 AM
more...

alaklij
04-27-2002, 07:09 AM
I just realized wireframes would be nice to see.

:bounce:

alaklij
04-27-2002, 07:10 AM
another wireframe...

natski
05-02-2002, 11:49 AM
I like the scale, but you might want to try curve the spine a little. At the moment the neck juts out at about a 90 degree angle from the shoulders. I think if you curved the spine from where the pelvis would be, forward at the stomach, back at the shoulderblades, then followed that through to the head it would look a lot better.

Nice head though. :thumbsup:

Jonny Bubonic
05-07-2002, 11:44 AM
Looking good, alaklij. Nothing to say about texturing apart from use the texture space well...I mean totally cram as much as you can into that texture square.
Was just responding to mention that you might like to try prelighting your character...makes a subtle but effective difference. Think I saw a 3d Max related tutorial on this on Bobo's site at http://www.bobotheseal.com , but it looks like you're working in maya. The same principles apply, but obviously the tools are different. Its just a case of setting up a scene with a few lights, selecting the character as an object then hitting "prelight" from the edit polygons>colours menu (near the bottom). You'll need to dick around with some of the prelight options and the lights themselves, but its definitely worth it.
Please post up anything new (including texture sheets), 'cause its looking very promising so far.

alaklij
05-08-2002, 03:24 AM
Jonny,
I'll look into this "prelighting" thing, sounds good. I modeled the characters in Lightwave, and I'm trying to texture and animate in 3ds max, so I can take advantage of Maxscript.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.