PDA

View Full Version : How did they do it?

fifty3dragons
09-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Just curious if anyone can tell me (i.e. speculate) as to how the animation in this clip was achieved? (it begins with live action interview from a documentary entitled "Cocaine Cowboys 2," but after a few seconds some animated sequences/re-enactments kick in):

Clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em5GUMkzMYE)

My best guess is either some sort of hand drawn figures projected as textures or something onto 3D models, or 2d hand drawn "cutouts" manipulated in a program like After Effects.

Thanks in advance for any clues!

MolemanSD7
09-26-2008, 04:27 PM
probably just 2d sketches applied to planes in 3d space. or after effects....it could be done either way. Just depends on which program you're more familiar with.

nanogirl
10-01-2008, 09:56 AM
They are cut out, say you have a big image with all of these people in it, what they did was (in photoshop) cut out around each one of the people so that they are by themselves (transparent around them like a png or tiff format) they then imported each of these cut out parts/people onto a background in something like AE or Combustion and animated them in there (by moving them around in front of the background or making them bigger and moving the camera). For things like the eye movement you could even just have the guy in photoshop (named guy 1) and then change his eye and resave it as guy 2, then just flip between them in AE or Combustion. In there you could also add the fluids and flashes. Gina

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2008, 09:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.