PDA

View Full Version : crit and advice - car smashing through window

mynewcat
09-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Can someone look at this test shot of a car smashing through a window

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vvKFxQC4fc

Obviously I need to up the particle amount!

Basically, as you can see the particles are pretty uniform (especially when they land); is there any way I can (by cheating or otherwise) have more of the vehicle motion transfered into the other particles, so the hole it punches through isn't so clear cut?

I'm worried that it might be more complicated than I think.

I saw a video on youtube of a car smashing through glass and it's not very exciting - I want to sex it up a bit - although I've done another version with fragmented glass panels they are too big, and I think safety glass is supposed to break into tiny pieces like that.

Any guidance at this point would be great - this is a personal project I'm doing at work so I conly have a coupl eof hours at the end of each day before I hit the wall (especially as it's friday!!) so a point in the right direction from my learned colleagues on CGtalk would be useful.

noouch
09-26-2008, 12:09 PM
You can cheat it by animating a force that repulses (like a gravity set to a negative value) to push the particles outward as the car crashes through the window. This should give the effect that there is more force involved than just the car pushing particles out of place.

Also, a slight jolt from a wind space warp with turbulence will send your particles in more random directions.

mynewcat
09-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Schon, danke.

I thought this might be the case - are you suggesting I animate the strength of those forces for just the moment as the car bursts through the window?

noouch
09-26-2008, 04:31 PM
are you suggesting I animate the strength of those forces for just the moment as the car bursts through the window?
Yup. It'll give the extra "oomph" that the collision of the car itself doesn't generate.

JonathanFreisler
09-27-2008, 03:53 PM
yeah, also the glass would spray out more (divergence) and wouldn't all break 100% at once. Also it needs to be pushed out, try adding a wind with some decay to give it a big push (like noouch said), its currently just falling, not being impacted by the car. It just looks a bit to clean and not messy enough, some variation will help.

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2008, 03:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.