PDA

View Full Version : Split "displacement" spline into X and Y

cbechmann
09-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi.

Is there anyway to change the animation spline of mergers and X-forms? When makin an animation, the spline created is in a value called "displacement", apparently going from 0 to 1. I would rather have an X and Y (similar to the graph editors of 3ds max/maya).

I have tried to find alternative tools, rightclick in spline view, but i cannot find any way to change it.

Is there a way to change the representation of the splines? Should i use another tool to animate my stuff? Or is it working as intended, and i just dont know how to handle it right?

Thanks in advance
cbechmann

theotheo
09-24-2008, 03:18 PM
If you want it default to animate with XY paths you can open prefs and go to defaults. Set the "Points with" to XY Path.

If you want to animate with the XY path instead of displacement just rightclick a value (like .center) and then choose "modify with" -> Xy Path.

Hope that helps! :)

-theo

cbechmann
09-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Perfect!

That was exactly what i was looking for :)

I have to admit that i don't get what the general idea with the displacement is. It doesn't appear logical to me, but i guess that depends on your personal workflow.

Thanks again :beer:

- cbechmann

PieterVH
10-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I have to admit that i don't get what the general idea with the displacement is. It doesn't appear logical to me, but i guess that depends on your personal workflow.

It's really quite simple, the displacement is a function controlling your position on a predefined path at a given time. So if you know exactly what path you are following (and do not want to change that path one bit), it is peanuts to tweak the timing after. Easier than with an XY path. Obviously it has its disadvantages, which you yourself discovered.

So whichever workflow you prefer, really.

CGTalk Moderation
10-03-2008, 11:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.