PDA

View Full Version : school mag cover = comments, ideas!

freedMOTH
06-06-2003, 03:33 PM
first things first, i'm not someone who had formal education of photoshop, but just dabble in it a lot (lol). so please excuse me if the images look amatuerish and not up to standard... i'm just a high school student!
haha anyway, enough of my blabs, i'm trying to design a cover for my school's magazine... i'm bored of all their past designs, which is always technology related and i've always been pro-nature. eh, what the hell, i'm using technology to do this! lol, anyway, they told me i should put more tech-related stuff in it.
any sweet, darling person would like to suggest on how can i squeeze technology into this? {btw, comments will be highly appreciated}
have two versions, dunno which should i choose to submit:
V1 >
http://www.angelfire.com/scary/hippo/images/schoolmag081.gif
V2>
http://www.angelfire.com/scary/hippo/images/schoolmag082.gif

should i just lose the rose? it's not supposed to be there, but everyone said the black space is too empty... i ran out of ideas on what to put there. there's a few other designs too, but those are too crappy...

truly,
freedmoth//hippo

fandalis
06-06-2003, 04:07 PM
you can drop the rose if it don't have any significance in your
compo. if you still want to retain it, give less emphasis to it.
in my own opinion, the black space is ok as long as there's
a text/copy at the bottom of the black blank space then add
some stroke or something else. i think this will balance your
layout.

hope this helps.

:thumbsup:

Vexed
06-06-2003, 05:11 PM
I personally like the rose in the second one. Overall I think you have done an excellent job on the cover. Also, don't worry about not being formally educated in photoshop. I don't think that most of us have had any classes on it. I know that I taught myself most of what I know. Which is quite a good thing because when I went to college I found that I already knew a lot of what was being covered. That was because I had the drive to go out there and learn what I needed to know to carry on my career. Well enough of all that good job on the cover :thumbsup:

SuperMax
06-06-2003, 05:52 PM
Try putting some highlights behind the Hand, Writing and the Rose.

It looks those things are just stuck on. Given them some sort of background that blends them into the picture.

freedMOTH
06-07-2003, 05:18 PM
ah, here i am again! did major changes to it. am not sure whether it looked worse or better than before
LOL
anyway, thanks for your comments and ideas, i fiddled with some of them... like the shadows, dya think the shadow behind the word 'perwira' is okay? and yea, i dropped the rose too...
dya suppose the swirlies are destroying the look of it? :hmm: or shall i add more till it reaches the edge?? LOL

and vexed, thanks for being a glass half-full, lol, i'm planning to go into digital animation... cross your fingers! lol

any more crits or comments for the latest update of image? just spill it, cuz i have to show the editor next week!
http://www.angelfire.com/scary/hippo/images/schoolmag083.JPG

Goatfuzz
06-07-2003, 09:27 PM
I like the last one you did much more than the others. I thought that the plain crystalized filter was too much, but the blurred looks alot better. Plus I like those swirls at the bottom. Nice job! :beer:

schmu_20mol
06-09-2003, 10:37 PM
just one thing for now....your 'header' is intersecting with that logo what takes away some of the clean look you achieved for now and it looks kinda (i hate to say this 'coz it sounds so stupid) unprofessional :banghead:

no offense...just keep on working

fandalis
06-10-2003, 07:09 AM
yeah, i agree with schmu... and also your cover title, i think its
very weak in black font color but i really like the font you used.
the second layout i think is enuff and clean (w/o the rose). blurring too much
destructs the integrity of your layout. your third layout
lacks contrast because of the color scheme and the dark shades.
my advise is to print this in black and white so you can see the
balance of your layout.

just experiment... you'll have a nice, professional look later. :thumbsup:

hope this helps :beer:

Maven
06-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Good Start...just cut back on the use of Filters.

freedMOTH
06-13-2003, 01:59 PM
haha, guess what, i'm taking a rest from the hand cover
it's just rough copies, btw so it wont look good...
meanwhile, i did two more.one for fun, the other serious

this one is just for the sake of relaxing, and i do not expect it to make it. the whole process is extremely fun, maybe it's the bright colours but i have to stay realistic (the only way anyone else will like this is when hell freezes over) and stop floating off to dreamland or something, lol. but i think it'll look better without the rainbows and the 'PERWIRA'. hmm, nvm.
http://www.angelfire.com/scary/hippo/images/schoolmag09.gif

this one looks more clean and hopefully, more professional than the last ones. i've spoken to the school editor and they said they want blue and black, for it's like a erm, tradition? at first the stripes were green, but i adjusted it. they liked the hand layout, but they want it in blue, black, LOL. anyway, here's the second image
http://www.angelfire.com/scary/hippo/images/schoolmag101.gif

fandalis >> i tried, but they want darker blue, harrumph! lol. but yes,i think the last one is too dark... will try to fix it once frustration against that design goes away, lol.

true and blunt comments please.it's the only way i can improve.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.