PDA

View Full Version : Something That My Design School Gave Me That Has Me CONFUSED!

SacredM
09-25-2008, 10:37 AM
So im starting college on Oct 6th at IADT (International Academy for Design and Technology) and im studying for a BS degree in Game Design. So i went today to get my books and I.D and all that stuff. I was supprised at how much extra stuff they give you that you would have to actually pay for. BUT GET THIS! When i went home and opened up all my stuff guess what they gave me and probably every student, playing cards and dice? yea, what? It was included in a proper design kit and everything. Everything they gave me was to do with what courses i had for the semester, i have drawing so they gave me drawing pads and supplies, i have intro to game design, so they gave me 3d design and animation books. I was thinking they gave it to me for my math classes but i dont have any this semester and i only have college algebra and Logic.

So my question to you guys, and guys who have gone to game design schools, is there any significance with the cards and dice? Does that help with anything to do with game design? Or am i just blowing this WAY out of preportion.

Ive got pics of what they gave me including the cards and dice on my blog HERE. (http://www.gamerheat.com/?p=185)

noouch
09-25-2008, 10:53 AM
They're for gambling, silly. Now grab a couple of fellow students and start taking bets ;)

Or maybe they handed them out as a reminder that the simplest games are sometimes the best?

SacredM
09-25-2008, 10:58 AM
They're for gambling, silly. Now grab a couple of fellow students and start taking bets ;)

Or maybe they handed them out as a reminder that the simplest games are sometimes the best?

lol, gambling, i actually first though they gave that to us for ratio and probability. But thats a good thought, simplest games are sometimes the best.

AJ
09-25-2008, 12:24 PM
is there any significance with the cards and dice? Does that help with anything to do with game design?
Card games.
Dice games.

Artbot
09-25-2008, 04:24 PM
A subtle hint that tuition is going up and loan assistance is going away?

DisturbeD2k
09-25-2008, 04:29 PM
so you can become a lvl 10 D&D master of course.

lebada
09-25-2008, 04:34 PM
its a hint that says going to that school is a 30000 dollar gamble...but you keep the dice even if you fail.:shrug::D

DeVangiel
09-25-2008, 04:46 PM
If you want to be a great game designer, as with anything, you NEED to understand the fundamentals. Think of every board game you have ever played, and probably 99.99 percent of them had cards, dice, or both. The fact is, games were around in humanity long before VIDEO games were, and ALL video games (yes ALL) carry mechanics passed down from old pen and paper table-top games, or card and dice games.
For example, every RPG game ever made contains mechanics that relate to building a set of character stats as you progress through the game. Sound familiar?
Yes...every RPG video game owes homage to Dungeons & Dragons. The dice provide a core mathematical mechanic of figuring damage, character stats, and indeed nearly every other aspect of character interaction in the game. Even FPS and Fighting games owe a debt to classic table top gaming. I could go on about Shadowrun, Rifts, Axis and Allies, and all manner of other card, dice, and pen and paper games, but the point I will try to make is that if you want to learn to be a great game designer, the cards and dice you recieved will be key instruments in your education.
I have a feeling you will be required at some point to make a game using either/or. If you can make a fun game using only the basic tools, you can make any game great, and not just a pretty looking game with hollow boring gameplay, (I'm looking at you Crysis).

blank
09-25-2008, 05:41 PM
think about it.

dice and cards are not games they are an aparatus which you invent a game around.

can you invent a new card game? or a new dice game?

or a new game involving both dice, cards a bottle of jack daniels and some cheerleaders?

now your thinking ;-)

noouch
09-25-2008, 05:46 PM
a new game involving both dice, cards a bottle of jack daniels and some cheerleaders?
I would totally play this.

Umpalumpa
09-25-2008, 07:42 PM
In any case - they got you thinking, and that's probably the most important thing in college.

SacredM
09-25-2008, 07:54 PM
If you want to be a great game designer, as with anything, you NEED to understand the fundamentals. Think of every board game you have ever played, and probably 99.99 percent of them had cards, dice, or both. The fact is, games were around in humanity long before VIDEO games were, and ALL video games (yes ALL) carry mechanics passed down from old pen and paper table-top games, or card and dice games.
For example, every RPG game ever made contains mechanics that relate to building a set of character stats as you progress through the game. Sound familiar?
Yes...every RPG video game owes homage to Dungeons & Dragons. The dice provide a core mathematical mechanic of figuring damage, character stats, and indeed nearly every other aspect of character interaction in the game. Even FPS and Fighting games owe a debt to classic table top gaming. I could go on about Shadowrun, Rifts, Axis and Allies, and all manner of other card, dice, and pen and paper games, but the point I will try to make is that if you want to learn to be a great game designer, the cards and dice you recieved will be key instruments in your education.
I have a feeling you will be required at some point to make a game using either/or. If you can make a fun game using only the basic tools, you can make any game great, and not just a pretty looking game with hollow boring gameplay, (I'm looking at you Crysis).

i see what you saying man, you got to learn the basics first, you cant learn to run before you can learn to walk. Thanks.

