PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for FF skies in 3D?

Steveyola
06-06-2003, 08:54 PM
I was hoping I could get a tip or advice on creating Final Fantasy type skies.They would be for scenes created in 3D full scaled stills.Not matte paintings.
Any tut's or advice would be greatly appreaciated ,thanks very much.:beer:

chach
06-06-2003, 09:10 PM
not 2d matte paintings? why post in the ps forum then?
u want 3d volumetric skies, you're gonna use noise.
FF the movie or the game and which one?
maybe you should post a picture of what you want to make.
FYI, alot of the skies in FF were matte paintings, by AWESOME artists. met a coupe of them at siggraph and they said they did it all with big-arse wacom tablets.

Steveyola
06-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Well like the movie. But they will be for 3D sets,but just stills.So somewhere in-between the two 2D and 3D I quess.I own a big Wacom,but need some extra tips on skies for the BG of my stills/3D sets. In other words I want to create my models in 3D and then make it a still. And then paint the sky for the 3D still.Perferably in Photoshop.

Thanks again.:beer:

chach
06-07-2003, 09:28 PM
The FFTSW skies are all so realistic, I would just suggest using as much of the best reference you can find as possible.
Its not clear to me exactly what type of techniques you're looking for, but there are a couple I use for skies.
I use 3dsmax, so, I use images placed in the environment as my skies.
I like to use turbulent noise scaled along one axis and animated moving along that same axis, with a slow phase animation and a few layers I can get some pretty neat effects.
I would suggest going here to look for more help: http://digitalart.org/
the artists here dedicate themselves exclusively to 2d painting with photoshop, painter, gimp, etc. Probably seems kinda silly to anyone that's worked in 3d, but, there's some purists there that can just paint their butts off.
hope it helps.

Steveyola
06-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Thanks very much "CHACH".:beer:

Your advise and link do help,thanks again.:beer:

Levitateme
06-30-2003, 12:27 PM
hi Steveyola

if you want to paint skies, if you just make some custom brushes, it can be very easy cause clouds arent complicated. i would just make some brushes, look at how clouds look in som epics. you can then make some brushes that can mimick them. ciao

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.