PDA

View Full Version : Renderfarm anyone?

todd4cgi
06-06-2003, 04:51 PM
I have an extra PC that I want to use to help my main computer render. How do you setup/hookup computers as a "renderfarm"/network rendering?

1armedScissor
06-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Combustion ships with a network rendering tool called "backburner". So check the documentation that came with your copy of combustion and it will help you out in setting it up.

GrantKay
06-06-2003, 05:50 PM
Hi,

All you need to do is install combustion on your spare machine. It automatically includes the install of backburner (our network rendering software).

Combustion needs to be registered so you will not be able to boot it on your spare machine but backburner does not need licensing and you can have it running on as many machines as you want.

In order for it to work successfully you need to have a TCP/IP network running.

Very important point to mention is that everything you use in the workspace in combustion must be traced using UNC file path naming as apposed to the local drive naming.

So when you source out footage in the browser window, you must do it through the network neighborhood icon. This ensure that you have the following:

//Mymachine\images\image.avi

The reason for this is if you were just using local drive paths like C:\images\image.avi then your render stantion would look on its on hard drive for the footage. It would not find the footage and the render would not complete.

Good luck!!!!

Regards
Grant

DISCREET UK

todd4cgi
06-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Thanks, Grant.

Does the documentation that came with my Combustion have detailed instructions on setting up the TCP/IP network?

Do I hook my computers together through the built-in LAN (10/100) line? Is that what you mean by TCP/IP?

Chris
06-13-2003, 07:23 AM
TCP/IP is a protocol (a computer language) that sends data through that 10/100 LAN. So you need to hook the two computers together, with a 'crossover cable' if you are going from the back of one computer to the other, otherwise with x2 lan cables & a network hub/router. The rest depends on the operating systems of the two computers.

todd4cgi
06-13-2003, 02:15 PM
My main computer runs on Windows XP Home. The other computer I would put backburner on runs on Windows 2000.

Would that be a compatible combination?

GrantKay
06-13-2003, 03:07 PM
Yes, it should not be a problem. As long as they are correctly networked together and each machine can see each other on the network and each machine can be identified with a unique IP address...

Regards
Grant

DISCREET UK

todd4cgi
06-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Is there a straight-forward walkthrough from beginning to end to set this up? The User Guide seems to have the set up broken down into several sections.

Can you point me to the page to start on? I'm a little hesitant because I don't want to screw anything up.

:shrug:

GrantKay
06-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Hi,

Chapter 28: Network rendering...

Regards
Grant

DISCREET UK

todd4cgi
06-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Thanks, Grant. I'll look that up when I get home. If I have any questions I'll post them here.

Thanks again. You're very helpful. :thumbsup:

boomji
06-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by todd4cgi

Thanks again. You're very helpful. :thumbsup:
...ahem, youre ALL very helpful ;)

b

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.