DeVangiel
09-25-2008, 08:09 PM
You're welcome SacredM, In my design school we not only had to make card games and dice games, but Completely new table-top games from nothing more than cut out squares of paper for our units, and a pencil map drawn on large paper.

Granted, later on we made cool looking units and stuff in photoshop and cut them out with a plotter , but the basics were ingrained into our skulls.

We also had to make games from random Items, once me and my team made a game out of a pool noodle, squishy plush ball, toothpicks, and a wiffle ball.

You really have to dig deep into that imagination part that made up games when you were a kid.

I really recommend playing not only lots of video games, but try playing many different table-top games, everything from your standard card games, to insanely complex games like Magic or Warhammer and HeroClix.

Good luck in your education!;)

SacredM
09-25-2008, 08:46 PM
You're welcome SacredM, In my design school we not only had to make card games and dice games, but Completely new table-top games from nothing more than cut out squares of paper for our units, and a pencil map drawn on large paper.

Granted, later on we made cool looking units and stuff in photoshop and cut them out with a plotter , but the basics were ingrained into our skulls.

We also had to make games from random Items, once me and my team made a game out of a pool noodle, squishy plush ball, toothpicks, and a wiffle ball.

You really have to dig deep into that imagination part that made up games when you were a kid.

I really recommend playing not only lots of video games, but try playing many different table-top games, everything from your standard card games, to insanely complex games like Magic or Warhammer and HeroClix.

Good luck in your education!;)

ill definitely think up games with cards and dice, and thanks again!

Kanga
09-26-2008, 12:52 AM
t
or a new game involving both dice, cards a bottle of jack daniels and some cheerleaders?

now your thinking ;-)
Holy crap! DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS.

:D

Mic_Ma
09-26-2008, 02:11 AM
You can use that metal ruler as an *excellent* sword for training your animation timing skills. Plus, it's super useful in drawing characters and stuff.

SacredM
09-26-2008, 03:38 AM
You can use that metal ruler as an *excellent* sword for training your animation timing skills. Plus, it's super useful in drawing characters and stuff.

lol, true true.

R10k
09-26-2008, 04:35 AM
On a side note: game art 101- not saving your images as bitmaps. Go change those images on your blog from 3 meg bitmaps to jpegs, or pngs.

SacredM
09-26-2008, 07:21 AM
On a side note: game art 101- not saving your images as bitmaps. Go change those images on your blog from 3 meg bitmaps to jpegs, or pngs.

wow, 3 megs?! damn sony cybershot, ill update that soon as possible

R10k
09-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Now now, no blaming the camera :)

I shall have a look when you've made the changes.

dunkelzahn
09-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Holy crap! DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS.
:D

More like Dungeons and Cheerleaders :thumbsup: (Ooooh, that would go down very well in my RPG collection.)

This might be worth looking into though ;)

http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ffn/strips/2008-05-21.jpg

SacredM
09-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Now now, no blaming the camera :)

I shall have a look when you've made the changes.

you can look now, i changed the pics, only the college pics not the other ones, too lazy

JesseGraffam
09-27-2008, 01:11 AM
So im starting college on Oct 6th at IADT (International Academy for Design and Technology) and im studying for a BS degree in Game Design. So i went today to get my books and I.D and all that stuff. I was supprised at how much extra stuff they give you that you would have to actually pay for. BUT GET THIS! When i went home and opened up all my stuff guess what they gave me and probably every student, playing cards and dice? yea, what? It was included in a proper design kit and everything. Everything they gave me was to do with what courses i had for the semester, i have drawing so they gave me drawing pads and supplies, i have intro to game design, so they gave me 3d design and animation books. I was thinking they gave it to me for my math classes but i dont have any this semester and i only have college algebra and Logic.

So my question to you guys, and guys who have gone to game design schools, is there any significance with the cards and dice? Does that help with anything to do with game design? Or am i just blowing this WAY out of preportion.

Consider yourself lucky. My art school didn't give me shit. I had to pay tuition and buy all my books and supplies. Not many schools do what yours is doing. The cards are probably just for downtime when you're relaxing. You can't work all the time you know.

SacredM
09-27-2008, 05:00 AM
Consider yourself lucky. My art school didn't give me shit. I had to pay tuition and buy all my books and supplies. Not many schools do what yours is doing. The cards are probably just for downtime when you're relaxing. You can't work all the time you know.

really, didnt give you anything? well mine was included in financial aid so it wasnt bad all of it would have been $500. But i dont wanna relax, lol, i gotta get good at this

JesseGraffam
09-27-2008, 05:40 AM
Well they gave me an education. You're gonna have to relax at some point, otherwise you'll burn out. Trust me you'll want to relax eventually. Also most art schools make you pay for books and supplies separately.

