PDA

View Full Version : Monster-hunter WIP

OrjanSvendsen
09-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi. Ive been working on this here for a couple of days, but i need a little advice.

1. Any ideas for the arm? I was thinking about her holding some kind of sword that she had killed the monster with, but i cant seem to make it work.

2. Spicing up the image. The entirety of the image is a little "boring" to me. Any color ideas or athmospheric effects i can use to give it more depth and "pop"?

Thanks in advance! Paintovers are very welcome

CybrGfx
09-26-2008, 10:18 PM
The composition is very flat and static.

I could cut her out of this image, and put her in front of a kitten sleeping, and given a bloody sword, it would have the same effect...
There is no unity between the woman and the monster. They are two different and separate images, pasted together.

Put her on top of the monster with her sword imbedded in the skull. That's integrating the images...

~C

TedNindo
09-26-2008, 10:38 PM
I like the look of the pants so far and the general color feel. What I would recommend you is to take a slightly other color for your background and desaturate it that will make the characters more prominent.

OrjanSvendsen
09-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

Cyber: I definetly understand what you're talking about! Only problem is that this is gonna be a print that im gonna sell at an fantasy/anime convention next month. Its for all ages, so im gonna try to keep all kinds of direct violence out of the image. Is there any way i can unite the two without actually having her smite away?

TedNindo: How is this?

CybrGfx
09-27-2008, 12:07 PM
I love the rationalization that having a nubile, semi-naked chick with a sword in front of a dead whatzit is okay, but "overt" violence isn't...whatever.

Re-read my reply, and simply take out the last sentence. Every word is still spot on, although you now have some nice, vague, homogenizing blah surrounding the chick and the dead whatzit... IMO, the new version is worse than the original, because the hard edges of the design at least made the image interesting from an edgy, graphics, standpoint.

Now you've got a boring "Fishing/hunting" picture. "And this is the giant whatzit I killed last summer at my cousin Nico's enclave! Don't I look fierce?"
I wouldn't be holding my breath for a lot of sales with either version, due to the "sticker effect" of the woman.

Again, you can stick her in front of anything, with about the same amount of visual interaction.
It's called compositional unity, and you don't have it. Covering everything up with fake foliage, color desaturation, or anything else you add or do to this image won't give it to you. At the end of the day, you will still have a semi-naked chick stuck in front of a dead whatzit...

Now, just in the interest of being open-minded...Can you possibly provide a link to JUST ONE Animé or Manga image that approximates your type of "non-violent" violence? EVERY promotional image for Manga characters I've seen (and while I have not seen every one on the planet, I've seen a fair amount) essentially does not show dead whatzits of any type. Either the sword is engaged in battle, or it's displayed as show. But, I can make the same request for you to provide an Animé image that has the character looking so "cut and paste." Same difference...

Integration. Unity. Flow. Movement. This image is missing these vital things, because the composition never incorportated them in the first place.
~C

OrjanSvendsen
09-27-2008, 12:26 PM
To be honest that cat looks scarier than my monster =/

I do see your point. When i look back on previous artworks ive done the same problem is haunting me. I think i doomed this painting the moment i decided on my composition and thats what i need to work on before i do anything else.

So heres what im gonna do. Im kind of sick of this painting at this stage, so im just gonna finish it and call it done, then put it away. Since its a personal work, im letting noone down. (but myself)

THEN, im gonna start a new skull splitting monster vs person one where trying to get awesome composition is the main focus. Then im gonna have you slaughter it until i do it perfect, and thats when ill start my rendering. Would you be willing to do that?

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2008, 12:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.