PDA

View Full Version : Adapt talks

Houkah
09-24-2008, 04:29 AM
How was the Disney Bolt talk? My back was starting to bother me so i skipped out on the bolt stuff. Too much sitting in one spot doesn't agree with me. Did they show the entire movie? Or did they just talk about various shots in the film?

So far Adapt has been pretty cool. Andreas Deja's keynote with the disney sketches was quite possibly the most humbling experience i've ever had at a graphics conference heh! The way those sketches looked you could almost see them moving. Very inspiring stuff. I really enjoyed Jonathan Harbs talk on matte painting, and Craig Mullens was interesting as well. A lot of philosophical talk about the nature of digital art. Also i forgot the guys name but his nickname was 'easy'. The head he was messing around with in zbrush was pretty damn cool.

//edit - does anyone remember the name of the art movement that Craig Mullens was talking about? New Art or something like that?

Heozart
09-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Art Renewal

rayk
09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Anyone care to share notes from mullins talk? Would have loved to be there D:

nickmarshallvfx
09-26-2008, 12:46 AM
I would desperately have loved to be in the Jonathan Harb talk. I so wanted to be there! Can anyone share any notes or give an overview of what he talked about?

Cheers!

Nick

Houkah
09-26-2008, 01:56 AM
Jonathan Harb's talk was pretty good. It was probably the most technical in terms of actually demo'ing how he works in photoshop. He talked about various hotkeys and level range. He also demo'd a bit of matte painting snow, and i think buildings. I came into that talk late so someone else might have better info about it. Again, it was photoshop heavy so if you know photoshop very well you probably know most of what he showed. (adjustment layers, hotkeys for brush size, switching brush from hard to soft edge, etc)

btw thanks heozart, my memorys not what it used to be. Damn old age. :-p

Heozart
09-26-2008, 02:50 AM
No problem Houkah. Just so it doesn't mislead people who weren't there, Craig Mullin wasn't promoting Art Renewal, his views were the opposite.

nickmarshallvfx
09-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks Houkah! So the talk was more based around Photoshop than heavy matte painting techniques? In that case, yes, i probabl would have known most of what he said. Still, would be interesting to find out what he considers the most important functions of the program in his workflow. Was he promoting Whiskytree too?

Cheers!

cStroh
09-27-2008, 04:15 AM
Jonathan Harb basically talked about his most often used functions and gave tips (which turned from secret tips to mega tips eventually), but the majority of his talk truly came from questions and answers. A bit of talk of an 8bit versus 16bit workflow, and when you can paint in 8bit and just convert to 16 on shipping. A bit of demonstration of the limitations of 8bit wherein he used a number of levels filters to drop the variations in a matte painting and show how pixels would bunch to a single range.
A bit of WhiskeyTree promotion, and overall a very good talk, but slightly lacking on new material as most of his tips were hotkeys for brush adjustments and things.

Personally, Friday was the best in terms of speakers and speeches. Andrew Jones took over the 3d Masters friday morning and showed us his zBrush based workflow for character development, and bringing that into painter for additional work. Unfortunately, Painter crashed during that speech.
Andrew Jones was on once again for the 2d Masters session, and although he was hampered by the crashing of Painter (3-4 times, if not more, amazingly enough), still managed to entertain and enlighten the assembled crowd (from my perspective, at least). The debut of a finished, integrated "Wacosscilator", which was impressive to no end.

Stahlbergs speech was slightly dry, but probably the most technically informative of the group of speeches I attended. His jokes did a lot to break up the talk, and to be able to witness the first 3d artist whom I truly remembered and looked up to however many years ago was truly an experience.

I could write pages on the speeches and various talks, but it would hardly do justice to the characters of those present. Syd Mead, Stahlberg, Craig Mullins, Jason Manley, and especially Andrew Jones (who has such an interesting outlook on art, and such inspirational workflow I feel hard not to come out of his speeches with an even more intense drive to improve). It was certainly a time to remember, and it surely didn't hurt that Montreal is such a gorgeous city.

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2008, 04:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.