SacredM
09-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Well they gave me an education. You're gonna have to relax at some point, otherwise you'll burn out. Trust me you'll want to relax eventually. Also most art schools make you pay for books and supplies separately.

true, might play some video games to relax and learn at the same time right, lol! ahhh love being a game design student

R10k
09-27-2008, 02:16 PM
you can look now, i changed the pics, only the college pics not the other ones, too lazy

Yeah, um... the images are still almost a meg in size. Do they really need to be as large as they are? In future, scale images like that back to 640x480, or something similar, and drop the quality down to 80-90. Crop them if you need to show something close up. Even though it's your blog, don't be lazy. Start working on good digital art practices now.

Blah blah blah, thanks for the images of the stuff anyway. That's quite interesting...

SacredM
09-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Yeah, um... the images are still almost a meg in size. Do they really need to be as large as they are? In future, scale images like that back to 640x480, or something similar, and drop the quality down to 80-90. Crop them if you need to show something close up. Even though it's your blog, don't be lazy. Start working on good digital art practices now.

Blah blah blah, thanks for the images of the stuff anyway. That's quite interesting...

ok will do in the future when i post my first sketches up, the quality is at 80 tho

DoubleSupercool
09-28-2008, 01:36 AM
I am not sure if the OP was asking a genuine question or not (hard to tell on the interweb), but seriously, you are about to start a game design course, they give you dice and cards, two of the most used and adaptable pieces of "game equipment" in the world, and you don't know what they are for or their significance?

I hope it is a 4 year course dude . . . ;)

SacredM
09-28-2008, 12:37 PM
I am not sure if the OP was asking a genuine question or not (hard to tell on the interweb), but seriously, you are about to start a game design course, they give you dice and cards, two of the most used and adaptable pieces of "game equipment" in the world, and you don't know what they are for or their significance?

I hope it is a 4 year course dude . . . ;)

its a 3 year course;) , i was just really confused thats all, they gave me all this pro art stuff and then out of the bag comes out a pack of cards and dice.:hmm:

wesdood
10-01-2008, 09:20 PM
it's to remind you that the simplest games are the best.

Matellis
10-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I went to that school and I didnt get anything! well besides a shitty education from teachers that just graduated from the place themselves :(

One day I was hanging out with a game design teacher there and after months of asking he finally showed me his website and all that was on the site was a crap rendering of a skull and a list of about a 100 video games he beat.

Have fun!

ReBootedOne
10-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Heh, my old roommate was a game design major. his assignments didn't even involve a computer till the second semester of the second year; the whole first year and a half was pure theory, designing board/role-playing/"real world" games and usin' the ol' imagination, heh.

SacredM
10-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I went to that school and I didnt get anything! well besides a shitty education from teachers that just graduated from the place themselves :(

One day I was hanging out with a game design teacher there and after months of asking he finally showed me his website and all that was on the site was a crap rendering of a skull and a list of about a 100 video games he beat.

Have fun!

what you put into the school is what you get out of it, i plan to go further than what the teachers teach me and teach myself in my own time at home or were ever i am, i dont know if you did that but im just saying? im planing to get the most and more out of my school and teachers, BTW my i ask you where you went to IADT?

Matellis
10-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I went to the IADT in Toronto, Canada. The best thing I learned in that school was how to teach myself. But other then that it was only basics they thought. And the class only went as advanced as the least advanced student.

As long as you dont pull alnighters just to play counterstrike with your classmates and actually focus you will do alright :D

SacredM
10-04-2008, 02:32 AM
I went to the IADT in Toronto, Canada. The best thing I learned in that school was how to teach myself. But other then that it was only basics they thought. And the class only went as advanced as the least advanced student.

As long as you dont pull alnighters just to play counterstrike with your classmates and actually focus you will do alright :D

oh ok, well i think every IADT school is different, like the teachers and how they teach. I think they might take it more serious here because EA is in Maitland, Orlando and also theres alot of military simulations that go around orlando

YankyBJeans
10-04-2008, 03:22 AM
side note, i see spray on fixative for preserving charcoal drawings and the like in your goodie pics. be careful with that stuff. its usually pretty toxic to breath in and if you use it indoors it can really hit ya hard. use it outdoors, and when you run out, get the cheapest plain old hairspray that you can. works the same and saves you cash, while being non-toxic (in moderation of course)

cheers on all those sparkly new books and instruments. nothing like the smell of a new kneadable eraser :)

tempelaars24
03-26-2009, 10:16 PM
I would think that such things serve as a muse of sorts. If you watch "the making of" most pixar movies you get to see the character designers in their offices, notice they have a great deal of toys and stuff around. Not only does this set the mood to keep them in high spirits but it also serves to enhance their creative idea generation. I my self have posters toys and stuff lyng about where I do my work. Though I am only studyng animaiton at this point I feel that this sort of thing really does help.

it's better than sitting at an empty desk with nothing on it anyway's, that's my 5c

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2009, 10:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.