PDA

View Full Version : upgrading computer for animation

Shady3D
09-23-2008, 08:52 PM
hi all,

i don't know if this is the right place to ask, but i want to know what should i upgrade in my PC to make it better for 3d animation purpose like fast playback and fast interaction with your character using Maya.

my specs is :
Intel Pentium D 945 (dual processor) 3.40GHz x64
3.0 GB of Ram
VGA card 512 shared (256 main memory) Nvidia GeForce 7300
Motherboard by Abit AW8

RhettAllen
09-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Well what is your problem? What's acting slow or choppy or takes long to load or anything like that?

The setup you have sounds fairly up-to-date

Generally for animation the graphics card is going to play the biggest roll I believe.

Shady3D
09-23-2008, 09:27 PM
well one of the things when i switch the rigged model from low to high and try to move the hand it updates so slowly also if i make a playback it will be chunky for 24fps that's y i want to upgrade

2scale
09-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Your sys. specs seem more than suffiecient to run maya relativley well...If your looking for realtime playback you'll most likely never achive it with a hi res model, thats why low res proxies were invented along with playblasts....I've used maya on eveything from a modest sgi to an ultra hi end hp workstation and I can tell that it mostly has to do with how effecient you become with your rigs and your scene management.... Try to consult the autodesk hardware qualifications chart as well....G card and memory are crucial... But there is no substuitute for efficiency.
J

JayG
09-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Agreed, I've yet to see a system of any spec that can give realtime playback in Maya. Sometimes it's close but even with a low-res model you'll notice it just isn't exact and is always worth a Playblast.

Shady3D
09-24-2008, 03:26 PM
maybe u all are right but what controls the playback speed is it the Ram, VGA, Processor.

JayG
09-24-2008, 03:33 PM
With that system it shouldn't be too slow unless you're using a really high-res model. If you're using a medium res rig and it's really slow when you're just moving the controls around then you might have driver issues or some evil corrupted file or who knows what. Like I said I've never witnessed a system that could play a high-res rig in real time.

Wish I was more technical, sorry mate. =P

Shady3D
09-24-2008, 03:42 PM
well i want to know what controls what in Animation.

in other way what the processor affect in the 3d process and the same goes for vga and ram i want to know what is important and what is not, and sure this will help me and any one who wants to buy a new PC to know the important parts to focus on or the priority.

sebbonaparte
09-25-2008, 03:35 AM
The graphics card will have the most impact on playback speeds I imagine. A graphics card controls the rendering of the 3d view and therefore it will be the most important component in playing back an animated model in real time. You can get a decent consumer graphics card like a Nvidia 9800GT or an ATI 4870, or you could break out the big bucks for a workstation card, but that could very well be overkill for animation.

Shady3D
09-25-2008, 07:01 AM
thx a lot for ur info so if the graphic card controls the playback speed and the render so what the ram and processor do.

sebbonaparte
09-25-2008, 10:21 AM
The graphics card doesn't control the actual final rendering; in the 3d view, what you see is also rendered in realtime, much like a video game. The graphics card controls that. The RAM is useful for large scenes with lots of polys so things don't take a long time to jump and you can work with larger amounts of geometry. The CPU does the renders, so if you want fast render times, get a better processor.

Shady3D
09-25-2008, 10:30 AM
oh that's what i call useful information

so vga responsible for all the 3d data in the view port and the playback.
ram for more geometry.
processor for rendering.

RhettAllen
09-25-2008, 01:29 PM
well RAM is also a very important component in rendering. Though ram is all about size, processor is all about speed, and graphics card is all about realtime display. Though in some cases you can increase the size of information it loads into RAM and get faster render times because it can hold more information at once instead of breaking it up into sections.

Processor would also be the important factor in calculating a simulation, whereas the graphics card would be the important factor in displaying the simulation, and the RAM would hold the information for the simulation.

So the RAM holds the data to be readily used by the processor and graphics card.
The processor takes the data from RAM and processes it as asked from the user and sends it to the graphics card or back to the RAM.
The graphics card simply controls what you see on your screen in the application.

DanBroughton
10-01-2008, 11:13 PM
I found a big difference going from 32bit windows running 32bit maya, to 64 bit maya running on ubuntu 64 bit. Everything seemed much more snappy but as other posts have mentioned you will never get it running in real time with lots of hires models. Playblast away!

stewartjones
10-02-2008, 03:48 AM
All good info here. Viewport playback is never 100% realtime though, no matter what spec pc you have. You should be able to use your lo-rez model for most of the animation, just keep playblasting! :beer:

Shady3D
10-02-2008, 07:47 AM
thx alot guys that was so helpful info

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2008, 07:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.